6 Replies Latest reply on Dec 27, 2009 11:30 AM by the_wine_snob

Crashing and preview problems

Ofer Cohen

Hi Folks,

I had purchased the Premire Elements 8 pack a month ago and I find myself struggling with it on a daily basis and I will appreciate your help.

H/W Environment: Windows 7 Ultimate (32 bit), Intel Core Duo CPU T8100 2.1 GHz, 4GB RAM, 120GB free on my HDD

S/W Environment: Premiere elements 8.0 + Photosop 8.0 Elements + ProDAD plugins

Error message:  "Sorry, a serious error has occurred that requires Adobe Premiere Elements to shut down"

Problem description:

1) While working with the Premiere Elements 8, (even without ProDAD plugins) the system crushes again and again and its almost impossible to with it.

2) If I am lucky and I managed to create a basic project (few pictures with ProDAD transition effects) the Premiere is unable to run a preview show, the time bar is moving forward but the preview screen is freezing. in order to overcome this issue I had to save the project as a clip and than evaluate it.

3) Saving the project as a solution for #2 is taking approximatly 1.5 hour.

Thanks in advance,

Ofer

• 1. Re: Crashing and preview problems
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

It could be the video format you're loading into the program, Ofer. What type of camcorder is your video coming from and how are you getting it into your computer?

With your hardware you should have no problems working with video from a miniDV or even HDV (tape-based hi-def camcorder). It may be a struggle, however, to work with AVCHD or a non-standard format (such as video from a Flip camera or from a still camera).

Meantime, be sure to turn off the program's intrusive background processes, per the FAQs to the right of this forum.

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/503270?tstart=0

And, also per the FAQs, make sure you have manually updated Windows, get the latest nVidia drivers, if applicable, and ensure you have the latest version of Quicktiem.

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/416585?tstart=0

• 2. Re: Crashing and preview problems
            the_wine_snob Level 9

Ofer,

Welcome to the forum,

Along with Steve's question on the Assets (your source footage), if you need to gather more info on that footage, the freeware utility, G-Spot, can give you all of the necessary info.

One aspect of your system, that is only partially filled in, is your I/O sub-system, i.e. your HDD's, their size, speed, how they are allocated (you listed 120GB of free space, which should be adequate), and also your Virtual Memory (Page File). Is Windows dynamically managing this? What size is the Page File, and where is it located? As a note, having only one HDD on the system, and trying to get everything to function at the same time on that one HDD can be a real bottleneck. Many users cite a 3x physical HDD setup as the minimum for video editing, especially if it's HD material. A lot of people have had success with only 2x physical HDD's. Note the word "physical" before "HDD." If one has any partitions (logical HDD's), all bets are off. Those cause all sorts of issues.

Good luck, and please post a few more details,

Hunt

• 3. Re: Crashing and preview problems
              Ofer Cohen Level 1

Hi Steve,

1) I am using SONY Handycam DCR-SX30E and the video format is .mpg

2) I turned off the program's intrusive background processes and install the latest updates as you recommended.

Unfortunately the problem was not resolved.

I would like to emphasize that the problem that I am facing is not related to video at all, its happening even without any video (only jpg files)

After all the updates:

I created a small project contain of 10 jpg files( 3.5 MB each), NO video in it

I added 6 transition effects (Premiere effects) and 3 transition effects by ProDAD Adorage plugin

While trying to see the preview clip some transitions didnt appear at all

I tried to save the project as AVI like I used to do, the project couldn't complete the saving process An Error popup indicate that an "Error compiling movie. unknown error. "

After closing the Premiere completely and after several attempts I managed to save the file on my PC as an AVI format (it took 20 min to complete the process), but the result was an AVI with partial data on it ( only with the first effect and first jpg)

I would like to mention also that the main problem was not resolved and I am still facing severe crushes very frequently.

Regards,

Ofer

• 4. Re: Crashing and preview problems
                Ofer Cohen Level 1

Hi Hunt,

1) I have one physical HDD type Hitachi ATA device on my computer with one partition on it (250GB size)

2) Windows is managing my virtual memory automatically.

I tried in the past to install the software on a stronger PC that has three HDDs on it and it behaves the same.

Regards,

Ofer

• 5. Re: Crashing and preview problems
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

Ofer,

I created a small project contain of 10 jpg files( 3.5 MB each), NO video in it

First, resize your JPEG images in PS/PSE first to near the Frame Size in your Project. Large still images put an undue hardship on your system and on the program. Also, quality will be better in the resultant edited footage. This ARTICLE will give you tips on how to automate this process, and give you some background on large still images.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 6. Re: Crashing and preview problems
                    the_wine_snob Level 9
                    1) I have one physical HDD type Hitachi ATA device on my computer with one partition on it (250GB size)

Partitions are a hold-over from much earlier OS's, back when they could not see larger HDD's. What happens, when one has a partition is that the OS is told that they are two (or more) physical HDD's, and tries to use them as such. Unfortunately, they are one physical HDD, with one set of heads and one set of platters. The heads can only be over one section of the platters at one time. The OS does not understand this, and demands that they be over two, or more. It is impossible for the HDD to comply, but the OS does not understand the refusal to access two places at once. This is a major bottleneck and will often result in crashes at either the program, or the system end of things. At the very, very best, it will just slow down things unavoidably. Add the Virtual Memory Page File to that same partitioned HDD, and things get far worse. Nothing will function properly, because the OS is working on one assertion, and reality dictates another.

As per the comments above on large still images, I see two big problems with your Project and your system.

Good luck,

Hunt