7 Replies Latest reply on Dec 30, 2009 3:30 PM by PedroAlberto

Why use ins and out points for clips?

PedroAlberto Level 1

Hello,

I use PPCS3 and never understood the need for ins and out points for clips.

I always just took my clip (no matter how long or short) and trimmed it on the timeline in the sequence.

Is it just a different method or is there something I am completely missing when it comes to ins and outs?

I guess it just depends on what you are used to doing.

Any guidance here on where the ins and outs makes a big difference would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Simon

• 1. Re: Why use ins and out points for clips?
          the_wine_snob Level 9

Simon,

You are actually using In & Out Points on the instances of your footage on the Timeline. You are just doing it on the Timeline, in stead of in the Source Monitor. It's a matter of how you wish to work. PrPro offers many ways to do different operations. One could also use the Trim Monitor for this, if that is how they wished to do it.

Good luck, and hope that this helps,

Hunt

• 2. Re: Why use ins and out points for clips?
            PedroAlberto Level 1

Hello,

That makes sense.

I just wanted to make sure I was not doing something wrong or inefficiently.

I am getting the shuttle pro v2 today so I want to make sure my video editing process is as efficient as possible.

Happy New Year and thanks,

Simon

• 3. Re: Why use ins and out points for clips?
              Curt Wrigley Level 4

Generally; the most effecient work flow is to use the mouse the least amount as possible.

Load clip into the source monitor

Use JKL to control video.

Use i and o to set in and out points

Press . to drop it on the timeline

Repeat with next clip

This workflow allows you to assemble a timeline very quickly.   Of course you go back a tweak it with the timeline tools; but getting your trimed clips down quickly is best done with keystrokes rather than mousing; If you want to be fast.

It takes a while to get the hang of it; but if you force yourself to learn it; you will not go back to mousing and dragging.

• 4. Re: Why use ins and out points for clips?
                PedroAlberto Level 1

That is an interesting way of doing it.

But what if there are 2 or more good scenes in one clip?Can you add more points in one clip?

As you can see, I never messed with the source monitor much.

But you are right, I use the mouse too much which is not very efficient.

Thanks for the tips.

Simon

• 5. Re: Why use ins and out points for clips?
                  the_wine_snob Level 9
                  It takes a while to get the hang of it; but if you force yourself to learn it; you will not go back to mousing and dragging.

I worked at it, but probably not enough, as I finally reverted to my mouse. Maybe it was just an "old dogs... " issue. Many use the keystrokes and love that workflow. I was just not one of them. Still, PrPro offers one several methods to accomplish things - fortunately, at least one of those works for me.

Hunt

• 6. Re: Why use ins and out points for clips?
                    Curt Wrigley Level 4

PedroAlberto wrote:

That is an interesting way of doing it.

But what if there are 2 or more good scenes in one clip?Can you add more points in one clip?

As you can see, I never messed with the source monitor much.

But you are right, I use the mouse too much which is not very efficient.

Thanks for the tips.

Simon

Sure; In fact some folk capture one long clip and use this method to trim hundreds of clips to the timeline from the one long source clip.   Once you master it, you will be amazed how much faster you can edit.    I got much faster kicking out work once I ladopted this workflow.

• 7. Re: Why use ins and out points for clips?
                      PedroAlberto Level 1

LOL!

That person would be me! hehehe!

I did that with my old camera (hv20).

Now I have the HMC-150 and it creates a new clip automatically after each scene so now I have more cilps and not just one 60 minute clip. hehe!

Take care,

Simon