9 Replies Latest reply on Jan 9, 2010 5:03 AM by DabbsyJ

faulting module ImporterDirectShow.prm Premiere Elements 7

DabbsyJ

I'm getting the following error when burning to DVD in Premier Elements 7.  It's not a massive file - it's about 10 minutes of .AVI files imported from digital camera that also takes vidoes.

It gets to about 60% and then falls over.  Has anyone any thoughts?

I've taken the below from the event viewer application log.

Faulting application Adobe Premiere Elements.exe, version 7.0.0.0, time stamp 0x48cee0db, faulting module ImporterDirectShow.prm, version 7.0.0.0, time stamp 0x48cee7a5, exception code 0xc0000005, fault offset 0x000016eb, process id 0x14b4, application start time 0x01ca893b5de18858.

I've done a google search on ImporterDirectShow.prm and also in the forums, but can't find any hits.  Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Dabbsy

• 1. Re: faulting module ImporterDirectShow.prm Premiere Elements 7
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Most likely your video from a still camera is using the MJPEG-AVI codec, which can cause problems for Premiere Elements.

The best solution is to convert the video to DV-AVIs before importing it into Premiere Elements. The FAQs to the right of this forum show you how to do this with Windows MovieMaker.

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/415317?tstart=0

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: faulting module ImporterDirectShow.prm Premiere Elements 7
            the_wine_snob Level 9

Unfortunately, "AVI" doesn't really tell us anything. That file extension, plus .MOV, .MPEG, .WMV, etc., are but "wrappers," and can contain almost anything. This ARTICLE will explain the concept of wrappers in much more detail and teach you how to peek inside those wrappers to see what's really inside.

Please post the full details of that AVI file, and someone will give you tips on how best to handle it.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 3. Re: faulting module ImporterDirectShow.prm Premiere Elements 7
              DabbsyJ Level 1

Thanks to both of you for your posts

Here's the details for the second post.  I've downloaded gspot, and it shows the below:-

Codec audio 0x0002 (ADPCM)     Codes Installed

video Codec  "XVID"   Codec Name "XviD ISO MPEG-4"       Codecs are installed.

Just going to read the other article about conversion :-)

Thanks

Dabbsy

• 4. Re: faulting module ImporterDirectShow.prm Premiere Elements 7
                DabbsyJ Level 1

Hi Steve,

I've just read your article, and as I have Windows Movie Maker installed, I thought I'd try that one.  Imported avi files ok, dropped onto the timeline, but when I try to

From the Main Menu select File/Save Movie File
                    A dialog will open - Select ‘My Computer’ and press the Next button.

I don't have that option. The only options I have are around saving the project, importing and publishing.  I have version 6.0, do I need a higher version?

Any other thoughts?

Thanks

Dabbsy

• 5. Re: faulting module ImporterDirectShow.prm Premiere Elements 7
                  Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

You will definitely need to convert this file.

This free tutorial from Muvipix shows you how to convert it to a DV-AVI using Windows MovieMaker, as I described above.

• 6. Re: faulting module ImporterDirectShow.prm Premiere Elements 7
                    the_wine_snob Level 9

Xvid is a delivery-only CODEC. It is very highly compressed and is designed for viewing of streaming content. At that job, it does well. However, few NLE's can natively edit it. As Steve comments, conversion will be required and DV-AVI Type II is the ultimate conversion target. Still, because of the high compression, the quality will suffer, and there is nothing that be done to correct that, other than go back before the Xvid compression was introduced. If you camera does this, living with the quality loss is the only course, unfortunately.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 7. Re: faulting module ImporterDirectShow.prm Premiere Elements 7
                      DabbsyJ Level 1

I  loaded up WIndows Movie Maker, and interestingly I can create a short movie in there fine, and then burn it to DVD from there, so not sure why Premiere Elements can't handle it.  I was thinking therefore as work around to create short vidoes in there, and then import them into Premiere Elements.

however when I do this (creates .mswmm), and then import into Premiere Elements, but it's saying "This type of file is not supported or the required codes is not installed". Can anyone adivse of what the correct codes may be and how to get them installed?

thanks

Dabbsy

• 8. Re: faulting module ImporterDirectShow.prm Premiere Elements 7
                        DabbsyJ Level 1

Re: converting to DV-AVI. Looks like on some versions of Media Maker, file save as is actually the same as "Publish" on Vista.  I've tried this now, but the files become huge.  Looks like 5 minutes of clips are about 1Gb in size.

As my next video project is likely to be over 30 minutes, it's going to be over 6Gb in size, so will

1) Premiere Elements be able to handle this

2) Will I be able to burn this to DVD as my DVDs are only 4.7Gb in size

• 9. Re: faulting module ImporterDirectShow.prm Premiere Elements 7
                          DabbsyJ Level 1

Okay, should have done this a long time ago, bitten the bullet and done what was suggested.  As there were nearly 300 clips to go to I thought it would just take too long, but I've edited them in Movie Maker into 5 minute clips.  Then published them to DV-AVI.  This ended up being 12 clips in all, approx 12Gb in size, total video length about an hour.

Added them all to premiere elements, and then created the DVD from there, ended up being just under 4Gb on DVD, and quality seems fine to me.

Thanks for your posts, all done, and lots of copies for relatives too, so extra brownie points there :-)

Right, onto the next project now, armed with more knowledge!!!