6 Replies Latest reply on Dec 27, 2009 10:50 AM by the_wine_snob

cs3 questions re artefact and rendering

Level 4

Hi everybody

I am still robodog2 !  moved to another computer for internet at least until I get my probs solved on premiere computer...

I thank you all beforehand for any advice and help in this matter...

1) Using Premiere pro cs3

2) On a Dell Inspiron 530 ( oink ).  However, upgraded power supply, cpu, ram, graphics card as follows:

Dell Inspiron 530
      Pentium dual core E5300 @ 2.60 Ghz
      3 GB Ram

XP service pack 3

Nvidia GeForce 8800 GT graphics card
      Driver: Nvidia ver 6.14.11.9562
      11/20/2009

First Issue: Rendering Video

File size info:

Filesizes...currently 2 files of video on timeline
      and 2 soundfiles.
      2 Video files on timeline:  filesize:  (1.3 gig) x 2
      Sound files totalling 41,000 kb (40 meg).

Here is info from Gspot about one video file on timeline:

Gspot info left screen area:

gSpot-left-panel.jpg

Gspot info right screen area:

gSpot-right-panel.jpg

My preferences (edit / pref ):

proj-settings-video-renering.jpg

rendering choices in preferences:

proj-settings-video-render-choices.jpg

Question: when rendering on timeline does it use these settings in the preferences or is this just for exporting ?

If rendering on the timeline uses these settings then I should be using the DivX 6.8.5 codec , correct ?

These are my settings in Preferences  / General  ....does it look OK ?

pref-general.jpg

you can see some artefact happening above (circled)....that is the NEXT issue....

And below is my Project General Settings:  Does it look OK ?

proj-settings-general.jpg

Thank you for looking at all this....

So I have two problems...

1) current rendering from timeline makes video result look like it is losing a frame here and there....not drastically horrible, but not good either.

2) artefacts, although not as bad as they were with phsX enabled, are still happening a little bit....I would rather not roll back the driver if I can make manual adjustments to some of the nVidia settings instead.  Like, whether the application controls certain aspects or I ask the hardware to handle those actions (basically I think these choices are for 3d gaming and what control the applications have for the settings).

Thank you very much for all you help !

Rod

• 1. Re: cs3 questions re artefact and rendering
          the_wine_snob Level 9

Rod,

Do not edit DivX encoded material. It will not work well, if at all.

Get a file converter, like Prism (free), or DigitalMedia Converter (shareware), and convert your DivX material to something that is editable, like DV-AVI Type II for SD material, or HDV for HD material. Note: you have lost most quality in the DivX compression. It is a "delivery-only" format. It's good for that, if one wants small files of decent quality for streaming - NOT for editing.

Also, do not choose the CinePak CODEC for delivery. What is your intended delivery scheme? There will be much better CODEC's to choose, just not CinePak.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 2. Re: cs3 questions re artefact and rendering
            Level 4

Apology:

My file size statement and what the filesize in Gspot confirms are two different sizes and Gspot is correct....Sorry ...files much smaller than what I stated.

sheesh...

Rod

• 3. Re: cs3 questions re artefact and rendering
              the_wine_snob Level 9

In this case, can you go back to before the DivX encoding? That would be far better than even a good conversion. Once an AV file has been heavily compressed, the quality is gone and gone for good. You can do nothing to ever get it back. Then, if you edit, and Export to any compressed format/CODEC, you loose more quality. No way around that.

With conversion, DivX material can be easily edited, so long as one converts to a non-GOP format, that PrPRo likes, say that DV-AVI Type II. Still, the quality is lost, so going back to a point prior to the DivX compression will benefit you.

A good analogy of DivX quality would be: you have a DOC file, and print it out on your 1200 dpi printer onto good stock. Looks great. This is the original DV-AVI Type II footage from Capture. Now, you FAX this to a friend (this would be something like doing a DVD-Video in MPEG-2 CODEC). Your friend then writes some notes on the FAX, makes a copy of it on the copier machine, and then FAX'es this back to you. The resultant FAX on your end would be the DivX compression. Even with a good OCR program, you will have difficulty getting this back to a form that looks good in digital form. Does this quality loss analogy make sense?

Good luck, and please do not try to edit DivX, or you WILL go crazy. You will never get good, or clean edits. Save DivX only for Export as a highly-compressed delivery format for streaming data.

Hunt

• 4. Re: cs3 questions re artefact and rendering
                Ann Bens Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Its not the size its the codec, as Bill stated before do not use Divx and do not use Cinepack.

1 person found this helpful
                • 5. Re: cs3 questions re artefact and rendering
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

Size is important, but not for this problem. It's the CODEC, as Ann confirms. Do not disregard Frame Size and Project/Sequence Presets, but do address the CODEC issue first. You will get much better results and be much happier with the editing experience.

Good luck,

Hunt

PS - remember, DivX is for delivery-only. It is an Export option, when you want highly-compressed streaming delivery with pretty good quality. It is a last-step and should not appear anywhere before that last step. If you get it handed to you - convert first, and live with the quality loss.

• 6. Re: cs3 questions re artefact and rendering
                    Level 4

OK, thank you both,

Hmmm.  Two out of two....  1) using DivX, and using Cinepak

I don't recall exactly but I think DivX was the only option to export my black and white, scaled down, brightness contrast adjusted video from VirtualDub.

But, yes, I have the original AVI type 2 files and can probably do what Glenn suggested in the first place, which was to just make the project 360x240 and bring in the 720x480 stuff and scale it down in Premiere.  Goes to show you.

Now, as to my question: Does rendering the timeline use the edit / preferences chosen codec for exporting ??  Or what ??

And any ideas about this stupid artefact stuff ??  I know you mentioned it might be over or under acceleration, Bill, but I'm really not liking the idea of making the graphics card slower ( it is full acceleration now) to get rid of a few artefacts, as long as it isn't also degrading the general performance of Premiere in other ways too.

What do you think ?

Your analogy of the faxes and so on are very good and understandable.  One might have said, "Imagine taking your best suit and throwing it into a dumpster in alphabet city, and leaving it there for a week.  Do you think you'll ever get that suit back in good shape ???"

Rod