8 Replies Latest reply on Aug 19, 2010 4:12 PM by Courtney.Sarandon

Deleting old files

lscharpp

How do I delete the old files from fireworks?

• 1. Re: Deleting old files
          heathrowe Most Valuable Participant

Which old files? Can you be more specific?

h

• 2. Re: Deleting old files
            lscharpp Level 1

The files in  "Open a recent item".

Linda Scharpp

lscharpp@hotmail.com

253-389-8526

Date: Thu, 31 Dec 2009 08:37:07 -0700

To: lscharpp@hotmail.com

Subject: Deleting old files

Which old files? Can you be more specific?

h

>

• 3. Re: Deleting old files
              heathrowe Most Valuable Participant

Ah, unfortunately, there isn't an option to clear them as they are written ddirectly to the registry.

Sure would make a nice little Preference option. 'Clear list on Restart' or something along those lines.

h

• 4. Re: Deleting old files
                lscharpp Level 1

Actually I had a tech support person show me how to do it once. Unfortunately I didn't write it down and now no one else knows how to do it. She had me rename Fireworks to Fireworks.old which cleared out the registry. Does that sound familiar?

Linda Scharpp

lscharpp@hotmail.com

253-389-8526

Date: Thu, 31 Dec 2009 11:35:10 -0700

To: lscharpp@hotmail.com

Subject: Deleting old files

Ah, unfortunately, there isn't an option to clear them as they are written ddirectly to the registry.

Sure would make a nice little Preference option. 'Clear list on Restart' or something along those lines.

h

>

• 5. Re: Deleting old files
                  Michel Bozgounov Level 2

As far as I know, Fireworks CS4 stores recent files list in registry.

I will give you an example with Windows XP Professional:

If you open the registry editor (run > "regedit"), navigate to:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER > Software > Adobe > Fireworks > 10 > ini > Recent File List > (here you will see: File 1, File 2, File 3, and in Data column, you will see the paths to the files.

Simply select File 1, File 2, etc., in this list, and use "delete" on your keyboard. Next time you start Fireworks, Recent Files sub-menu will be empty

For Win Vista and 7, not sure...

(Btw, "10" in the registry path I mentioned above, "10" is for Fireworks version 10 (Fw CS4). For Fireworks CS3 recent files list, the value will be "9", etc.)

• 6. Re: Deleting old files
                    Michel Bozgounov Level 2

Hi, Linda,

Digging through some articles on the Web:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_Registry#.REG_files

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/310516

...and doing some research on my own...

...I've come to the conclusion that:

1) If you are using Windows XP Professional (or Home Edition),

2) You use Adobe Fireworks CS4,

the following ZIP archive that I have attached for you may help you clear easily the "Recent Files List" in Fireworks CS4.

The ZIP archive contains:

1) a small READ ME txt file.

2) a file called "run-me.bat" (descriptive name, huh?;-)

3) another file, called "fw-cs4-clear-recent-files-list-win-xp.reg" -- this file is actually run by the "run-me.bat" file.

If you are on Windows XP and use Fireworks CS4, you can easily delete the recent files list in just one click.

a) Close Fireworks CS4.

b) Double-click the file "run-me.bat".

c) Start Fireworks CS4, and the "Open recent..." submenu will be now empty!

How this all works?

The file run-me.bat contains only one line of code -- it simply tells Windows XP to run the registry file (which I included and should be in the same folder as run-me.bat): fw-cs4-clear-recent-files-list-win-xp.reg ...in the so-called "silent" mode -- or, in other words, without confirmation.

When the file fw-cs4-clear-recent-files-list-win-xp.reg is run by the run-me.bat file, it simply removes automatically the sub-keys in Windows registry, which hold the information about the recent files, accessed by Adobe Fireworks CS4 -- the subkeys are here in the registry, btw:

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Adobe\Fireworks\10\ini\Recent File List]

That's all. So instead of trying to locate these subkeys and delete them manually each time (which could lead to troubles, if you make a mistake -- editing the registry is not a safe operation, if you don't know what you're doing!), you can now easily do the action "clear recent files list" in just one click! :-)

I have tested this to work on Windows XP Professional SP3 and Fireworks CS4 b.10.0.3.011.

NOTE: You must not try to run this script on Windows Vista or Windows 7, because it is intended for Windows XP only! Also, note that this will work with Fireworks CS4 only (if you need this script to work for another version of Fireworks -- CS3, for example -- simply leave a note here and I'll upload another version for you).

Hope this helps! And Happy 2010!

Cheers,
                    --Michel

• 7. Re: Deleting old files
                      Michel Bozgounov Level 2

Hmm.. I just wondered if a Fw guru could create a small extension for Fireworks, that would clear recent files list, when run? Could be based on my .bat file that does this currently...

Just a thought... Perhaps this could be useful to someone?

• 8. Re: Deleting old files
                        Courtney.Sarandon

Michel Bozgounov wrote:

Hmm.. I just wondered if a Fw guru could create a small extension for Fireworks, that would clear recent files list, when run? Could be based on my .bat file that does this currently...

Just a thought... Perhaps this could be useful to someone?

I also think so, In that case, it's wonderful.