8 Replies Latest reply on Dec 27, 2009 8:31 PM by the_wine_snob

Taking along time to export videos

skye3000

I'm farely new to Adobe Premiere. I am using Premiere CS3. I created a short 8 minute video with 1 video clip, an overlayed audio clip, and a picture at the end. When I try to export the video, it seems to take forever. The methods I have tried include going to File>Export>Movie or Adobe Media Encoder. I've tried various settings on the Media encoder with the same results. For a simple 8 minute video, it's estimating 3 hours to render it. Usually at the end of the 3 hours, I get an error. The video still works but it looks really bad. I use another program called Corel Videostudio and created the exact same video. It took 20 minutes to export as a wmv and about the same to encode and burn to a DVD. Am I missing something?

Here are my PC Specs

Windows 7 Ulitmate

2.66 Ghz Intel Core i7

3 GB of DDR3

150 GB SATA HDD

EVGA Motherboard

EVGA Geforce 6800 GS 256MB memory

• 1. Re: Taking along time to export videos
          Bill Gehrke Most Valuable Participant

First problem I can see is that you have only one disk drive, a violation of Adobe's system requirements.  Premiere requires at least two internal hard drives.  What is the format of your video that you are editing and how much are you using video effects on the video?

• 2. Re: Taking along time to export videos
            skye3000 Level 1

actually I do have 2 disk drives. I neglected to mention that. I have a 150 GB SATA driver for my os and programs and a 400 GB drive for the rest of my files, which is where the videos are stored. The files I am working with are MPG. They were originally AVCHD from my Canon HF20. I converted them to mpg because premiere doesn't like the original format.

• 3. Re: Taking along time to export videos
              the_wine_snob Level 9

Though not a direct help, CS4 added full AVCHD support.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 4. Re: Taking along time to export videos
                skye3000 Level 1

I may have found the issue. I had taken a 14 minute video and sped it up to about 4x. When I imported a wmv and cropped it to 8  minutes, I was able to export it in about 5 minutes. I'll look into getting cs4. Thanks.

Also, what is the best format to export videos in if you want to burn them to DVD?

• 5. Re: Taking along time to export videos
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

For burning to DVD-Video, you have two choices:

DV-AVI Type II w/ 48KHz 16-bit Audio in either PCM/WAV, or DVD-compliant AC3 (stereo, or DD 5.1 SS with the SurCode encoder plug-in). I choose to NOT mux these, and Export as elemental/elementary streams, i.e. one Video-only, and one Audio-only file.

or DVD-compliant MPEG-2. You can choose to either mux, or Export as elemental/elementary streams, as above.

In CS3 and even more in CS4, you can also use Adobe Dynamic Link to get your Sequences into Encore for authoring and Burning.

Good luck,

Hunt

PS - if you are not using Encore (I strongly recommend it), other authoring programs might have slightly different requirements, but I doubt it.

• 6. Re: Taking along time to export videos
                    the_wine_snob Level 9

Also, WMV is not a good format to edit. It is designed for delivery of streaming data. Can you avoid using WMV to edit? The quality will be improved and the editing experience will be improved too.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 7. Re: Taking along time to export videos
                      skye3000 Level 1

I probably won't edit WMV's. The only editing I'll be doing is most likely from my camcorder. The file format is MTS which seems to look a lot like mpg. however, it still needs re-encoded before importing as an mpg. After conversion, it is the same size as the MTS. The only thing I would use WMV for is storing it in a smaller file format.

Thanks for the help.

• 8. Re: Taking along time to export videos
                        the_wine_snob Level 9

That is a good plan. The MPEG format/CODEC can have built-in problems, but you seem ahead of those. The .WMV is an Export format, for streaming media, and so long as you do not wish to edit it later, can be very useful.

Good luck,

Hunt