4 Replies Latest reply on Dec 29, 2009 7:06 AM by the_wine_snob

Preview is laggin a lot?

Longu Level 1

Hello,

is there any way where I can change settings, so that the preview video is not lagging anymore?

I added some videos after each other, they have a total length of just 2 minutes or so. I want to add Text/speech bubbles to it, but the preview is totally messed up. The slider moves constantly, but the video in preview window show a total wrong images (delays a lot, means when the slider is at position 1 minute, the preview still shows pictures from 0:40).

Additionally the Background Rendering takes loong, even if the total video length is not even two minutes.

I have about 20 GB free disc space, 8 Gig RAM... in case this matters.

Hope you have an idea what to check or how to speed up the preview?

Regards

M

• 1. Re: Preview is laggin a lot?
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

20 gigs of free space is getting kind of tight for version 8. It leaves a huge footprint, and I've had problems if I let my free C drive space get below 30 gig and/or fragment.

That said, there are many factors that can affect how your video plays. You don't say what operating system you're using or how fast your processor is, but that makes a difference.

It also makes a difference what kind of camcorder your video is coming from.

Meantime, a couple of suggestions for optimizing your system:

1) Turn off background rendering and the auto analyzer, per the FAQs to the right of this forum

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/503830?tstart=0

2) While you're in Edit/Preferences/General, set Timeline Scrollling to Page rather than Smooth Scrolling.

3) Have a look at my suggestions for optimizing your version 8 experience, also from the ever-helpful FAQs.

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/533334?tstart=0

• 2. Re: Preview is laggin a lot?
            Longu Level 1

Thanks for this, will check the FAQ now first, sry .

I use Videos that I compressed with XVid, can this slow down Premiere Elemtns too, or does this has no effect? Machine is PC, Quadcore, don't ask me about CPU speed though . Anyway, off to read FAQ now.

• 3. Re: Preview is laggin a lot?
              Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Sorry but Premiere Elements definitely can not work with Xvid (or Divx for that matter) video.

The video should ideally be saved in the DV-AVI format.

The fact that your video is Xvid could definitely account for the problems you're experiencing.

• 4. Re: Preview is laggin a lot?
                the_wine_snob Level 9

As Steve says, Xvid (and its commercial cousin, DivX) are not editable formats. They are delivery-only formats for heavily-compressed, delivery-only formats. Even with proper conversion, the quality has already taken a major hit, due to the Xvid compression. Conversion will get you editing more smoothly, but if you can go back to before the Xvid compression, the quality will be much better. If your camera shoots with the Xvid compression, you are stuck with that quality, and there's nothing that can be done about it. The camera mfgr. made decisions that their customers would not want to edit, but just show, or upload to YouTube. I find this unfortunate, but many mfgrs. are making that same decision.

Good luck, and with conversion to DV-AVI Type II w/ 48KHz 16-bit PCM/WAV Audio, your editing experience will be greatly improved.

Also, I agree with Steve on freeing up more HDD space. I'd think about picking up an external HDD to store older Assets, etc.

Good luck,

Hunt