14 Replies Latest reply on Dec 31, 2009 9:32 AM by tinylion_uk

Flex vs Flash

mari8899 Level 1

I'm little confused about this change from Flex to Flash. My question is will Flex as a program be in the future or Flash Builder is the name and I can forget Flex Builder to get any new version in the future ?

• 1. Re: Flex vs Flash
          pauland Level 4

Flash Builder is effectively "Flex Builder 4". I think they are trying to market it as a professional IDE for development that uses the Flex SDK.

I think it is confusing and is a bit like shooting yourself in the foot.

• 2. Re: Flex vs Flash
            Gregory Lafrance Level 6

Adobe was facing two dilemmas, one, clients who hear about Flex and then hear that it is related to Flash get nervous because of those irritating banner ads. Two, people who hear about Flash think of those irritating banner ads.

So I assume that Adobe figured if people are going to think of those irritating banner ads anyway, and because they are trying to push the "Flash Platform", then just change the name to Flash Builder.

So when you hear Flash Builder 4 just think Flex Builder 4, and nirvana will be restored.

Personally I think it was not a good decision to make this name change.

If this post answers your question or helps, please mark it as such.

Greg Lafrance
            www.ChikaraDev.com

Flex Development, Training, and Support Services

• 3. Re: Flex vs Flash
              pauland Level 4

Greg Lafrance wrote:

Personally I think it was not a good decision to make this name change.

+1 to that.

• 4. Re: Flex vs Flash
                Muzak Level 3
                Adobe was facing two dilemmas, one, clients who hear about Flex and then hear that it is related to Flash get nervous because of those irritating banner ads. Two, people who hear about Flash think of those irritating banner ads.

BS!!

The namechange is just to make a clear distinction between Flex as a tool (Flex Builder) and the framework (Flex SDK).

http://theflashblog.com/?p=998

• 5. Re: Flex vs Flash
                  pauland Level 4

Muzak wrote:

The namechange is just to make a clear distinction between Flex as a tool (Flex Builder) and the framework (Flex SDK).

I don't think there's anything clear about the name change.

Flash Builder? cool. Is that for Flash?

No. it's for Flex.

What's that?

A programming framework.

So why is it called Flash Builder then?

Beats me...

But this thread is now heading OT..

• 6. Re: Flex vs Flash
                    ab1301 Level 1

From your link:

"What about clients who cringe when they hear the word Flash?
                    Here you have two options. You can continue to simply use the term Flex or you can educate them that Flash is now a mature development platform and not simply annoying skip intro movies. We as a community need to spread the word about what Flash really is now. Also you really have to have your head under a rock to not realize that Flex applications run in the Flash player."

Earlier in the blog it says the purpose is to clarify the distinction between Flex Builder and the Flex SDK, but the reality is that people are, in fact, more confused rather than less confused, and this was a very predictable outcome.  The reason for the name change revealed in this quote is to recruit Flex developers to help change the perception of the "Flash Platform"--to get rid of the "cringe" factor.  Given the entirely predictable confusion and controversy surrounding the name change, and given the fact that the "Flash Platform" is a much larger piece of the pie than Flex alone, this seems like the factor that is the most likely to have actually motivated Adobe to change the name.

• 7. Re: Flex vs Flash
                      Muzak Level 3

Well, I'd say yes

Both output to swf.. one uses the Flex SDK the other doesn't.

To be honest, saying "is that for Flash" doesn't make any sense, unless by "Flash" you mean the Flash file format (swf), in which case the answer is yes as I already mentioned.

• 8. Re: Flex vs Flash
                        pauland Level 4

Muzak wrote:

Well, I'd say yes

Both output to swf.. one uses the Flex SDK the other doesn't.

To be honest, saying "is that for Flash" doesn't make any sense, unless by "Flash" you mean the Flash file format (swf), in which case the answer is yes as I already mentioned.

It's all very well being right at a technical level, but if you don't fully understand (and most people don't)  the relationships between the Flash IDE, Flash Builder, the Flex SDK and the Flash player runtime, then Flash Builder is a really confusing concept.

The problem isn't so much the people who understand that relationship, but those that don't and Flash Builder makes things far more confusing than Flex Builder ever did. People are seriously confused by Flash Builder and it's relationship with Flex.

It's important that people on the periphery of the Flash/Flex world understand the relationship between Flash and Flex and the toolset. I realise you like the term "Flash Builder", but I think it's muddied the waters rather than clarified them.

In your original blog reference, there's a great suggestion from "Banned of Boston":

OLD NAME –> SUGGESTED NEW NAME

Flex Builder  –>Flash Developer, with Flex  (or maybe: Flex & Flash Developer)

Flash IDE –> Flash Animator

Catalyst –> Flash Designer

Flash Player –> Flash Virtual Machine

Which is rather better than what we have now.

Paul

• 9. Re: Flex vs Flash
                          Muzak Level 3

OLD NAME –> SUGGESTED NEW NAME

Flex Builder  –>Flash Developer, with Flex  (or maybe: Flex & Flash Developer)

Flash IDE –> Flash Animator

Catalyst –> Flash Designer

Flash Player –> Flash Virtual Machine

Wow, I hope you're joking.. seriously..

Flash Developer is, well.. a developer, a person, not a tool.

Flash Animator.. the Flash IDE allows for more than just animating.. so Animator doesn't do it any justice.

Flash Designer.. same as developer applies here.. furhtermore, you don't "design" in Catalyst, that is done in Fireworks or Photoshop, etc..

And you probably need to look up what a virtual machine is , but here's a clue.. the Flash Player includes a VM among other things, such as a vector rendering engine.

• 10. Re: Flex vs Flash
                            pauland Level 4

Flash Developer is, well.. a developer, a person, not a tool

Well, Flash Develop then..

Flash Animator.. the Flash IDE allows for more than just animating.. so Animator doesn't do it any justice.

Flash Animate plus ..  Flash CS5 is so expressive of function

Flash Designer.. same as developer applies here.. furhtermore, you don't "design" in Catalyst, that is done in Fireworks or Photoshop, etc..

I could go with Flash Design Catalyst..

And you probably need to look up what a virtual machine is ,

No, I don't

but here's a clue.. the Flash Player includes a VM among other things, such as a vector rendering engine.

That's as may be, but people don't need a product name to double as a complete feature set.

Anyway, you and I are really wasting our time on this.

• 11. Re: Flex vs Flash
                              Muzak Level 3
                              Well, Flash Develop then..

Try again.. http://www.flashdevelop.org/

That's as may be, but people don't need a product name to double as a complete feature set.

True, and Flex Builder was perfectly fine, but I do understand they want the name to have "Flash" in it to better indicate it belongs to the Flash Platform toolset. From what I understand that's their main goal with the namechange, next to making a distinction between the framework and dev tool.

In the end, I really don't care what they call it

• 12. Re: Flex vs Flash
                                David_F57 Level 5

Gee, im gone a week and I miss a brawl about Flashbuilder and how it gets designers all confused

@Muzak- good to see you back with that fighting spirit

David.

Happy New Year everyone......

• 13. Re: Flex vs Flash
                                  pauland Level 4

David_F57 wrote:

I miss a brawl about Flashbuilder and how it gets designers all confused

LOL, it get ANYONE confused.. ;-)

Happy New Year (soon)

• 14. Re: Flex vs Flash
                                    tinylion_uk Level 2

" designers all confused "

Well designers yes... I've seen two of them actually have a fist fight because one of them liked to use 0x222224 rather than 0x222222 as our darkest grey! An actual honest to goodness fist fight.

Happy new year everyone. Look after yourselves tonight.

tinylion development & design