21 Replies Latest reply on Dec 31, 2009 1:38 PM by liquidSpin78

2minute video takes 30minutes to render?

liquidSpin78 Level 1

Ok, I have an Intel i7-860 Quad Core CPU, overclocked to 3.7Ghz, 8Gb of DDR3 RAM, windows 7 64bit,

I'm using Adobe After Effects CS4 with the latest updates.

I've set the settings to render fast using all 4 CPU's. I have a 2 minute video with very little effects...basic fade transitions and change in color tone and contrast. The video is in HD 1920x1080 29.97fps.

Why does it still take 30 minutes to render a 2 minute video?

Thanks to anyone who'll help me!

• 1. Re: 2minute video takes 30minutes to render?
          Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

Why does it still take 30 minutes to render a 2 minute video?

Because of this:

I've set the settings to render fast using all 4 CPU's.

You are mistaking processing power for overall performance. First, you barely have enough RAM to feed all instances. This may work, but it may be already a bottleneck. Two, you are dealing with footage. Each of the frames needs to be loaded, processed, then written back to disk. With 4 instances, this could exhaust harddisk bandwidth even on some simpler RAID setups. And three, if those frames are written to a movie file, they still need to be appended in the correct order. One instance could wait forever for anotehr to finish before being able to write its frame. All that aside, depending on what effects and settings are used, it is quite possible that even under ideal conditions 2 minute pieces take half an hour to render. On some level you simply should get used to some of that and plan the rendering time as part of the whole process.

Mylenium

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: 2minute video takes 30minutes to render?
            Andrew Yoole MVP & Adobe Community Professional

How long does the same render take if you turn off multi-processing?

What video codec are you using for input and output?

1 person found this helpful
            • 3. Re: 2minute video takes 30minutes to render?
              liquidSpin78 Level 1

ah I see.

I tried turning off the multiprocessing option and changed some things to give more RAM for aftereffects and I did get it down from 30minutes to 19minutes.

So it's getting better but I think I still need a bit more help

• 4. Re: 2minute video takes 30minutes to render?
                liquidSpin78 Level 1

andrew:

I'm saving it out as "Quicktime movie" using "Photo-jpeg"

best settings are being used.

Woah, I just dropped it to 13 minutes...it says "59% used of 4.0GB" I have 8GG thought anyway I can make it use more ram?

• 5. Re: 2minute video takes 30minutes to render?
                  bogiesan-gyyClL Level 3

I'm saving it out as "Quicktime movie" using "Photo-jpeg"

why are you using PJPEG? Most people don't know what to do with that codec.

best settings are being used.

At all levels? Do you have motion blur or frame blending activated?

Woah, I just dropped it to 13 minutes...it says "59% used of 4.0GB" I have 8GG thought anyway I can make it use more ram?

AE cannot look very far ahead to tell you anything about your render. The next frame might include a huge image with heavy effects and the estimated time could jump to three days. And in three or four minutes it could drop to 10 seconds.

RAM does not necessarily increase AE's rendering speed. You can research "increase rendering speed" or "decrease rendering time" here for several hours. I have no patience with such posts. My first AE projects required entire weekends to render one effect on one layer. Today's rendering abilites in AE is nothing short of miraculous.

bogiesan

• 6. Re: 2minute video takes 30minutes to render?
                    liquidSpin78 Level 1

My latest render for the 2minute movie was 13minutes and 55 seconds. Much better but I think it can render faster? I'm hoping this can render in like 4 or 5 minutes with the proper settings. (or maybe not)

Oddly though, when I turn off the multi processing option it takes about 19minutes.

• 7. Re: 2minute video takes 30minutes to render?
                      liquidSpin78 Level 1

bogiesan:

I see. Sorry for my inexperience with exporting and using codecs. I'm trying to catch up so I know I sound very amatuer but hopefully through this experience I can get better.

I've been using Photo-jpeg because it was recommended on another forum for keeping the quality high.

Like i said in my first post this movie has minimal effects. I'm talking about only fade in transitions and some color tone changes. Nothing fancy at all.

• 8. Re: 2minute video takes 30minutes to render?
                        Much better but I think it can render faster? I'm hoping this can render in like 4 or 5 minutes with the proper settings. (or maybe not)

Nobody can answer that without seeing your entire project. Consider, that in addition to the actual processing, things like decoding footage or encoding also take room. you may not have many effects, but if you use compression somewhere, that may chew up more time than the actual effects take to apply. also note, that not each effect is perfectly optimized and that even "simple" effects may run a lot more code under the hood than you think. There's realyl no general recipe. You will only learn these things from trying and then you know how to avoid such unfavorable situations or use alternate commercial plug-ins that do things better/ faster.

Mylenium

• 9. Re: 2minute video takes 30minutes to render?
                          liquidSpin78 Level 1

Mylenium:

Man, it's never that simple is it? hehe

I guess I have to start somewhere so even though it all seems so complicated I'll keep moving forward. I'd love to get better at film editing so I won't give up too easily.

Well,to be more specific about my project:

- I've embedded 4 quicktime videos. All HD 1920x1080 each movie clip is under 200megs.

- Total time is 2 minutes and 9 seconds

- 1 mp3 music file at 7.5MB

--------------

To see the clip I've been working on:

http://www.vimeo.com/8455536

-------------

when I render my settings are:

rendersettings.jpg

outputsettings.jpgpreferences.jpgcompressionsettings.jpg

• 10. Re: 2minute video takes 30minutes to render?
                            liquidSpin78 Level 1

Also,

I've been using H.264 however it always renders really wide...like stretched vertically. The quality is excellent and the file size is around 80megs which is great for uploading for web use.

Rendering it with H.264 my render time is 12 minutes and 52 seconds which is much faster.

• 11. Re: 2minute video takes 30minutes to render?
                              bogiesan-gyyClL Level 3

Nothing's easy around here. We often don't get enough information till rwe've demanded it and that usually just pi$$es people off. We needed to start form the get-go with all of this information. It would have saved us lots of time.

all

"HD" doesn't help much; there are dozens of HD formats and codecs. You could be decompressing your long-GOP HD footage before rendering.

Outputting to H.264 is costing you tons of time. It's highly compressed and requires extensive transcoding after every frame and gruops of frames  has been rendered.

You want to render to a lcodec that will preserve your image and then think of the movie as your master tape. Then you use a better compression tool like Media Encoder, Squeeze, or Compressor to transcode to a release medium like H.264.

the other guys will have some constructive stuff to tell you, too, now that we know more about you're trying to do.

bogiesan

• 12. Re: 2minute video takes 30minutes to render?

As David said, even HD is not just HD. If you are using AVCHD, you already have a massive boner in your workflow chain that costs a lot of speed. H.264 and JPEG 2000 are also both pretty intensive and at least H.264 in Quicktime carries with it the dreaded Gamma issues. If you must use H.264 e.g. in order to upload to Vimeo or YouTube, using Adobe's own encoders might speed up things a little, as they are fully multithreaded and will use all your cores.

Mylenium

• 13. Re: 2minute video takes 30minutes to render?
                                  liquidSpin78 Level 1

Well, the movie files are .mov files shot from a Canon 5D mark II. As I said before they are 1920x1080.

I'll mess with the options some more but I'm a little suprised with the information I've given that I haven't gotten any type of "technique" to try out to see if I can render these video's faster.

• 14. Re: 2minute video takes 30minutes to render?
                                    bogiesan-gyyClL Level 3

Well, the movie files are .mov files shot from a Canon 5D mark II. As I said before they are 1920x1080.

Except that's not the codec, .mov is just the file wrapper. You can't use the .mov files from a Canon directly, they have to be decompressed. So, if you haven't done that first, AE is doing it for you on the fly. An unbelievable time waster.

the workflow for using the movies from Canon DSLRs are easily researched but it's not an AE function. You don't want AE to do anything except process pixels. You're trying to make it do two separate transcoding operations.

bogiesan

• 15. Re: 2minute video takes 30minutes to render?
                                      liquidSpin78 Level 1

bogiesan:

Thanks for that very useful information! I never knew that about Adobe After Effects or about .mov files being just a "wrapper" so to speak.

So there are ways of uncompressing the .mov file? Do you know any good programs that will do this? Are they expensive? Cheap or free?

Thanks!

• 16. Re: 2minute video takes 30minutes to render?
                                        liquidSpin78 Level 1

I just found this:

http://www.frosted.ca/2009/03/26/canon-5d-mark-ii-premier-pro-cs4-1080p-workflow/

too bad this is for a mac OS:(

Message was edited by: liquidSpin78

• 17. Re: 2minute video takes 30minutes to render?
                                          bogiesan-gyyClL Level 3

bogiesan:

Thanks for that very useful information! I never knew that about Adobe After Effects or about .mov files being just a "wrapper" so to speak.

So there are ways of uncompressing the .mov file? Do you know any good programs that will do this? Are they expensive? Cheap or free?

You're welcome. But, my friend, we wasted so much time trying to figure out what you did not know after we figured out you did not know a lot of important and fundamental stuff. After Effects isn't magic. It's huge and deep and ultracomplex and you need a few weeks learning how to use your video origination tools BEFORE you try to bring your video into After Effects.

As a painful reminder, here's your OP:

> I've set the settings to render fast using all 4 CPU's. I have a 2 minute video with very little effects...basic fade transitions and change in color tone and contrast. The video is in HD 1920x1080 29.97fps.

It took a week to figure out that you and the rest of us are not using the same basic language when it comes to the weird world of "video."

bogiesan

• 18. Re: 2minute video takes 30minutes to render?
                                            liquidSpin78 Level 1

Bogiesan:

Yes, you're absolutely right, I'm definitely doing more research in preparing the videos before I import them into Premiere or After Effects.

I just found this:

http://exposureroom.com/members/skumar.aspx/blogs/post/575/

Great tutorial about getting videos from a 5D Mark II into an editing program. I love learning new stuff and I'm glad I know about this now. I will try my best to learn more, but without helpful people like you guys I would not have known and I would've been pulling out my hair trying to figure out "why? why? why?"

hehe

Some day I hope to be a "better" video editor!

• 19. Re: 2minute video takes 30minutes to render?
                                              bogiesan-gyyClL Level 3

Fabulous! Glad to know you've got thick skin. You can go far in this business.

Be sure to explore the entire world of folks who are shooting HD on their Canon DSLRs. It's a large and vocal community.

We're here to help on your next project.

bogiesan

• 20. Re: 2minute video takes 30minutes to render?
                                                Szalam Adobe Community Professional & MVP

The DOD firewall/webblocking I work behind won't let me see the posting you linked, but in case it didn't include this useful bit of info, I decided to present you with it.

This information from Dave LaRonde at CreativeCOW.net will be very important info to know as you work in AE:

If the footage you imported into AE is any kind of the following -- footage in an HDV acquisition codec, MPEG1, MPEG2, mp4, m2t, H.261 or H.264 -- you need to convert it to a different codec.

These kinds of footage use temporal, or interframe compression. They have keyframes at regular intervals, containing complete frame information. However, the frames in between do NOT have complete information. Interframe codecs toss out duplicated information.

In order to maintain peak rendering efficiency, AE needs complete information for each and every frame. But because these kinds of footage contain only partial information, AE freaks out, resulting in a wide variety of problems.

I hope that helps you. Also to further your education this link about how to work with your RAM and AE will be a good read too.

• 21. Re: 2minute video takes 30minutes to render?
                                                  liquidSpin78 Level 1

szalam:

Sweet thanks for the link man.

I also found out that PC users are out of luck. Mac users with final cut pro can use MPEG Streamclip to convert to AIC codec. This in turn, makes it much easier to edit and render/export!

Unfortunately, I don't have a mac so I guess i have to deal with it until Adobe or someone else comes out with a nice program to transcode H.264 into a easier file to work with.

boo hoo.