12 Replies Latest reply on Oct 5, 2010 8:31 PM by shooternz Branched to a new discussion.

Cleaning up rimless eyeglasses against greenscreen

Quazarr

I have some footage I am cleaning up for a testimonial video. Its a sit down interview against a green screen. The subject is filmed at a slight angle looking at the interviewer (not in footage), instead of straight on.

The problem I have come across is that there is a small section of his eyeglasses that extend past the face and the glasses are rimless. Any tricks to key out the green and have it still look semi-realistic (final production is an online video on the web which will be a lower resolution so I dont need it to be perfect.

Thanks!

• 1. Re: Cleaning up rimless eyeglasses against greenscreen
          Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

As with any keying: 70% of the success are with setting up the shoot properly. For rimless glasses one would need to add a light from slightly behind and below to get the edge reflection and refraction or you paint the rim with a non-dangerous (to the plastic), non-permanent black marker. If that has been missed, simply mask out the regions before keying and key the glasses on a separate layer after the masking.

Mylenium

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Cleaning up rimless eyeglasses against greenscreen
            Quazarr Level 1

Thanks! Needless to say, I will not be using this videographer again. Im not sure how you could have missed this element in setting up the shoot. Thanks for the masking suggestion. I will give that a go.

• 3. Re: Cleaning up rimless eyeglasses against greenscreen
              bogiesan-gyyClL Level 3

Thanks! Needless to say, I will not be using this videographer again.

It wasn't the shooter's fault, for crying out loud. There's always plenty of blame to go around when video is shot as directed but the director failed to anticipate everything. Whose job was that?

Who was in charge of makeup, costumes, and vetting the location? Who did the preliminary interviews with the talent and failed to notice his glasses? Who scoped out the green screen facility and qualified their competency? Who directed this thing? Who was the producer? Who knew they'd be using After Effects to process the shots but failed to do adequate testing?

bogiesan

• 4. Re: Cleaning up rimless eyeglasses against greenscreen
                Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

If you could post a screen shot or deinterlaced frame of the video we might be able to help. Keylight can do some amazing things if you play with it a bit.

• 5. Re: Cleaning up rimless eyeglasses against greenscreen
                  Quazarr Level 1

I guess this will teach me not to leave a brief reply. In summary, the firm I used  oversaw the entire video shootess. They knew the I would be using After Effect and what I would be doing with the video. Ultimately, the rspsonsibility lies with me. I will say I did not bring to their attention that one of the subjects had glasses. your point is well taken though. There are many variable in any production. It is unfair to summarily  judge one person without ensuring they had all the information they needed to begin with. Its still a little hard for me to think this person didn't notice this at all while shooting and do something to help correct it.

• 6. Re: Cleaning up rimless eyeglasses against greenscreen
                    bogiesan-gyyClL Level 3

Umm, my bad, too. Sorry for the apparent tone of my outburst. I should have preceded my post with something like, "This is a general statement and not directed at your personally."

We see similar blame-filled posts often and their tone is rarely one of atonement or kidding. Reading between the lines of your OP, it's obvious you didn't really mean it was ALL the shooter's fault.

bogiesan

1 person found this helpful
                    • 7. Re: Cleaning up rimless eyeglasses against greenscreen
                      Quazarr Level 1

Here is a quick screen cap. I circled the area in question. And I am wrong, they are not rimless, just thin rimmed. The issue I am having is the bottom part of the glasses. The top part I have enough contrasting lines to key out the little big of greenscreen.

• 8. Re: Cleaning up rimless eyeglasses against greenscreen
                        Quazarr Level 1

No problem! I actually rather like people who call me out on the carpet and challenge statements I make. I find its really only through that process

I become better. The last thing I want is an office of Yes-Men reporting to me. If Im wrong, tell me so. And you did have some good points. Next time I will make my instructions more clear.

• 9. Re: Cleaning up rimless eyeglasses against greenscreen
                          Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I took a look at your jpg. It's compressed as can be so I can't give you a good formula. Thre are also so many color artifacts that I suspect that the original footage is DV. That's not an unsurmountable problem.

Here's what I'd do. I'd make several copies of the footage, each with masks isolating a specific area of the key. I had a bit of success just drawing a circle matte around the problem area, then keying just for the glasses. The green screen is not very evenly lit so you can't pull a single key for the whole shot.

I hope this is clear. I should put up an advanced keying tutorial one of these days. What you do is combine each of the mattes for each of the problem areas until you get a complete matte. If I had a much better jpg or even a png or Photoshop file of the field separated original could give you a keylight formula for the glasses.

• 10. Re: Cleaning up rimless eyeglasses against greenscreen
                            Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

The image doesn't look too bad in terms of the original problem - there is a discernible rim even if no special lighting magic was used. This should be relatively easy to mask out on a duplicate and then treated with individual settings. The bigger problem is perhaps that everything was shot as DV in the first place, so you will spend considerable effort to avoid it becomming "furry"...

Mylenium

• 11. Re: Cleaning up rimless eyeglasses against greenscreen
                              Quazarr Level 1

You all are just amazing! I can not recall the last time I ventured out to a forum in which I got such quick and professional help from the community.

Yes, the original footage is DV. Going back to bogiesan's original comments, I think this is becoming more and more apparent to me that it is my fault for not setting clearer expectations for the footage. I sent them out with the "Its on the web, I dont need it to be high end footage." Well, you get what you ask for.

I am working on the mask approach and I think this will work out just fine for what I need. I have also learned a few things along the way to help ensure my next footage is easier to work with.

Thanks again!!!!!

Q

• 12. Re: Cleaning up rimless eyeglasses against greenscreen
                                shooternz Level 6

May put on my D.P hat and add...

Any key shot is enhanced by a 3/4 back light,  or a rim light  on the subject.  

The compositor will thank you for doing so.

Editor hat  ...back on now....

If the shot was not on DV... I can not see why a reasonable key can not be pulled from the bg thru the specctacles.  I would expect  some masking etc maybe required in conjunction with multiple keys.   I have pulled many keys form "transparent subjects.