4 Replies Latest reply on Dec 30, 2009 9:24 AM by cowboymustache

importing a 3d .psd file with multiple 3d layers in after effects

cowboymustache Level 1

I have a 3d model of a coil of barbwire. I duplicated the 3d layer in photoshop 4 times and repositioned them to make a longer coil. Importing this into after effects bogs down the system and doesn't work correctly because I end up with 5 nested layers with 3d objects and controllers. Even clicking the collapse transformations switches on all the nested comps doesn't seem to give me what I want. I basically want the 5 3d layers to behave as one 3d layer in after effects. Is there a work around for this? should I just import one copy of the file into after effects and copy it there? How does this work with the null controller layer/object set up of an imported live photoshop 3d layer. Thanks folks.

• 1. Re: importing a 3d .psd file with multiple 3d layers in after effects
          cowboymustache Level 1

Also, is there a way to have mulitple Live 3d Layers in one compostion? Things do not behave properly when precomposed and it seems like the null controller for one 3d object also effects any other 3d objects in the scene. Is there a way to control the parenting of the null controller to 3d object? Normal parenting controls don't seem to work. Thanks.

• 2. Re: importing a 3d .psd file with multiple 3d layers in after effects
            Mylenium Most Valuable Participant
            Even clicking the collapse transformations switches on all the nested comps doesn't seem to give me what I want.

Nor should it. It's strictly an intra-layer thing and PS Live 3D is utterly unrelated to AE's own 3D implementation

I basically want the 5 3d layers to behave as one 3d layer in after effects.

There is no such thing. As per the previous comment, rendering order is solely dictated by stacking order of the layers. Anything you cannot do in PS, you cannot do in AE. If it needs to behave as a single model, it must have started out as a single mesh file in the first place. Anything else is limited to "illusion painting", i.e. setting it up to look like one layer, without it actually being one.

Also, is there a way to have mulitple Live 3d Layers in one compostion?

Yes, of course. You simply adjust the expression references to point to the correct layer.

Things do not behave properly when precomposed and it seems like the null controller for one 3d object also effects any other 3d objects in the scene.

No, it doesn't. See previous comment.

Mylenium

• 3. Re: importing a 3d .psd file with multiple 3d layers in after effects
              cowboymustache Level 1

"Yes, of course. You simply adjust the expression references to point to the correct layer."

Thanks for the help, I was able to compile the seperate 3d pieces in 3d Invigorator and rexport as an .obj and do what i needed to in photoshop. Can you elaborate on the proper way to adjust the expression reference so that the second controller points to the correct layer. I realize it's probably just changing a layer name in the expression, but which property in the controller houses the expression that needs to be changed. Thanks.

• 4. Re: importing a 3d .psd file with multiple 3d layers in after effects
                Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

but which property in the controller houses the expression that needs to be changed.

All of them. There is no single property. You really must go in and adjust the layer name for rotation, orientation, position and scale individually. It's a bit inconvenient and tedious, but unavoidable at this point. Maybe it gets better/ smarter in some future release.

Mylenium