10 Replies Latest reply on Jan 5, 2010 12:09 AM by nealeh

PE8 the worst yet?  What am I doing wrong?

NotEnoughHours Level 1

The last time I used PE was version 4.  That was last year using a laptop running Vista on 2GB RAM - and that crashed several times a session.  Now I have a Windows 7 machine with 8GB RAM and PE8 is crashing virtually once every couple of minutes.  I can't hardly add a transition without it freezing, the monitor preview going blank and/or the whole thing crashing (unexpectedly everytime of course).  What on earth makes Adobe think they can release a product that obviously cannot handle itself in the real world.

I see from viewing this forum that I am not alone.  I don't remember seeing anything when I bought this product that I could expect issues because I now have a 64bit OS??  Yet, apparently that's probably my biggest problem?  Is there anything I can do to make this product slightly more productive?

Thanks for letting me rant...  VREY FRUSTRATED CUSTOMER!

• 1. Re: PE8 the worst yet?  What am I doing wrong?
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Windows 7 64-bit is mentioned at least once a day on this forum in connection with problems with Premiere Elements 8 -- so that could be at the source of your issues.

But if your comment is to Adobe, I encourage you to contact them directly rather than merely posting to a user-to-user forum.

You can contact Adobe by clicking on the Contact button at the very top of this web page.

• 2. Re: PE8 the worst yet?  What am I doing wrong?
            NotEnoughHours Level 1

Thanks Steve - any advice on where to start?  There seems to be so many problems, it would be nice if there were a cheat sheet of some of the most common issues and resolutions for the amatuer like me to follow.  I intend on calling Adobe, though I'm sure that will do nothing - I'll probably get some customer no-service idiot with English as their third language try to read me their cue cards...

My main problem seems to be when I try to add a transition.  When I add a transition, I cannot immediately see the clip - the preview monitor goes blank.  This happens about 8/10 times.  Sometimes it will come back, as if it's been rendering.  This also happens if I try and change any of the properties - even just adding a keyframe. Usually the only way to recover is to restart the whole program - that's if it doesn't crash on you first...

• 3. Re: PE8 the worst yet?  What am I doing wrong?
              the_wine_snob Level 9

Many have posted issues when using Transitions, or Effects, if they had an nVidia graphics card. Installing the latest nVidia driver (still in beta), per the sticky at the top of the forum's main page, has helped many. If you have an nVidia card, that would be the place that I would start.

Next, this ARTICLE will give you tips on setting up your computer for an editing session.

There are also many useful tips on tuning up one's computer in the FAQ's sub-forum, which is accessed from the area to the right of the main forum screen.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 4. Re: PE8 the worst yet?  What am I doing wrong?
                Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

I wasn't clear you were asking for help, Dad. It sounded more like you just wanted to chuck the program.

As Hunt says, the FAQs to the right of this forum are a great place to start. The first several, in fact, deal directly with using and optimizing Premiere Elements 8.

Other factors include your hardware set-up, which operating system you're using and what type of camcorder your video came from. Unfortunately, there is not one-size-fits-all solution.

• 5. Re: PE8 the worst yet?  What am I doing wrong?
                  NotEnoughHours Level 1

Sorry Steve - it was really late last night and I really just wanted to vent.  Today my head is a little clearer and I could use a

bit of help. I'm going to start ploughing through some of those posts and see what I can find.  It's just incredibly frustrating - I don't have any of these issues with other Adobe Programs (I use Dreamweaver, Flash and Photoshop regularly) and thought Adobe was better than this...

Thanks again.  I'm sure I'll have more questions later :-)

• 6. Re: PE8 the worst yet?  What am I doing wrong?
                    NotEnoughHours Level 1

Thanks man - this looks great :-)

• 7. Re: PE8 the worst yet?  What am I doing wrong?
                      NotEnoughHours Level 1

Hey guys.  OK, I finally realized I had a graphics card that was so inadequate I'm ashamed to give it specs on this forum.  I have upgraded to a NVIDIA GeForce GTS250 with 1GB memory.  The program still crashes without any explanation, and at seamingly random times, but only about 2 or three times an hour rather than twenty times an hour before the graphics card upgrade - which right now is manageable.  I have my preferences set to "save" the project every two minutes - that change has saved me a lot of frustration.

• 8. Re: PE8 the worst yet?  What am I doing wrong?
                        Kodebuster Level 3

To help isolate and resolve potentional issues, let's start with the video assets your attempting to use with PE.

What Camcorder (or still camera) did it come from, and whats it's format (Mpeg, MOV, AVCHD, etc.) ???

How was it imported into PE, with Device Capture, Get Media, etc. ???

What are the Project Presets used with PE ???

Once we have an idea of what your working with, we may be better able to help you on your way...

• 9. Re: PE8 the worst yet?  What am I doing wrong?
                          NotEnoughHours Level 1

I appreciate the help, but with this particular project, the assets came from a multitude of different places.  It was an "annual review" type presentation - I had well over a hundred photos sent from several individuals, and at least a couple dozen video clips from at least four different sources.  Once I've done a few more projects, I'll post more info - hopefully I'll be able to isolate the variables down a little by then... thanks again.

• 10. Re: PE8 the worst yet?  What am I doing wrong?
                            nealeh Level 5

WarrensDad wrote:

I have upgraded to a NVIDIA GeForce GTS250 with 1GB memory.

The drivers on the disk that came with the card will be old. Make sure you download the latest version from nvidia. I use 195.62 (the most recent whql version) but others have found more improvement with the beta version highlighted at the top of this forum.

Cheers,
                            --
                            Neale
                            Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children