• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Duplicate Topic, Then Rename causes RH7 Crash ?

New Here ,
Dec 29, 2009 Dec 29, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am able to duplicate a topic and save the default.  The file name is taken from the original Topic Title and preceeded with 'Copy_of'_".  I can right click and select Rename and change the name of the file and save.  I can change the 'Topic Title' in the new file by editing in 'Properties'.   However, when I select 'Save', RoboHelp crashes ("RoboHelp 7 has stopped working.  A problem caused the program to stop working correctly.  Please close the pgm.") .  This crash happens in a couple of different sequences involving the duplication of topics.  Note that the new file exists, but the crash seems to involve only the renaming of the Topic Title not the filename.  I've deleted the .xpj and .cpd and restarted.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 29, 2009 Dec 29, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The .fpj file in the folder where the duplication is being performed seems to not be capturing all of the activity. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 31, 2009 Dec 31, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It seems to be working OK in a quick test I just ran.

Do you get the same problem in another project? Create a new project or open one of the samples and try it there.

You should not delete the XPJ and the CPD. Always try just the CPD first. Trashing the XPJ means you lose various things from your project. See Opening RH Projects on my site.

See www.grainge.org for RoboHelp and Authoring tips

Follow me @petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 31, 2009 Dec 31, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Peter, thank you for taking a look.  Here is a sequence that causes problems.  This appears to be happening with multiple projects.

1. View is: ‘By File Name’
  2. Duplicate the topic.  Accept the default naming.  Result: a single copy of the topic appears in the folder.  The filename appears fine - not broken.  But! The topic also shows as a Broken link.
  3. Change the View to: ‘By Topic Title’.  Result: the copied topic disappears, but the Broken Link reference remains. 
  4. Change back to view by filename and the copied topic remains gone.
  5. Click on the Broken Link and select ‘Restore’.  Result: the topic appears by filename and by topic title.
  6. Save works fine.
  7. Close Project results in a crash.
  8. Reopen the project without deleting the .cpd file (only) and the project is fine.  All files are present.  Save and Close Project operate correctly.

Comment:  This is just one sequence that consistantly fails.  I can walk through other sequences involving duplication that also cause a crash.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 11, 2010 Jan 11, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here is the work around that I am using:

I copy the .htm file that I wish to duplicate in MS Windows.  Then from within my RoboHelp Project I import the new file.  I re-title and can rename within Robo.  This sequence at least allows me to avoid the 'crash'.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there

An observation from the sidelines here. I can't help but to notice that in the workflow you listed said you duplicate, then you later elect to rename?

I'm curious as to why you would follow that procedure?

Please bear with me. I do the duplicate hokey pokey all the time and I've never seen a crash occur from duplication. But my process varies a bit from yours. It seems that the first thing that happens when you duplicate a topic is that RoboHelp presents you with a dialog allowing you to choose the new file name and topic title. Since the dialog is already in my face, I just change it right then and there. But from what you are stating, you are clicking OK to dismiss the dialog, then calling it back up again to make the change? What is preventing you from just entering what you want right there on the dialog before you commit?

Cheers.. Rick

Helpful and Handy Links

RoboHelp Wish Form/Bug Reporting Form

Begin learning RoboHelp HTML 7 or 8 within the day - $24.95!

Adobe Certified RoboHelp HTML Training

SorcerStone Blog

RoboHelp eBooks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Rick, thx.  I was defining one of multiple sequences that seem to cause my crash.  I am not currently enjoying a crash when I go through your sequence; however, in the past, I have experienced a crash with that method ...in some projects.  I just walked through your sequence.  Everything works as you describe, however;  the duped/renamed file immediately shows up as a Broken Link.  Save/Close no crash.  Re-open and perform a 'Restore' on the broken link and the file appears just fine.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi again

The crashing is odd. But the broken link is odder and quite mysterious indeed. It's like saying you stuck a page in the copier, you got the copy just fine but somehow the original page caused a problem. Aside from being the source for the copy to be made, nothing should be affected here.

I apologize for being lazy here and not fetching the whole thread to read. But is this project possibly on a network location? Seems you have gremlins in it! If so, this could explain much.

Cheers... Rick

Helpful and Handy Links

RoboHelp Wish Form/Bug Reporting Form

Begin learning RoboHelp HTML 7 or 8 within the day - $24.95!

Adobe Certified RoboHelp HTML Training

SorcerStone Blog

RoboHelp eBooks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Not on network.  This is not the only project that we have experienced this qwerk/crash in.  Intermittent.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp