6 Replies Latest reply on Nov 7, 2013 5:42 AM by Steve Grisetti

problem with combining cross dissolve with zoom preset (for slideshow)

LisaWallace2010

I'm putting together a slideshow of scanned wedding photos. I'm new to Premiere Elements 8, so I'm running a test with just 7 photos in the slideshow.

I have applied a cross dissolve transition between each photo, and I have also applied an effects preset called "zoom in 640x480." I applied the zoom preset to each photo. The problem is, when I watch the rendered avi video, the zoom does not begin until the cross dissolve finishes. Each time a new photo appears, there's a slight delay before the zoom begins. My goal is to have a zoom that begins the moment you see each photo, not with a delay. I believe the cross dissolve is causing the problem, because when I render the video without this transition, the zoom works the way I want it to (by starting with the first frame of each photo).

The video I have attached will show what I'm talking about. There's a hesitation at the beginning of each new photo. (Ignore the colored dots...they were just used as part of another test)

Thank you very much if you have any advice!

Lisa

• 1. Re: problem with combining cross dissolve with zoom preset (for slideshow)
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

This will happen if you add the preset before you add the transition. (Because the transition extends the duration of the still a second.)

The easiest solution is to adjust the keyframing a bit, sliding the Motion keyframes to the new beginning and/or end of your clip. To do this, right-click on each photo and select Properties, then open the Properties keyframing timeline for Motion and adjust the keyframing points.

The tuturials on keyframing and, more specifically, my free article on "Basic Keyframing", at Muvipix.com will help you learn the basics of keyframing.

• 2. Re: problem with combining cross dissolve with zoom preset (for slideshow)
            the_wine_snob Level 9

As Steve says, with a still image, PrE will add the Handles (frames before and/or after the initially set Duration of the still) to allow for the Transition. Basically, your still image is now an additional 30 Frames longer on each end where a Transition has been applied. This differs from what happens with an AV Clip. There the program just takes Frames before and/or after your set In & Out Points. This can be problematic, if there are not the required extra Frames before and after where one set the In & Out Points. If they do not exist, then PrE duplicates the first, or the last Frame until enough are available. If there ARE extra Frames, but they are part of a different shot, before or after those In & Out Points, Frames from those other shots will suddenly appear in the middle of the Transition - not what most people want. With stills, it's easier, as the duplicated Frames are all the same as the Frames in the source Clip. You were just bitten by the order that Effects & Transitions were applied.

I also agree that adjusting Keyframes for Effects offers the most control. Also the order that Presets and Transitions are applied can yield different results. Presets can be very quick and easy, but for finite control, Keyframes offer much more power.

Good luck,

Hunt

1 person found this helpful
            • 3. Re: problem with combining cross dissolve with zoom preset (for slideshow)
              LisaWallace2010 Level 1

Thank you, Steve and Hunt for the prompt, helpful answers!

For some reason changing the order of applying the zoom preset and transitions didn't seem to make a difference. But I'm not concerned with that, since using keyframes, as you both suggested, solved the problem. Hunt, thanks for pointing out the reason the zoom appears to start late (because the actual start point of the clip is located before the apparent beginning of the clip).

Lisa

• 4. Re: problem with combining cross dissolve with zoom preset (for slideshow)
                the_wine_snob Level 9

Lisa,

Glad that you have gotten the Project going.

Keyframing does require more work, but is so very powerful. Once you get used to it, you'll go that route for everything beyond a Dip-to-Black, and you can do that too. Keyframing in PrE is like having a mini-copy of AfterEffects right inside the NLE.

Thanks for reporting success,

Hunt

• 5. Re: problem with combining cross dissolve with zoom preset (for slideshow)
                  old pro

Hi

I hope Steve Grisetti and Bill Hunt are getting these posts because I can tell they have expertise on my related problem in Premiere Pro.  Keyframing from the left of the handle didn't help me they way it helped Lisa,

AND I DONT KNOW WHY!!!

Here is the problem:

Why does a cross dissolve delay my zoom effect?

Can’t think of what else to try to solve…

Struggling amateur here!

Two clips side by side.

Left clip is black video with enough of a right handle to allow a cross dissolve effect to be applied.

Right clip is a jpg still image of a launching rocket. This clip also has enough of a left handle to allow a cross dissolve to be applied.

The rocket clip is keyframed with a motion scale effect to zoom out from 130 to 100.

The keyframe goes from the beginning of the left handle to the end of the right handle. In other words, the rocket clip is trimmed so that, without any dissolve we wouldn’t see the clip until it is already zoomed out to 120. And when I scrub the rocket clip it shows the zooming out immediately, just the way I want it..

But when I apply a cross dissolve, there is a delay before it shows the zoom effect.

Obviously the cross dissolve is freezing the right clip for some reason before it shows the keyframed scale effect.

Dip to black has same delay.

Rendering doesn’t solve the problem.

How can I dissolve into a clip that is zooming immediately?

• 6. Re: problem with combining cross dissolve with zoom preset (for slideshow)
                    Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

If you open the Keyframe Control for your clips in the Properties panel AFTER you apply a transition, you'll see that the transition extends the length of your clips a bit to create the transition. This extension may be beyond your motion keyframe -- which makes it appear that your pan/zoom stops just before the transition.

These half-second extensions to your clips that occur when you apply a transition are called Handles, per Bill's discussion above.