8 Replies Latest reply on Dec 30, 2009 6:20 AM by Padwil

Transition query

Padwil

I haven't done this before and can't tell what I am doing wrong.

When I drag and drop a transition, centre at cut, it briefly shows a frame or two that I have previously edited out.   I can't fathom out how to stop this happening.

Anybody help me?

• 1. Re: Transition query
          the_wine_snob Level 9

Padwil,

What is hanging you us is Handles. These are the Frames in front of and after your set In & Out Points.

Here is a bit of background on them:

Handles_01.jpg

Handles_02.jpg

The secret is to give a few more Frames before and after your In & Out Points. That's why it pays to start the camera before the actual action and leave it running for a few seconds after the action has finished.

Good luck,

Hunt

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Transition query
            the_wine_snob Level 9

The concept of Handles was much more easily grasped, when one edited film, or when video editing was only with A-B Roll editing. The Handles were seen and obvious. With single-Track editing, they are hidden from view, and out of mind, until one adds a Transition. Suddenly, one gets exactly what you did - either Frames that were "cut out," or PrE telling them that Frames will be duplicated, and there are not enough Handles available. The latter comes when the In, or Out Point is the physical beginning, or end of a Clip. To know when that is the case, look in the upper corner of the Clip in the Timeline. There will be a "dog-ear" in that corner. When two Clips with zero Handles are butted up, each will have a dog-ear, which will appear like a little equilateral triangle on those two clips.

Once one gets a "handle" on Handles [puns intended], they will quickly alter their editing to leave them, both when editing and when shooting They will no longer be an abstract concept.

Good luck,

Hunt.

1 person found this helpful
            • 3. Re: Transition query
              the_wine_snob Level 9

Here's a look at the dog-ears, indicating no Handles on two Clips, that are butted up:

No_Handles_on_Clips_01.jpg

Hope that this helps,

Hunt

• 4. Re: Transition query
                Padwil Level 1

Sorry, I am new to all this, and thanks for your help. 

Do I have to decide I am going to insert a transition before clipping in order to leave a bit extra.   I have merrily split and clipped, then when previewing again decided I would try a transition.   This is also the first time I have heard of 'handles' so that was good to know.

• 5. Re: Transition query
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

You can make that decision either before, or after, you Trim your Clips (setting the In & Out Points). Doing so before is easier, as you would then set the In & Out Points with Handles in mind. If you do it after, you will need to reset the In & Out Points, but that is easily done, just by Click-dragging on the Head, or Tail of the Trimmed Clip. If you're getting, say 2 Frames from the "next" scene, then just Click-drag on the Tail of that Clip, shortening it by 2 Frames. Done.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 6. Re: Transition query
                    Padwil Level 1

Still persevering, but can understand what you are telling me.   Thanks for all your help.   Any chance you could point me in the direction of good, basic, tutorials for Premiere Elements 7.   Where I come from there are plenty of classes for Photoshop, but not Premiere.

• 7. Re: Transition query
                      Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Well, a great place to start is my set of free tutorials at Muvipix.com.

You'll find a link to them in the FAQs to the right of this forum.

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/537685?tstart=0

• 8. Re: Transition query
                        Padwil Level 1

Thank you, will have  good look later.

Love the name of the site, I read what it stood for!!