9 Replies Latest reply on Jul 22, 2008 7:38 PM by bebechuchis

Attaching a link to a Flash video

robert2562000
      I made a flash video and I would like it to be a link to another site. Is this possible if so how would l go about doing this? I search these forums all morning and found nothing related to the topic. I tried the following and had no success:

1. Right click on image Edit tag, events, then OnbllClick insert web address.
      2. Under insert tab I tried HTML, head tag, , link.
      3. Under modify make link.

All 3 of those had no luck I also tried a few other things. Got know where
      I am wondering if I was suppose to add then link maybe in Flash or After Effects?
      Does anyone happen to know how to go about attaching a link to a flash video?

All of a sudden I also been having trouble with opening up the page in Explorer and its asking me to save the file as dwt.template which its already save as. When I open it does the same thing again. I didn't have this problem until today. Other then this it was able to preview it in explorer. Firefox works fine

Thanks for you replys,
      Robert
        • 1. Re: Attaching a link to a Flash video
          Level 7

go back to the FLA in Flash, and make the link IN Flash.

you cannot apply an html link to a .swf file.

--
          Alan
          Adobe Community Expert, dreamweaver

http://www.adobe.com/communities/experts/

• 2. Re: Attaching a link to a Flash video
            robert2562000 Level 1
            Hi and thanks for the reply. Can you please be a bit more pacific like what Tab and sub menu that would be under? When I export the file it doesn't give me a option to make it a IN flash.

Thanks
            • 3. Re: Attaching a link to a Flash video
              Level 7

> Hi and thanks for the reply. Can you please be a bit more pacific like what
              > Tab and sub menu that would be under? When I export the file it doesn't give
              > me a option to make it a IN flash.
              >
              > Thanks

this is a dreamweaver group.

Open Flash.
              Press F1 and search for info on how to make a link IN Flash.

--
              Alan

• 4. Attaching a link to a Flash video
                robert2562000 Level 1
                From what I understand and reading the help files. You don't know anything about this and this would explain why you don't have any advice. But I will agree with on one thing I would get better results at the Flash forum. I looked in flash and I am using the correct format SWF.
                • 5. Re: Attaching a link to a Flash video
                  Level 7
                  Here's what he *does* understand. You cannot put an HTML link on a Flash
                  object.

--
                  Murray --- ICQ 71997575
                  Adobe Community Expert
                  (If you *MUST* email me, don't LAUGH when you do so!)
                  ==================
                  http://www.projectseven.com/go - DW FAQs, Tutorials & Resources
                  http://www.dwfaq.com - DW FAQs, Tutorials & Resources
                  ==================

"robert2562000" <webforumsuser@macromedia.com> wrote in message
                  news:g5dgs8$cc3$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                  > From what I understand and reading the help files. You don't know anything
                  > about this and this would explain why you don't have any advice. But I
                  > will
                  > agree with on one thing I would get better results at the Flash forum.
                  >

• 6. Attaching a link to a Flash video
                    robert2562000 Level 1
                    Maybe not a HTML link but a Link to another website. Have you looked at the help files in dreamweaver lately and see what a flash file is capable of doing? So don't tell me that you can't modify and add links to a SWF file. I did the research look below. Although its template format it still allows you do add a link to a SWF file. Shows what you know.

The Flash template files (.swt) These files enable you to modify and replace information in a Flash SWF file. The files are used in the Flash button object, which lets you modify the template with your own text or links, to create a custom SWF to insert in your document. In Dreamweaver, these template files can be found in the Dreamweaver/Configuration/Flash Objects/Flash Buttons and Flash Text folders.

• 7. Re: Attaching a link to a Flash video
                      Level 7
                      that information is about Flash Text and Flash Buttons made IN Dreamweaver.
                      They have a special format.

Dreamweaver cannot modify or add links to a .swf that was made IN Flash.
                      (unless the file uses an actionscript that can be passed a url as a
                      Parameter)

--
                      Alan

• 8. Re: Attaching a link to a Flash video
                        Level 7
                        Yes, and you would lose. First of all, you didn't read my post because I
                        did not say you couldn't put a link IN Flash. I said that you cannot use
                        HTML to put a link on a Flash object. And secondly you are missing the crux
                        of the help files, as explained by Alan.

--
                        Murray --- ICQ 71997575
                        Adobe Community Expert
                        (If you *MUST* email me, don't LAUGH when you do so!)
                        ==================
                        http://www.projectseven.com/go - DW FAQs, Tutorials & Resources
                        http://www.dwfaq.com - DW FAQs, Tutorials & Resources
                        ==================

"robert2562000" <webforumsuser@macromedia.com> wrote in message
                        news:g5dtkr$op1$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                        > Would you like to make a bet on that? Have you looked at the help file in
                        > dreamweaver lately and see what a flash file is capable of doing? So don't
                        > tell
                        > me that you can't modify and add links to a SWF file. I did the research
                        > look
                        > below. Although its template format it still allows you do add a link to a
                        > SWF
                        > file. Shows what you know.
                        >
                        > The Flash template files (.swt) These files enable you to modify and
                        > replace
                        > information in a Flash SWF file. The files are used in the Flash button
                        > object,
                        > which lets you modify the template with your own text or links, to create
                        > a
                        > custom SWF to insert in your document. In Dreamweaver, these template
                        > files can
                        > be found in the Dreamweaver/Configuration/Flash Objects/Flash Buttons and
                        > Flash
                        > Text folders.
                        >
                        >
                        >

• 9. Re: Attaching a link to a Flash video
                          bebechuchis Level 1
                          hi, I'm not pretty sure but I think you have to make the link in Flash using actionScript. So go back to Flash file and open the actions panel for the image or movie and you have to add the actions getURL for that object. Look into that and try it. good luck!