4 Replies Latest reply on Dec 30, 2009 10:14 AM by the_wine_snob

Transcoding Error with Premiere Elements 7

JK10003 Level 1

I have worked with Lightroom and with Photoshop Elements, and I am now trying to use Premiere Elements (7) to create a project of video clips and stills from my Canon DSLR.  I can create a DVD with eleven video clips (although it will not play on my old-ish DVD player, just on my computer), but when I add 18 JPEGs (generated from RAW files), I get a "transcoding error" when I try to burn a DVD.  Even without burning, when I try Preview, the still images look extremely low-res.  Any way I can get this to work?

And, please pardon me for saying it, but I use Lightroom a great deal, Elements somewhat, and I have a pretty new 4 GB RAM Dell with much NTFS disk space, and two decades of doing computer support professionally.  Given all of that, Premiere Elements seems to be an atrocious performer - 7 anyway.  It takes an incredibly long time to load, and starts flashing "running low on memory" messages shockingly quickly.  A glance at forum messages suggests that 8 may not be an improvement.  Any suggestions on performance?  Lightroom is pretty much lightning fast.

• 1. Re: Transcoding Error with Premiere Elements 7
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Have you ensured that your photos are optimized to no larger than 1000x750 pixels, per the FAQs to the right of this forum?

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/431851?tstart=0

Loading unnecessarily large photos into Premiere Elements is the chief cause for encoding and memory errors.

You should also convert the video from your still camera to DV-AVIs, also per the FAQs, to ensure smooth operation and transcoding.

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/415317?tstart=0

• 2. Re: Transcoding Error with Premiere Elements 7
            the_wine_snob Level 9

Welcome to the forum.

First, editing Video is far more intense on the computer, than even very large images in PS. The resources issue can likely be overcome by the tips in this ARTICLE.

Also, with any resources issues, remember that these can be physical RAM, and also the Windows Virtual Memory (Page File). The size, location and management of the Page File can be very important, especially if one has many other programs and Processes stealing resources unnecessarily.

Last, let's talk about the burning (and Transcoding) of a DVD-Video. First place to look would be the size of your still images. You cannot display more pixels, than the Frame Size of your Project. Unless you are doing a lot of animation, having them any larger than the Frame Size is a waste. The quality will actually be better, if you do your resizing in PS, and not letting PrE do it for you. This ARTICLE will give you some tips. Having to process large stills will rob your system of necessary resources.

As for the burned DVD-Video not playing in a set-top player, and only a computer, the most likely causes of this are the blank media itself, and too high a burn speed. I strongly recommend using Verbatim, or Taiyo Yuden media, and recommend against using Memorex, TDK, recent RiteK or any store brands. I also would use slower speed media, as PrE will try to get the fastest burn, based on the speed of the blank media and the burner. Slower is better. I can manually assign the speed in my authoring program, and choose a speed at least half of the max.

Good luck,

Hunt

1 person found this helpful
            • 3. Re: Transcoding Error with Premiere Elements 7
              JK10003 Level 1

Wow.  Thanks.  I certainly need to digest all of this, but thanks very much for the detailed, personalized answer.

JK

• 4. Re: Transcoding Error with Premiere Elements 7
                the_wine_snob Level 9

Here's an ARTICLE on DVD-Videos that play on a computer, but not on a set-top player.

Hope that this helps. I don't mean to overload you with a holiday reading list, but think that some of the tips and tricks in those articles might be useful.

Good luck,

Hunt

1 person found this helpful