16 Replies Latest reply on Jan 2, 2010 12:53 PM by hrfrerich

free transform tool in Illustrator?

AllyPugh Level 1

I have drawn a set of boxes, copy and pasted them. I now want to make them look like they vanish into the distance.

So I want to select the free transform tool then hold ctrl, sft, & Alt to make them warp.

Why wont it do it on multiple items?

• 1. Re: free transform tool in Illustrator?
          JETalmage Level 6

It should work on multiple selected paths. I assume that whatever you're referring to as "boxes" are normal vector PATHS.

JET

• 2. Re: free transform tool in Illustrator?
            AllyPugh Level 1

Yeah, normal boxes. I am doing everything I'm meant to as far as the help menu suggests but it just resiz

es it not any kind of warp?

• 3. Re: free transform tool in Illustrator?
              PrepressPro1 Adobe Community Professional

Did you use a corner handle or one of the handles along the length? Try using a corner handle and start dragging holding shift+control then add the alt modifier key, while still dragging. Sounds a little tricky but I am on a Mac and if I want to get this to happen I hold down Shift+Option, while still dragging I add the Command key to the key combo. This should work on the Windows side but the keys being held down are different.

• 4. Re: free transform tool in Illustrator?
                AllyPugh Level 1

Thanks for the suggestion but it still won't warp.

Anyone? Help. I'm on Ai.CS3

• 5. Re: free transform tool in Illustrator?
                  JETalmage Level 6

You must press the keyboard modifiers AFTER you mousedown on the bounding box corner handle.

JET

• 6. Re: free transform tool in Illustrator?
                    AllyPugh Level 1

Yep, tried it, not working...

• 7. Re: free transform tool in Illustrator?
                      PrepressPro1 Adobe Community Professional

Perhaps there is some confusion between the Free Transform Tool and the Warp Effect.

Picture 2.pngPicture 3.png

• 8. Re: free transform tool in Illustrator?
                        AllyPugh Level 1

I am using the correct tool, I am using it as instructed but this isn't working...

Is it anything to do with my scratch disk? Sometimes this effects functions in Photoshop?

• 9. Re: free transform tool in Illustrator?
                          Jacob Bugge MVP & Adobe Community Professional

Allllreeet,

When something becomes funny, it may be time to revive the (correct) preferences. The dirty, easy, irreversible, and less thorough way is to Ctrl+Alt+Shift/Cmd+Option+Shift during startup; the more thorough and reversible way is to Move the folder

Allllreeet?

• 10. Re: free transform tool in Illustrator?
                            AllyPugh Level 1

Wow thats a fair complicated way around the problem..

I've just started working with another file of multiple objects in Ai. And the free transform is working fine so it cant be that which is the problem. In the original file, the boxes are trimmed (pathfinder tool) out of one solid shape. I then deleted the outside to leave the individual boxes, so if I select one box now they are all selected as they are cut out of one shape.

Is this why it won't work correctly?

• 11. Re: free transform tool in Illustrator?
                              Jacob Bugge MVP & Adobe Community Professional

Alllllreeet,

Preference corruption always affects all files, so that is not it.

Have you tried selecting the Group normally with the Selection Tool (black arrow) first, and then used the Free Transform Tool on one of the corners of the Bounding Box (provided you have Bounding Box on in View so it is shown)?

• 12. Re: free transform tool in Illustrator?
                                Wade_Zimmerman Level 6

If it is working correctly in one and not the other document then it is either some setting or a document corruption which is always possible.

If you cannot find a setting of some sort and I for one cannot think of such a setting, then you might want to try to select all your art and copy and paste it into a new Empty document and save it with a new name.

• 13. Re: free transform tool in Illustrator?
                                  AllyPugh Level 1

Thanks for all ur help but its a mystery

Tried it all, no such luck

• 14. Re: free transform tool in Illustrator?
                                    hrfrerich Level 1

All the suggestions didnt work for me either.

To distort a set of shapes like 1-pt perspective:

select all shapes > group > effect menu > distort&transform > free distort > drag top edges in > ok

you will have to move both corners seperately so it wont be "perfect", this may be desired.

To distort a set of shapes with perfectly centered 1-pt perspective:

select all shapes > group > effect menu > warp > [select any] > set "bend" value to 0% > check "preview" > set "vertical" to a positive value. > ok

• 15. Re: free transform tool in Illustrator?
                                      JETalmage Level 6
                                      In the original file, the boxes are trimmed (pathfinder tool) out of one solid shape. I then deleted the outside to leave the individual boxes, so if I select one box now they are all selected as they are cut out of one shape.

Allreet,

If you really care to get to the bottom of this, you need to describe EXACTLY the steps you performed, and not withold pertinent information preventing anyone from replicating your situtation. The above description makes no sense, but it suggests there is more going on your file than just a few simple paths, which may very well have a bearing on the Free Transform tool seeming to fail. (It's really annoying when someone posts a question resulting in a long thread with others trying to help, only to find that pertinent information has been witheld.)

Why did you use a Pathfinder, and EXACTLY which Pathfinder did you use? (Trim does not do what you describe.) What was the "solid shape"? What was its content, if any? What EXACTLY were the other objects involved, and how many? Which were selected when you applied the Pathfinder? Did you Expand the Pathfinder, or is it still a live effect? Are there any raster images involved in this at all?

HR,

Neither of your suggested alternate methods (FreeDistort Effect or Warp Envelope) equate to the so-called perspective distortion of the Free Transform Tool. Both of those methods simply distort the content into a "wedge" envelope. The Free Transform Tool logrithmically moves/scales anchorpoints toward/away from the so-called "vanishing point."

You can see the difference by comparing the results when performed on a grid:

Even the "perspective trick" of the Free Distort tool alone does not result in convincing perspective if not followed by other moves. Note that in the top right image, the square "floor tiles" have become grossly stretched. There is no way that the supposedly square tiles, viewed at an angle, would appear taller than their width; quite the opposite would be the case. A second vertical scaling move is required.

None of the above nor other more tedious workarounds in Illustrator come even close to the practicality and utility of the dedicated Perspective Grid toolset built many years ago into FreeHand. It was a true ground-breaking innovation in 2D vector drawing programs; the first-ever real example of how the interface in mainstream Bezier drawing programs could break free of their lamely pervasive vertical/horizontal orientation and provide an environment in which an illustrator is allowed to think like an illustrator, instead of having to continually devise workarounds to achieve what was intuitively done on paper for centuries before these lame flat-design softwares (which is all they really are) appeared.

Adobe, of course, has simply removed this ground-breaking innovation from the market. There is nothing in Illustrator nor in any of the other mainstream Bezier drawing programs that even comes close to it. Adobe has set practical 2D vector drawing development backward by 10 years.

JET

• 16. Re: free transform tool in Illustrator?
                                        hrfrerich Level 1

ummmm. you can use the methods i described or just use 3D rotate to acheive a perfect grid in any perspective imaginable.