4 Replies Latest reply on Dec 29, 2009 8:11 PM by ruffhouseutah

Bug? Filenames disappear when trying to import from a folder

ruffhouseutah Level 1

I use a lot of different software, and this is one of the strangest behaviors I have ever seen in any program...

I click on Get Media, navigate to a folder, then try to click on an AVI file and it disappears when I click on it! Then I try to click on another and several more disappear, until all files in the folder have disappeared EXCEPT the mpeg files (for some unknown reason)...

If I change the filetype I'm looking for to AVI files only, they all immediately reappear and I can select and import them without a problem. The bug appears only when trying to view all compatible media files in a folder.

Of course, this is strange enough that there simply MUST be a problem with my computer, OS, installation, etc., right? And it's true that I'm using Win 7 64-bit, which is not officially supported. However... all other features of PE8--capture, editing, encoding, burning--seem to work just fine and we've completed several projects within the last month, which leads me to believe that it's a bug in PE8 rather than something more systemic.

Has anyone else experienced anything like this?  I've already submitted it as a bug to Adobe... just wondering if it's unique to me and my setup. I'll reinstall PE8 and see if it goes away...

• 1. Re: Bug? Filenames disappear when trying to import from a folder
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

I do occasionally get strange stuff like that when I'm using Premiere Elements 8 on my Windows 7 computer, Ruffhouse -- especially when I try to grab several files at once off my home network. I thought it was just a quirk in my computer, since ly XP computer never has this problem.

• 2. Re: Bug? Filenames disappear when trying to import from a folder
            the_wine_snob Level 9

Now, on older OS's and older PrE versions, I have never encountered similar. Sounds a bit scary, and I would tread carefully. Could just be a display issue, related to the OS, or to PrE 8's Organizer.

For display issues, I'd look first at the video drivers.

Next at Hardware Acceleration.

Next at OpenGL.

Then at things like WindowBlinds, the various display "helper" and add-ons in the OS.

Even check for the MS InteliPoint mouse driver, as it has caused display issues in the past with Adobe products.

Good luck,

Hunt

1 person found this helpful
            • 3. Re: Bug? Filenames disappear when trying to import from a folder
              ruffhouseutah Level 1

Very interesting... I do have a MS Intellipoint driver of some kind, what do you mean by "check for it"? Try a different mouse? If I uninstall the driver, will any mouse still work?

Video drivers are the latest, the ones nVidia just announced on this forum.

I'll try undoing hardware acceleration... do you mean within the nVidia tool or is there an option within Adobe for that?

What is OpenGL?

Don't know what Window Blinds are, but there's an option with Windows 7 to optimize for performance over appearance, and after I chose it everything become a lot flatter and more plain in the OS interface.

• 4. Re: Bug? Filenames disappear when trying to import from a folder
                the_wine_snob Level 9
                I do have a MS Intellipoint driver of some kind, what do you mean by "check for it"? Try a different mouse? If I uninstall the driver, will any mouse still work?

This might not have any effect on your Adobe programs, but earlier InteliPoint drivers have caused major issues with several Adobe programs. Going back a couple of years, MS did change the InteliPoint drivers, and all was good for about a year. Then, recently, a change was made, and other problems developed with Adobe programs. Most of these were noted in Adobe PrPro. I do not recall any here.

In those other cases, the users replaced the InteliPoint drivers with the generic mouse drivers, and the problems disappeared. Do not know if this will have any impact on your issue, but GUI problems have been cleared up with the replacement of the InteliPoint drivers.

All that I hope is that you will find a cure to this issue. I would be very nervous, should my Assets disappear from my Windows Explorer, or similar.

Good luck,

Hunt