11 Replies Latest reply on Sep 1, 2007 3:30 PM by MonteKrause

Creating Multiple Slices At Once and Other Gripes

MonteKrause Level 1
      I miss Image Ready for creating Web ready graphics from Photoshop files. I could create whole, image based, brochure-style website using just Photoshop and Image Ready. Fireworks is clumsy in comparison. What is is really good for? You can't divide slices and have no right-click context menu to delete a slice - so you don't have to go to the layers palette to do so. Also - and this is the real pain-in-the-*ss - there is nothing in the fireworks help file explaining anything about "deleting slices" or "dividing slices. Wouldn't you think that would be an obvious topic?

I also don't understand what happened to GoLive as part the Adobe Web premium CS3 suite. It has much better CSS/stylesheet functions/creations.

Adobe applications have always been much more intuitive tha Macromedia applications - all of them. Why are those apps not being developed beyond their original look and feel?
        • 1. Re: Creating Multiple Slices At Once and Other Gripes
          Level 7
          Did you have question or are you just trolling? :-)

Linda R.
          -----

--
          Linda Rathgeber [PVII] *Adobe Community Expert-Fireworks*
          --------------------------------------------------------------
          http://www.projectseven.com
          Fireworks Newsgroup: news://forums.projectseven.com/fireworks/
          CSS Newsgroup: news://forums.projectseven.com/css/
          http://www.adobe.com/communities/experts/
          • 2. Re: Creating Multiple Slices At Once and Other Gripes
            MonteKrause Level 1
            ... trolling? Don't mess with me Linda, I'm about ready to cry I miss ImageReady - for so many reasons.

I have a whole lot of questions. Here's a few for you to tackle.
            1.) How do you select a slice and divide it horizontally and vertically in Fireworks?
            2.) Why is there no "slice select" tool or a right-click context menu allowing a user to select and then delete a slice?
            3.) why is the optimize palette so weak and there be so few HTML options when it comes to exporting graphics in to Dreamweaver.
            4.) Why oh why did Adobe drop ImageReady?
            5.) Why oh why did Adobe not include GoLive with their Web Premium CS3 suite.
            6.) What made Adobe think that Macromedia was designing better applications - because they didn't. So what if they had Flash - you guys had Live Motion! macromdia applications were/are clumsy and unintuitive. I'm spending too much time with the help files and haven't been able to regain my project workflow because Adobe has thrown me a curve by substituting Dreamweaver for GoLive and Fireworks for ImageReady.
            I really feel inadequate.
            • 3. Re: Creating Multiple Slices At Once and Other Gripes
              Level 7
              Montemedia wrote:
              > ... trolling? Don't mess with me Linda, I'm about ready to cry I
              > miss ImageReady - for so many reasons.
              >
              > I have a whole lot of questions. Here's a few for you to tackle. 1.)
              > How do you select a slice and divide it horizontally and vertically
              > in Fireworks?

You draw it that way instead of dividing it.

> 2.) Why is there no "slice select" tool or a right-click context menu
              > allowing a user to select and then delete a slice?

Click on the slice to select it. Press the delete button on the keyboard
              to delete it.

> 3.) why is the optimize palette so weak

Huh? Fireworks optimization is the best in the business, my son.

> and there be so few HTML
              > options when it comes to exporting graphics in to Dreamweaver.

What are you missing?

> 4.) Why oh why did Adobe drop ImageReady?

This is a user to user forum, Montemedia, not Adobe support. You'll need
              to write to Adobe for an answer to that.

> 5.) Why oh why did Adobe not include GoLive with their Web Premium
              > CS3 suite.

Because Fireworks is designed for web work and is much better than Image
              Ready.

> 6.) What made Adobe think that Macromedia was designing better appage
              > Ready.

It IS better. You just have to learn how to use it.

> So what if they had Flash - you guys had Live Motion!

Flash is better.

> macromdia applications were/are clumsy and unintuitive.

That's because you got used to Adobe interfaces first. I'll bet you work
              on a Mac too. :-)

> I'm spending too much time with the help files and haven't been able
              > to regain my project workflow because Adobe has thrown me a curve by
              > substituting Dreamweaver for GoLive and Fireworks for ImageReady. I
              > really feel inadequate.

Give yourself some time to learn.

--
              • 4. Re: Creating Multiple Slices At Once and Other Gripes
                JoeDaSilva Level 4
                I don't understand why you can't use your old version of image ready?
                • 5. Re: Creating Multiple Slices At Once and Other Gripes
                  MonteKrause Level 1
                  JoeyD1978, I just can't do it. I never look back. I'll whine about it for another couple of weeks - or until Linda cuts me off. That's my usual pattern. ;)
                  • 6. Re: Creating Multiple Slices At Once and Other Gripes
                    Level 7
                    Montemedia wrote:
                    > JoeyD1978, I just can't do it. I never look back. I'll whine about
                    > it for another couple of weeks - or until Linda cuts me off. That's
                    > my usual pattern. ;)

You ought to be spanked. ;-)

--
                    • 7. Creating Multiple Slices At Once and Other Gripes
                      pixlor Level 4
                      quote:

Originally posted by: Newsgroup User
                      Montemedia wrote:
                      > JoeyD1978, I just can't do it. I never look back. I'll whine about
                      > it for another couple of weeks - or until Linda cuts me off. That's
                      > my usual pattern. ;)

You ought to be spanked. ;-)

*falls over laughing*

If it helps, I now have Photoshop for the first time in my life. I keep looking for how I did things in PSP and some of the terms are different. Makes me pout. I haven't even tried Illustrator, I love Expression (3) so much. Then there's Bridge that just kind intimidates me, but I'm starting to use it because Vista won't automatically preview .psd files, although it will show everything else. Using software is like using a physical tool or playing a musical instrument. You know its limits and you know how to push it. With a new tool or new instrument...you struggle. Relax. Breathe. Press F1.
                      • 8. Re: Creating Multiple Slices At Once and Other Gripes
                        MonteKrause Level 1
                        "You ought to be spanked. ;-)" wrote Linda Rathgeber [PVII] *Adobe Community Expert-Fireworks*

I've got it together and will only be helpful from here on out. Consider me spanked.
                        • 9. Re: Creating Multiple Slices At Once and Other Gripes
                          Level 7
                          It's a humbling experience to be spanked by Linda - i know

Montemedia wrote:
                          > "You ought to be spanked. ;-)" wrote Linda Rathgeber [PVII] *Adobe Community Expert-Fireworks*
                          >
                          > I've got it together and will only be helpful from here on out. Consider me spanked.
                          >
                          • 10. Re: Creating Multiple Slices At Once and Other Gripes
                            Level 7
                            Alex Mariño wrote:

> It's a humbling experience to be spanked by Linda - i know

LOL! I rather enjoyed it when you returned the favor. ;-)

--