12 Replies Latest reply on Jan 1, 2010 9:12 AM by the_wine_snob

Disc main menu audio duration

pavalentine Level 1

Hi,

I'm using a canned DVD disc main.  In this case I'm using "blinking lights."  I know that an audio clip selected for a menu has a 30 second maximum duration but in this case the blinking lights menu has a maximum duration of 4 seconds which cannot be changed.

How can I change the duration from 4 seconds to 30 seconds?   Is there a file I can change to increase this duration?

Thanks,

Paul

• 1. Re: Disc main menu audio duration
          the_wine_snob Level 9

Paul,

You should not have to change the Duration of the Motion Asset, as it should Loop. In manual authoring programs, such as Encore, one can control the Looping, but I believe that in PrE, it's set to Forever (one of the choices in Encore). What happens in Preview and when you Burn to DVD? Does the Motion Asset not Loop?

Good luck,

Hunt

PS - I'll go and look at the Motion Asset on Blinking Lights, to see how it's done. In Encore, one would have the Menu as a .PSD, but bundled in a Template file, .EM. Linked to that .EM Template would be a .WMV, or .MOV Motion Asset. Not sure if PrE uses .WMV (there would be no need for it to be .MOV, as PrE is not X-platform, like Encore), or maybe an FLV.

[Edit] It's an FLV packaged into an SWF "player" file. To edit that, one would need Adobe Flash, or similar.

Message was edited by: the_wine_snob - Added [Edit]

• 2. Re: Disc main menu audio duration
            pavalentine Level 1

Hi Hunt,

Thanks for the reply.  I haven't tried to burn the DVD yet but the preview has the audio looping back at the same time as the motion animation.  I can change the time to 2 seconds and it loops back at 2 seconds.

BTW, I'm using PRE8.

I found a PSD for the 'blinking lights' menu but I'm unsure of how to modify the duration.  It seems that the timing are in a separate file???

I really don't care about the 'blinking' so maybe I can remove that action?

There is an SWF flash file with the animation.  There is also a PRTL file which launches Premiere when clicked...but is doesn't do anything.

Paul

• 3. Re: Disc main menu audio duration
              the_wine_snob Level 9

The .PSD is the Menu, without the animation. The SWF is the animation (the Motion Asset).

If the Preview Loops on the Duration of the SWF, I can see your problem. I had not anticipated that, but assumed that the Duration of your longest Asset in the Motion Menu, the Audio, would take precedence over the shorter SWF. Obviously, I am wrong. In Encore, I would have just edited together my Motion Asset (say a .WMV) to match the Duration of my Audio, and replaced that in my Encore Project, linking it to the Menu.

What is the exact Duration of your Audio? Do you have it on both the Main Menu and the Scene Select Menu? Is it the same on both? Where I am going with this is maybe I can alter the SWF in Flash to match your exact Duration. You could then Move your original SWF's to a safe place, and then Move the altered SWF's of the same name into that folder. I'm just guessing that this would work. Lot of "ifs" in this idea, but might be worth a Flash session to see. I'll experiment on my system first, and let you know how it goes.

Any .PRTL is a Title, and will only open in PrE/PrPro. I do not see any .PRTL in my Blinking Lights folder - only the .PSD's, the SWF's and then the .PNG's that are the tiny displays in the Disc Editing Panel, and for the Menus Panel, when you go to select the Menu Template Set.

I'll get back to you on whether a modified SWF works, or crashes the whole thing. Just let me know your exact Duration(s), and if it works, I'll get you a modified SWF.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 4. Re: Disc main menu audio duration
                pavalentine Level 1

Thanks, Hunt.

The actual audio is several minutes...but I'd be happy with 30 seconds for now.  If this technique works then I can always modify the SWF myself.  Of course, I've never done that before but I just downloaded a tool called SWF Quicker which might work???  It's just another tool to learn.

The PRTL files were in a 'presets' folder but the filename was blinking_tree_lights_title.prtl   This might be something completely different.

If modifying the SWF Doesn't work is there a way to "disconnect" the motion animation and just leave the static menu screen with the buttons?

Paul

• 5. Re: Disc main menu audio duration
                  the_wine_snob Level 9
                  If modifying the SWF Doesn't work is there a way to "disconnect" the motion animation and just leave the static menu screen with the buttons?

Paul,

I am not sure. You could try to "hide" the SWF files, and see if PrE chokes, when it cannot find the Motion Asset. Might get a simple warning message, that something is missing, or might crash the program. I looked at the Menu .PSD in Photoshop, and it has the full static Background image, so it would display properly, so long as the program can get past the missing Asset that is linked.

If you do "hide" the SWF's, I'd make sure to Move them to a safe place, say a new sub-folder under Blinking Lights, say "SWF." Then, if things go wrong, you can go into Windows Explorer and just Move them back.

I do not know that particular SWF editing program. I'll try with Flash for a 30 sec. Duration, use the exact file naming, and test.

-More to Come-

Hunt

• 6. Re: Disc main menu audio duration
                    the_wine_snob Level 9

Well, Flash 8 will not open the SWF. The error is "Cannot Open a Protected File." Maybe Flash CS4, but I have not upgraded my Flash program above Studio 8. Even AfterEffects will not Import the SWF, and it's a supported format.

I tried to Import it into PrPro via my Moyea FLV Importer, but no go. I tried to package it as a Projector, but nothing on my workstation would open/Import that, only play it. I used FLV to AVI to convert it, but the blinking lights did not translate - only the static background.

Maybe your SWF editor is the way to go?

Sorry to come up empty-handed.

Good luck, and let us know if you are able to "un-link" the SWF Motion file from the Menu.

Hunt

• 7. Re: Disc main menu audio duration
                      pavalentine Level 1

Hunt,

I was able to use SWF Quicker to modify the SWF file, increase the length, and save it back into the proper folder (after saving the original file into another folder).  However, it is not picking-up the modified file.  I've tried changing menus but working with menus is very frustrating due to frequent crashes.  PRE8 is very touchy in this area and takes many, many tries to get things to work right (due to the crashes).

I'll try a few more things and let you know if I can get it to work.   There are actually several different files so maybe I modified the wrong one?

Paul

• 8. Re: Disc main menu audio duration
                        the_wine_snob Level 9
                        There are actually several different files so maybe I modified the wrong one?

In my Blinking Lights folder, there are four SWF's, one each for the Main Menu in "standard" and then the "widescreen." Same for the Scene Select Menu, a "standard" and a "widescreen." Depending on which you are using, the link will be to the SWF for each of the two Menus (Main & Screen Selection), and the "standard" will have an "s" in the file name, while the "widescreen" will have a "w." The exact file names will be very important.

Whether PrE 8 will continue to link to the modified SWF's is unknown to me.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 9. Re: Disc main menu audio duration
                          pavalentine Level 1

Hunt,

Success!  I modified the other SWF for the widescreen main menu (s_mm) and the new duration is set to 30 seconds.  I had to first change the main and scene menus to something else and then back to pickup the mods.

...now if someone can only do something about the 30 seconds max!!

Thanks so much for all your help.

Paul

• 10. Re: Disc main menu audio duration
                            the_wine_snob Level 9

Paul,

Great work and great news! I thought that I had every program known to video on my workstation, but I fell short here. Thanks for pointing me to that SWF editor. Guess I need that in the toolbox too!!!!

That Duration limit is part of PrE. In some full-featured authoring apps. one is not limited by Duration, though the ~ 1GB limit for ALL Menus plus their Assets still holds, as it's part of the DVD-spec. Though Encore allows me to go as long as I want, I normally hold about 40 sec., feeling that by that time, the user will have made a decision. I also use music that fades-in, fades-out and has repetition. That allows me to use the same score for my Main Menu, plus all Scene Selection Menus. The music cannot span the Menus, but the audio illusion is that it spans them. Often, I will use an SFX file for the Button Transitions, so the user does not realize that the break from say the Main Menu does not match perfectly with the music of the Scene Selection Menu. Here again, things like Button Transitions are not available in the rather limited, but semi-automatic authoring functions in PrE.

Thank you for your patience and hard work, and for posting your success.

Hunt

• 11. Re: Disc main menu audio duration
                              pavalentine Level 1

Hunt,

I'm just using the trial version of the SWF Quicker editor...$84 for the full version.

I may have to upgrade to something else someday since I'm not at all satisfied with Premiere Elements.  It's nice to be able to quickly do what would be rather complicated things but the downside is the buggy nature of the software.  Speed issues asside, I just want software that won't crash all the time.  You would think that by the time a software package has reached version 8 it would be essentially bug-free.

Are you satisfied with Encore?

Paul

• 12. Re: Disc main menu audio duration
                                the_wine_snob Level 9
                                I just want software that won't crash all the time.  You would think that by the time a software package has reached version 8 it would be essentially bug-free.

I agree completely. Most editors want stability first. Speed often comes next, and then features. Unfortunately, features are often added by the marketing department and engineering has to "catch up." Not sure exactly where these "features" come from. I would assume that many are from the Feature Request forms, that users fill in, and some might come from focus groups. A few probably come from what other software mfgrs. are doing for their competitive next versions?

Sometimes a new feature will have unanticipated consequences on existing features. One would hope that with alpha and beta testing, these would be identified and fixed. It doesn't always work that way though. It would seem that Adobe needs to issue an update, or maybe a free upgrade to PrE 9. Things just do not seem to be 100% with this version - maybe their reach exceeded their grasp? Still, so very many problems for so many is not a good sign.

Now, as to version #'s, Pinnacle is up to Studio 14, IIRC. I had S-7 thru S-10. Only version 9.4.3 had any stability, and from their fora, it does not appear that S-14 is any better than S-7, regarding stability. Still, most editor choose stability over everything else. Not being in consumer editing software marketing, I cannot comment on what drives sales, but would anticipate that lack of stability certainly hurts them.

Good luck,

Hunt