11 Replies Latest reply on Nov 8, 2008 5:06 AM by Newsgroup_User

Dreamweaver for Linux CS4

mywitsend
      I've recently switched to Ubuntu as my default OS. The exponential improvement in Linux usability over the last year or two suggests that the long awaited tipping point for Linux migration could be close.

The big thing tying many users to Windows and Apple is niche programs. In my case it's Dreamweaver for my dynamic web content.

Please, please Adobe hear my plea.

I've sworn an oath in blood never to buy another Windows program and I'm too old to start again with Macs, so I'm morally obliged to stick with an XP virtual machine and the CS3 suite until you guys produce Dreamweaver for Linux or my knowledge of PHP improves.

Whom do I have to kill for a hearing?

There's money in it.
        • 1. Re: Dreamweaver for Linux CS4
          Level 7
          mywitsend wrote:
          > I've recently switched to Ubuntu as my default OS. The exponential improvement
          > in Linux usability over the last year or two suggests that the long awaited
          > tipping point for Linux migration could be close.
          >
          > The big thing tying many users to Windows and Apple is niche programs. In my
          > case it's Dreamweaver for my dynamic web content.
          >
          > Please, please Adobe hear my plea.
          >
          > I've sworn an oath in blood never to buy another Windows program and I'm too
          > old to start again with Macs, so I'm morally obliged to stick with an XP
          > virtual machine and the CS3 suite until you guys produce Dreamweaver for Linux
          > or my knowledge of PHP improves.

I flirted with the idea of switching to Linux for years but finally gave
          up, for several reasons. One was the niche program problem you
          mentioned. In addition, I had the perception that Linux just wasn't
          ready for prime time yet; I need something really user friendly.

So I finally ditched M$ for a Mac and have no regrets. But I'd still
          like to give Linux a try some day. With so many different organizations,
          both commercial and open source, now shattering Bill Gates' monopolistic
          empire, I suspect Linux may finally spread its wings and fly.

--
          David Blomstrom: Pol-IT-ics Expert
          http://www.geobop.org/ | http://www.invisible-republic.org/
          http://www.billysoft.org/ (M$)
          http://www.freedomware.us/Topics/Mac_vs_PC/
          • 2. Re: Dreamweaver for Linux CS4
            Ben M Adobe Community Professional
            Adobe does not check these forums:

http://www.adobe.com/cfusion/mmform/index.cfm?name=wishform

Also the statistics show that the majority is still with Windows and Mac. The closest to Unix that you can get is a Mac. And honestly, you should go after Microsoft first. They are the trend setter with software. If Office is not on Linux then why would Adobe jump ship?

Also if you are too old to jump to a Mac how did you ever make the jump to Linux? I find that having a Mac store and tons of live people with support and training is a lot more inviting then Linux for someone who doesn't feel they have the time for a learning curve.
            • 3. Re: Dreamweaver for Linux CS4
              mywitsend Level 1
              quote:

Originally posted by: Newsgroup User
              I flirted with the idea of switching to Linux for years but finally gave
              up ........ Linux just wasn't ready for prime time yet ......... I'd still
              like to give Linux a try some day ......... I suspect Linux may finally spread its wings and fly.
              David Blomstrom: Pol-IT-ics Expert

My post was meant to be somewhat tongue-in-cheek. i'm not expecting miracles. :)

I've been dipping my toe into Linux for 10 years or so and like you always gave it away. Ubuntu 8.04 and virtual machines have made it a viable option for me now. It's a no brainer for those whose needs are basic - email, Internet and word processing - and i don't believe it would be as difficult to introduce your Grandmother to Ubuntu as it would be to Windows. Mainly because it's hard to break.

But as you say, the niche programs like DW, music arrangement, video editing, etc. are a big barrier. My philosophy is to use both OS's until Linux apps overtake my current Windows apps in usability.

• 4. Re: Dreamweaver for Linux CS4
                mywitsend Level 1
                quote:

Originally posted by: SnakEyez02

.... the statistics show that the majority is still with Windows and Mac. ...... if you are too old to jump to a Mac how did you ever make the jump to Linux? ...

You're quite right of course. In my case I'm retired and I don't want to make the $$$ investment in 3 new Mac machines. Anyway I run a Windows help site and blog. :o(

MS have annoyed me with the top heavy Vista edifice, learning Linux is a bit of a challenge and it's fun for a slightly over-the-hill retiree.

Things could get interesting. If Linux use increased 10-fold, which is not impossible at the rate at which it's improving, companies like Adobe could find the prospect of producing Linux apps attractive. CS3 is a great suite of products so I live in hope.
                • 5. Re: Dreamweaver for Linux CS4
                  mywitsend Level 1
                  quote:

http://www.adobe.com/cfusion/mmform/index.cfm?name=wishform

Thanks for that link SnakeEyez.
                  I've made a request. I'm sure they'll heed my plaintive cry.
                  :o)
                  • 6. Re: Dreamweaver for Linux CS4
                    Level 7
                    David Blomstrom wrote:
                    > So I finally ditched M$ for a Mac and have no regrets.

lol OS X is Linux, just with Apples twist on it :)

Steve
                    • 7. Re: Dreamweaver for Linux CS4
                      Level 7
                      > Things could get interesting. If Linux use increased 10-fold, which is not
                      > impossible at the rate at which it's improving,

It would need to increase specifically in the WORKSTATION market to make a
                      real impact on Adobe's marketing evaluations, I think. And your 10-fold
                      number sounds about right.

--
                      Murray --- ICQ 71997575
                      Adobe Community Expert
                      (If you *MUST* email me, don't LAUGH when you do so!)
                      ==================
                      http://www.projectseven.com/go - DW FAQs, Tutorials & Resources
                      http://www.dwfaq.com - DW FAQs, Tutorials & Resources
                      ==================

"mywitsend" <webforumsuser@macromedia.com> wrote in message
                      news:g34n0l$jn1$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                      >
                      quote:

>
                      > .... the statistics show that the majority is still with Windows and Mac.
                      > ...... if you are too old to jump to a Mac how did you ever make the jump
                      > to
                      > Linux? ...

>
                      > You're quite right of course. In my case I'm retired and I don't want to
                      > make
                      > the $$$ investment in 3 new Mac machines. Anyway I run a Windows help site
                      > and
                      > blog. :o(
                      >
                      > MS have annoyed me with the top heavy Vista edifice, learning Linux is a
                      > bit
                      > of a challenge and it's fun for a slightly over-the-hill retiree.
                      >
                      > Things could get interesting. If Linux use increased 10-fold, which is not
                      > impossible at the rate at which it's improving, companies like Adobe could
                      > find
                      > the prospect of producing Linux apps attractive. CS3 is a great suite of
                      > products so I live in hope.
                      >

• 8. Re: Dreamweaver for Linux CS4
                        PWhipp
                        I'm a professional online application developer. I use DWCS3 as an html editor in spite of its price because its the best around.

I'd like to add my voice - please Adobe - provide a native Linux port of your applications. Its not much effort if they already run on Mac.

The lack of DWCS3 and native photoshop were the only things really holding me back from a switch to Linux for some time because ubuntu (www.ubuntu.com) has eclipsed MS Windows for ease of use and performance with 8.04 and widened the gap with its latest update 8.10.

Last week, I went for it anyway and switched my main development workstation over to ubuntu 8.10. I use Wine to run Dreamweaver in ubuntu (google "install Dreamweaver Linux" for detailed instructions). I've dropped photoshop in favour of GIMP - its not quite as good but I can run it natively in Linux.

DWCS3 runs somewhat faster than it did under XP. I don't know why.

The Sun OpenOffice suite that comes free with ubuntu is at least as good as MS Office Pro and has so far imported all my spreadsheets and documents without any issues (yes it works with macros).

The only reason I keep a Windows system in my office now is so that I can reproduce issues with IE7.
                        • 9. Re: Dreamweaver for Linux CS4
                          brightbelt Level 1
                          Hi,
                          I'm a Linux fan and run Ubuntu 8.10 on my iMac in dual booting using rEFIt.

To me , CrossOver was worth the money; I've worked with both CrossOver Linux and CrossOver Mac (I'm a PC-2-Mac converter) .

For CrossOver Linux, I found that it ran Macromedia's Studio MX very well (Not Studio MX 2004 <--- that has compatibility issues) and Photoshop 7.0 very well. Of course, these work on Wine as well and that's free. And the newest version of CrossOver I think supports PS CS2 and if PWhipp is right, DW CS3.

In the end, like other folks here, it's a quality issue and programs native to Linux do not usually have the quality that programs like DW and Photoshop have.

Technically, I could do a lot from a PC using Ubuntu with CrossOver Linux and using DW Studio MX or CS3, and Photoshop 7.0 or CS2.

But then, for one, I'm stuck with older versions of software until Linux catches up. And then, there's Flash creation, Movie /DVD creation and editing, Music notation software, Professional Audio Recording Software and quality On-CD Printing for me in my profession.

It really begins to add up and so when you really get down to it, Linux still has a long way to go.

• 10. Re: Dreamweaver for Linux CS4
                            Level 7
                            PWhipp wrote:
                            > I'm a professional online application developer. I use DWCS3 as an html editor
                            > in spite of its price because its the best around.
                            >
                            > I'd like to add my voice - please Adobe - provide a native Linux port of your
                            > applications. Its not much effort if they already run on Mac.
                            >
                            > The lack of DWCS3 and native photoshop were the only things really holding me
                            > back from a switch to Linux for some time because ubuntu (www.ubuntu.com) has
                            > eclipsed MS Windows for ease of use and performance with 8.04 and widened the
                            > gap with its latest update 8.10.
                            >
                            > Last week, I went for it anyway and switched my main development workstation
                            > over to ubuntu 8.10. I use Wine to run Dreamweaver in ubuntu (google "install
                            > Dreamweaver Linux" for detailed instructions). I've dropped photoshop in favour
                            > of GIMP - its not quite as good but I can run it natively in Linux.
                            >
                            > DWCS3 runs somewhat faster than it did under XP. I don't know why.
                            >
                            > The Sun OpenOffice suite that comes free with ubuntu is at least as good as MS
                            > Office Pro and has so far imported all my spreadsheets and documents without
                            > any issues (yes it works with macros).
                            >
                            > The only reason I keep a Windows system in my office now is so that I can
                            > reproduce issues with IE7.
                            >

Thanks for the tips about running Dreamweaver under WINE. I'll have to
                            give it a try.

I'm currently using CS3 on a Mac, but I just purchased my first netbook.
                            Though I'm loathe to give any more money to Bill Gates, I opted for a
                            netbook running on Windows XP, largely for the larger hard drive. I then
                            installed Ubuntu alongside Windows, and I'm looking forward to learning
                            how to work with it.

I, too, wish Linux would get its act together and emulate Firefox in
                            catching up. I suspect one of the problems is that developers' efforts
                            are diluted by the diversity of Linux distros. Another problem is that
                            Linux fans tend to be geeks who really don't give a damn about making
                            anything user friendly.

Still another problem is Microsoft, which has been working behind the
                            scenes to hamstring Linux.

Though Darth Gates has managed to get his tentacles around the netbook
                            market, I susepct the mobile industry will still go a long ways towards
                            publicizing Linux, especially with the economy racing to the ground.

At any rate, I'm attending a local LUG meeting tomorrow, so I should
                            soon be up and running. I'll check out the link you offered and see if I
                            can install CS3 - or at least Dreamweaver - on Ubuntu.

--
                            David Blomstrom: PolITics Expert
                            • 11. Re: Dreamweaver for Linux CS4
                              Level 7
                              You are not talking to Adobe here. This forum is only populated and
                              regularly read by other users.

The decision to open a new platform development program is not a popularity
                              issue, or a convenience issue, it's a business issue. If/when Adobe
                              estimates that the size of the market justifies the enormous expense for
                              such a task, they will do it. It's simple.

--
                              Murray --- ICQ 71997575
                              Adobe Community Expert
                              (If you *MUST* email me, don't LAUGH when you do so!)
                              ==================
                              http://www.projectseven.com/go - DW FAQs, Tutorials & Resources
                              http://www.dwfaq.com - DW FAQs, Tutorials & Resources
                              ==================

"PWhipp" <webforumsuser@macromedia.com> wrote in message
                              news:gf3erc$53$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                              > I'm a professional online application developer. I use DWCS3 as an html
                              > editor
                              > in spite of its price because its the best around.
                              >
                              > I'd like to add my voice - please Adobe - provide a native Linux port of
                              > your
                              > applications. Its not much effort if they already run on Mac.
                              >
                              > The lack of DWCS3 and native photoshop were the only things really holding
                              > me
                              > back from a switch to Linux for some time because ubuntu (www.ubuntu.com)
                              > has
                              > eclipsed MS Windows for ease of use and performance with 8.04 and widened
                              > the
                              > gap with its latest update 8.10.
                              >
                              > Last week, I went for it anyway and switched my main development
                              > workstation
                              > over to ubuntu 8.10. I use Wine to run Dreamweaver in ubuntu (google
                              > "install
                              > Dreamweaver Linux" for detailed instructions). I've dropped photoshop in
                              > favour
                              > of GIMP - its not quite as good but I can run it natively in Linux.
                              >
                              > DWCS3 runs somewhat faster than it did under XP. I don't know why.
                              >
                              > The Sun OpenOffice suite that comes free with ubuntu is at least as good
                              > as MS
                              > Office Pro and has so far imported all my spreadsheets and documents
                              > without
                              > any issues (yes it works with macros).
                              >
                              > The only reason I keep a Windows system in my office now is so that I can
                              > reproduce issues with IE7.
                              >