9 Replies Latest reply on Dec 27, 2009 5:34 PM by stevelyles

Preview Window problem

phifey

Good evening.

As the topic says already, i havea  problem with the preview window in premiere. It doesn't play anything. I get the first image of each video file, but when i hit play, it just freezes at that one pictures. sound goes fine though. I can't even look at single frames. Project settings have been HDV 720p /30 fps, and the files are xvid 4 compressed (1280x720 resolution). I checked the preview in after effects, and its perfectly fine there.

I set the preview quality to draft, and tried the few settings that i had under playback settings. Didn't help.

I have a Q6600, 4 gb ram and a gtx 260. that shouldn't be really the problem.

Can someone help? Because it's impossible to work like this.

Thanks in advance

• 1. Re: Preview Window problem
          the_wine_snob Level 9

Do NOT use Xvid source material. It is a delivery-only, highly-compressed format/CODEC, and is not editable. Conversion is the best solution for you. That, and its commercial cousin, DivX will not edit properly, if at all.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 2. Re: Preview Window problem
            the_wine_snob Level 9

See this THREAD for the reasons and solutions.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 3. Re: Preview Window problem
              phifey Level 1

oh, good to know, although i never had problems with previews in vegas with dvix avis.

i have absically a lot of images which i need to make a video from. i use virtualdub for it. the only problem is, that it deosnt have any sufficient codecs for it. uncompressed is not an option, because it takes way too much disc space. is it possible to import such images into premiere and do the same, like in vdub?

besides, i just tried it with an uncompressed avi file. it doesn't work either. i tried other formats, like mov files. same problem.

• 4. Re: Preview Window problem
                Bill Gehrke Most Valuable Participant

What is the format of your still images?

• 5. Re: Preview Window problem
                  phifey Level 1

its jpeg at it's highest quality. i can only export as tga or jpeg, but because tga tak

es ages to do, and eats massively disc space i cant use it

• 6. Re: Preview Window problem
                    the_wine_snob Level 9

What are the pixel x pixel dimensions of your JPEG's? Are they the same, or very near to your Project's Frame Size?

Good luck,

Hunt

• 7. Re: Preview Window problem
                      phifey Level 1

same. 1280x720

you really think that is a codec and fileformat related problem? i dont want to refer always to vegas, but it works there. it seems to me like premiere has problems using enough ram or cpu power or something.

• 8. Re: Preview Window problem
                        the_wine_snob Level 9
                        same. 1280x720

No problem there. Will not be a problem.

That some NLE programs edit different CODEC's is to be expected. I keep a half-dozen different NLE programs (plus more converters) on my system just for that purpose. I do not actually edit in them, but use them to prep odd footage (that I cannot get original footage of, before the compression) for use in PrPRo, because it works so well. Vegas just happens to be one that I do not have.

Because PrPRo is written for a bit more narrow audience, it sticks close the the editable CODEC's. Now, it will Export to most of the delivery schemes, just not edit them.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 9. Re: Preview Window problem
                          stevelyles Level 1

Hello  ..this is a known bug...you either get an external preview or you can edit via the program monitor if you have external device disabled.....or just to confuse things you can set your audio to external audio then the preview monitor AND external monitor will work I just switch back and forth as needed "willy nilly"

cheers

Steve