3 Replies Latest reply on Dec 28, 2009 2:11 PM by Vualafax112

Uploading troubles

Vualafax112

I recently recieved the latest version of Premire Elements, but I am having difficulty uploading my video onto my computer.  I have read manuals and instructions, and I know where to go to upload, what to click, etc, but the problem lies in getting my computer to reconize my camera.  I have a JVC, model number GR-D250U.  I have one of those universal cables that can connect through either USB or Firewire, but my computer only has USB ports.  When I plug my camera into one of the USB ports, the computer doesn't seem to reconize it.  Do I need to connect my camera through Firewire in order to upload my video; and, if so, is there an adaptor that I can buy that converts USB to Firewire?  Thanks.

• 1. Re: Uploading troubles
          the_wine_snob Level 9

Yes, the connection must be via FireWire to Capture. If you have a desktop w/ a spare PCI/PCIe slot, a good FW card will be about US$12. I'd go with a card with separate controller chips for each port. Those will cost slightly more, but will allow one better throughput. Also, be sure that the BIOS of your computer will support FW. Most will if they are fairly recent, but you might want to jot down your BIOS mfgr., say Award, and the number. Go to the mfgr's. Web site and check first.

Good luck,

Hunt

BTW - exactly what format/CODEC does this camera record with? That also might be an issue.

• 2. Re: Uploading troubles
            the_wine_snob Level 9

From the info that I could find, the camera is a miniDV tape camera, so you should be fine with a FW port and cable.

Good luck,

Hunt

1 person found this helpful
            • 3. Re: Uploading troubles
              Vualafax112 Level 1

Alright, thanks!