Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Query Questions

Participant ,
Jun 11, 2008 Jun 11, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello all,
I am trying to pull out information from the database based on what a link is passing. But I am pulling out information I don't need.

Here are my links:

cad1.cfm?headmodel=14

cad1.cfm?headmodel=14V

And the Query:

<cfquery name="getforce" datasource="mydb">
SELECT * FROM presses WHERE model_head LIKE '#headmodel#%'
</cfquery>

Now my problem is that I need only the results with a V in it to come up when using that link and vice versa. But they come up when using the link without the V as well.
TOPICS
Advanced techniques

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Setting headmodel=14 should give you results both with and without the V, and headmodel=14V should include only those with the V. Is that what you are getting?

Phil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

quote:

Originally posted by: paross1
Setting headmodel=14 should give you results both with and without the V, and headmodel=14V should include only those with the V. Is that what you are getting?

Phil

That is correct. What I need is setting headmodel=14 to not bring up any results with the V. I don't know how to do that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

quote:

What I need is setting headmodel=14 to not bring up any results with the V. I don't know how to do that.
Then your query should look more like this:

SELECT * FROM presses WHERE model_head = '#headmodel#'

Of course, when using = instead of using LIKE with wildcards (%), the value in #headmodel#' must match exactly with the values in the model_head column.

Phil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think what I want to to can't be done. There are more things after the 14 or 14v.

Example 14f/14fr or 14v/14vfr

So I can't query the exact match because I would have the database for things that match the following. That is why I used the LIKE statement:

cad1.cfm?headmodel=14 (14 or 14f or 14f/14fr)

cad1.cfm?headmodel=14V (14v or 14vf or 14vfr)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Your logic problem is that you are not using wildcards. Performance wise, you should scope your variables and use cfqueryparam.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

exactly how are these url variables being generated anyway?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

quote:

Originally posted by: Dan Bracuk
exactly how are these url variables being generated anyway?

Well, I am just putting the "cad1.cfm?headmodel=14" as a link so when you click it the query pulls out results according to what the headmodel equals. That's where I'm running into the problem, because I don't know what to put to just bring out 14's or 14v's. There is always going to be things after the 14 or 14V Ex. 14F or 14VFR.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Let's rephrase that question. Are these url variables hard coded? Are they query results? Are they random strings?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jun 12, 2008 Jun 12, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Dan,
These are just hard coded variables.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's possible that you have a bad plan and/or a bad database design. However, there is not enough information to tell.

Will these url variables eventually be coming from an anchor tag or a form field where the method = get?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Anything is possible. Here is what a portion of the database looks like. It is MS Access.

My hardcoded links to choose either 14...whatever or 14v...whatever

cad1.cfm?headmodel=14

cad1.cfm?headmodel=14V

Then to the action page with the query:

<cfquery name="getforce" datasource="mydb">
SELECT * FROM presses WHERE model_head LIKE '#headmodel#%'
</cfquery>

And a link to the database design of it.

<a href=" http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b218/indigobluedreamz/db.jpg">Click Here</a>

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
Your task would be so much easier if you normalized your db.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Documentation