4 Replies Latest reply on Dec 28, 2009 11:38 AM by the_wine_snob

Premier Pro 2.0  Output to AVI is making the Video 24p

dmsapadin

Hi:

I've run into a Premier Pro 2.0 mystery I've not encountered before. I have a sequence that I want to export to avi. It is a mix of 16 x 9 video (not hi-def), and photos. Its a widescreen project. I've done this type of project before, never had this problem. When I export the sequence, the video is exported in 24P even though I have set the export settings to NTSC. I tried burning a disk from inside Premier using the not-so-wonderful disk burner that is included, and the video came out fine -- 29.97 fps like its supposed to. But when I export to .avi (so I can bring it into ENCORE) the video is changed to 24P. What the heck is going on here? The photos look fine. Any help greatly appreciated. I want to use ENCORE because its going to go onto a Dual Layer disk and I have the menus already made.  No matter what I seem to do exporting to Microsoft DV AVI, Compressor set to DV NTSC, Frame Rate set to 29.97, Pixel Aspect Ratio is D1/DV NTSC Widescreen 16:9 (1.2), Bit Depth set to "Use project settings," Fields set to "Lower field first," Optimize stills is checked.   And the video looks like its 24p!!!  Yet burning the same project to DVD from within Premier and the video looks fine.  ???? Help!!!

Thanks,

Dave

• 1. Re: Premier Pro 2.0  Output to AVI is making the Video 24p
          dmsapadin Level 1

Well, I think I figured out the problem. The project setting is set to 24p. I don't know how

I did that because I have never ever set a project to be at 24p.  So I guess the question

now is, can I somehow cut and paste the sequences out of this project and into a new

project that is not set at 24p?  Could Premier have set the project from NTSC 29.97 to

24p somehow on its own?

Thanks,

Dave

• 2. Re: Premier Pro 2.0  Output to AVI is making the Video 24p
            the_wine_snob Level 9

Dave,

It is likely that you have a setting wrong in Export>Movie>DV AVI. Here is a look at how your settings for General and also Video tabs should look. Note: they will not both display at the same time on your screen. This was done as a composite:

Export_Movie_Settings_01.jpg

Hope that this helps. Compare your settings to mine.

Good luck,

Hunt

1 person found this helpful
            • 3. Re: Premier Pro 2.0  Output to AVI is making the Video 24p
              dmsapadin Level 1

Thanks. But I think I figured it out. The problem was in the project settings. Don't know how I managed to select a 24p project at the start, and I'm even wondering if Premier changed it somehow. I must be losing it.  So I created a new project with the right settings and imported the old one.  Tried a test avi export and its fine.  The only mystery I still have is this:  When I exported the project the first time (as a test) I did so using Premier's Export to DVD.  The video was fine on that DVD, except the disc skipped a lot --- acted like a bad write or disk incompatibility. But the video was NOT 24p.  Only when I exported to avi, imported the avi to Encore, and the built a DVD in Encore was it immediately apparent that the video was 24p.  But anyhow, importing the original project into a new one set correctly seems to have fixed the issue.  I hope so, or else its a week's worth of work down the drain!

Thanks,

Dave

• 4. Re: Premier Pro 2.0  Output to AVI is making the Video 24p
                the_wine_snob Level 9
                When I exported the project the first time (as a test) I did so using Premier's Export to DVD.  The video was fine on that DVD, except the disc skipped a lot --- acted like a bad write or disk incompatibility.

This is often caused by bad blank media. Brands like Verbatim, or Taiyo Yuden are excellent. Brands like Memorex, TDK, newer Ritek and most "store brands" will give issues like you describe. Also, too high a burn speed can cause similar.

What brand of blank media did you test on?

BTW - I use DVD RW's to test with, so that I do not end up burning "coasters." Now, I never, never deliver on DVD RW's, and only use them for testing purposes.

Good luck,

Hunt