Success ! Finally !
Purpose of project: To look at on my computer....as long as it looks good and the sound is in sync, I will be happy.
As some here know I've been trying for some time to use a single long clip of wide angle 720x480 avi in a way that allows me to create medium and close up shots from the same footage. At first I tried exporting the 720x480 to a smaller size to re-import to CS3...So I could create a project of, say...360x240 and use the 720x480 (portions) as the medium / close up. That was a complete bust for two reasons.
1) Stuff exported compressed and changed does not go back into CS3 well..or any editor well...and even in those rare occassions when I tested successfully another export from re-imported 360x240, the results were all garbabe, using every known codec to mankind.
2) 360x240 is NOT A GOOD SIZE FOR ANYTHING
This is an unwritten rule of law in the world of editing : Anything at 360x240 will be trash at best. It took me a couple weeks to figure that out.
Sooo, I went to 450x336 instead. This was due to some reading on various internet sites about people converting stuff for upload to YouTube and Vimeo, where they had all kinds of video (all formats, resolutions) and were trying to get something they could upload successfully that was highly compressed (mp4) and had sound sync. Some of the information from those sites helped me come up with some of the settings I used for my project.
And when you SEE the settings for my project you will say to yourself, "This Is Insane ! " And you will be right !
For some reason, only known the the video gods who lurk within silicon chips, these settings force the rendering and compression routines into creating a fantastic quality video that is once again 720x480 DV AVI type 2.
I'm not done yet..I might go to another size, like 512x336 or 530x something....but these settings for this particular success are worth mentioning, because nothing else on earth worked, no matter what codecs were used. And these settings fly in the face of any rational thought or expectation.
I have a bunch of screenshots to go through the facts. You'll have to take my word for it since the AVI is 730 megabytes that it looks great and the sound is in sync. And again, some of these settings had to do with discussions I listened to concerning issues of conversions.
Summary : I have DV AVI type 2 720x480. I want to make a project that is 450x336 so I can scale down the master and use portions of the same master as medium shots...which have NOT been scaled down, hence they are larger images that can be intercut with the scaled down version...I hope that makes some sense.
Gspot Left Pane of original footage:
Gspot original AVI right panel:
gspot exported AVI left panel (successful good looking AVI)
gspot exported AVI right panel
One screenshot of one out of dozens of FAILED exports... hundreds !
And, finally, screenshots of what WORKED...contrary to nature and science....
Project settings CS3
Project settings rendering:
It gets better !
Export settings CS3 !!!!
Look again at the gspot information about the file that got exported, and trust me it looks really good ....pretty amazing.
I think this might help somebody someday. I know I spent an entire week of at least 12 hours each day trying to get something that WORKED to do this strange little thing....use the same footage for the wide shot and the medium shots, and get an export that looked good and had good sound. It wasn't easy. I don't think anyone could possibly explain WHY this worked. But I'm new at this and I humbly ask that anything that can be added to this, especially for someone out there who is struggling with similar asperations who might read this later....is very welcome.
Thank you so much everyone here ...who with help, advice, taunts, whatever it took, got me to keep at this and get the solution. This forum is wonderful because of everyone who contributes.....