13 Replies Latest reply on Jan 1, 2010 4:46 PM by Panoholic

RAW image workflow problem

JimCalderwood

I have encountered a strange behaviour when processing Minolta RAW images. (This strange behaviour has occurred for the first time in the last series of images. I have used this workflow for at least a year.)

Minolta RAW is not recognised by iPhoto so I used Adobe DNG Converter to produce DNG files.

The original RAW files were typically 12.1 MB on disk. The DNG files varied in size but were typically between 7 and 9 MB, but strangely the dimensions are shown as 256 x 192.

When these are imported into iPhoto the definition is, as you would expect, not good.

If I edit a DNG file or an iPhoto file using Photoshop and save out to the desktop as jpeg the result is a file which is typically 5 MB in size but the dimensions are 3264 x 2448. This file can be reimported into iPhoto and the results are perfect.

From this I deduce that the camera is recording the data properly and that it is stored in the file but what has gone awry when converting from RAW to DNG?

Thanks for any help.

• 1. Re: RAW image workflow problem
          Panoholic Level 2

You did not request a JPEG preview when converting in DNG. Click on "Change Preferences".

Gabor

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: RAW image workflow problem
            JimCalderwood Level 1

Thanks. I have experimented with requesting and not requesting a jpeg preview - what difference should I expect, I have always got just one file? This makes no difference to the result - in other words a file of approximately 8.5 MB on disk with dimensions of 256 x 192.

• 3. Re: RAW image workflow problem
              Panoholic Level 2
              function(){return A.apply(null,[this].concat($A(arguments)))}

JimCalderwood wrote:

This makes no difference to the result - in other words a file of approximately 8.5 MB on disk with dimensions of 256 x 192.

A raw file contains two, three or even four separate images: thumbnail, preview, another preview and the raw image itself. So, the question is, which image has that funny size. Can you upload the DNG file? Use yousendit.com if you don't have web space.

Gabor

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: RAW image workflow problem
                JimCalderwood Level 1

Thanks,

Here are some files to examine:

a) the original Minolta file http://dl.dropbox.com/u/3747562/PICT0001.MRW

b) the Minolta data file http://dl.dropbox.com/u/3747562/PICT0001.THM

c) the file after converting to DNG format with Adobe DNG converter http://dl.dropbox.com/u/3747562/PICT0001.dng

Thanks for the offer to help.

Jim

• 5. Re: RAW image workflow problem
                  Panoholic Level 2

Jim,

the DNG file seems to be perfect. There are four images in the file:

1. the thumbnail, 256x192 small; this is bitmap style (not JPEG),

2. the raw file, 3280x2454,

3. a small JPEG preview 1024x768,

4. a large JPEG preview, 3264x2448

It seems that IPhoto has no idea of the DNG file structure and regards the first image as "the image". This would not be surprizing at all, except that you wrote that you have worked this way for a longer time.

Does this version of IPhoto work with older DNG files? If yes, then pls upload such a DNG. Perhaps you used an older version of the DNG converter? This should not be an issue, because the DNG file is compatible with much older ones (this is indicated in the file), but if IPhoto is looking at the wrong field, whoch contains the version of the DNG converter itself, then it may believe, that the file is not compatible.

If you don't have an older version of the DNG converter, I can give you one.

Gabor

• 6. Re: RAW image workflow problem
                    JimCalderwood Level 1

Gabor, thanks for your advice.

It seems that IPhoto has no idea of the DNG file structure and regards the first image as "the image". This would not be surprizing at all, except that you wrote that you have worked this way for a longer time.

Yes, I've used this workflow for almost two years.

When I look back to this photo taken in November it is fine in iPhoto and the dimensions are correct when I examine it in the finder. However, as you will see, when it is copied the dimensions change in the same way as the recent ones and can not be reimported.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/3747562/PICT0004.dng

This points to a bug in the operating system.

Jim

• 7. Re: RAW image workflow problem
                      xbytor2 Level 4

JimCalderwood wrote

Did you do a 10.6 upgrade?

-X

• 8. Re: RAW image workflow problem
                        JimCalderwood Level 1

Did you do a 10.6 upgrade?

Yes, 10.6.2

• 9. Re: RAW image workflow problem
                          Panoholic Level 2
                          function(){return A.apply(null,[this].concat($A(arguments)))}

JimCalderwood wrote:

When I look back to this photo taken in November it is fine in iPhoto and the dimensions are correct when I examine it in the finder. However, as you will see, when it is copied the dimensions change in the same way as the recent ones and can not be reimported.

Jim

Darn. This looks bad. Can you upload such a "corrupted" DNG file? It won't help you with the problem directly, but perhaps you can find the correction easier if you know what exactly went wrong.

Gabor

• 10. Re: RAW image workflow problem
                            JimCalderwood Level 1

Gabor

Panoholic wrote:

Can you upload such a "corrupted" DNG file? It won't help you with the problem directly, but perhaps you can find the correction easier if you know what exactly went wrong.

This file http://dl.dropbox.com/u/3747562/PICT0004.dng was originally imported successfully into iPhoto in November and is in the library package showing the correct dimensions when examined in the finder. When I copied this file to the desktop/dropbox the dimensions changed to the size of the preview - but the file size remained the same. (The file can no be successfully imported again into iPhoto or view in Preview.) Whatever is happening is at finder level.

Jim

• 11. Re: RAW image workflow problem
                              Panoholic Level 2

Jim,

I can not recreate the problem, for I am working with Windows. This looks bad; I hate it, when the software is trying to be too smart and prevents one from working properly. Adobe too made such garbage, for example with keeping the ACR adjustment settings in a database.

I'm sorry but I can not contribute to the solution. I thought that the problem was in the DNG file content, but it seems to be in IPhoto's own recordings. I made a search and found, that when you import photos into IPhoto, it opens each image, and creates several smaller versions of it. However, I am sure you know much more of that than I do (as this is all I know about it).

Anyway, have a Happy New Year and a better photo management system.

GAbor

• 12. Re: RAW image workflow problem
                                JimCalderwood Level 1

Thanks,

Are you saying that the file I sent does have dimensions to match the file size? Then it's definitely a Mac OS problem.

• 13. Re: RAW image workflow problem
                                  Panoholic Level 2

Jim,

both files (PICT0001.dng and PICT0004.dng) are faultless; I can see that the file structure is correct and I can process them for example in PS/ACR. I guess IPhoto created a mess when copying them and creating the extracts.

Perhaps you can try to rename it and input it again. However, don't count on that 100%. For example I used Bridge (of Adobe). I wanted to have several sets of adjustments for the same raw file. I did not see any other way, I copied the file and processed in under a different name. However, as it turned out, the data base recordings were not file name related; apparently the program created a checksum from the file and recorded that. No matter of several physical copies under different names, the system treated them as one.

Gabor