15 Replies Latest reply on Jan 5, 2010 3:41 PM by Bill Gehrke

My i7-Core 975 for AVCHD editing

hbannister

I have scoured this forum in hopes of learning as much as possible on building a PPCS4 editing rig.  I am obviously not alone in trying to build a "good" system.  I have found the articles by Harm Millaard to be especially helpful.  I will use this thread to post the system that I have configured ( I have actually built 3 systems over the last month, 2-920's and 1-975).  I am hoping that this thread will be another helpful resource to others that are trying to build a system. 

I can't stress enough about searching this and other forums for information before building a machine. It has been extremely helpful to me. I will include updates to this thread as I OC and benchmark the results, as I have found these real results to be the only way to compare systems while choosing my components.

My basic system:

ASUS P6T7 WS SuperComputer mobo in Cooler Master HAC chassis, Intel i7-975 @ 3.33GHz (OC'd to come soon), 12GB Corsair DDR3 RAM, EGVA nvidia GTX 295 video card, Corsair CMPSU-1000HX, Noctua NH-U12P-SE2, Areca ARC-1280ML raid controller with 2GB cache, APC UPS 1500. 2-ASUS VH222H-P monitors.

My HDD's:

2-300GB WD VelociRaptor's. 1 used for the OS (Win 7 64bit) and the other free for now.

HDTach C drive test results.jpg

7-1TB Samsung Spinpoint F3's in Raid 3 with an 8th as a Hot Spare

HDTach Raid3 test results.jpg

Optical Drives:

1 - Pioneer BD Burner

1 - Lite-On DVD RW Burner

My initial benchmark scores (again non-OC'd):

PassMark Scores: WD3000 799.7, CPU Mark 6686.2

PPBM4 Score 45.4 secs

Cinebench R10: Single CPU 5069, Multi CPU 20001, OpenGL 6588

• 1. Re: My i7-Core 975 for AVCHD editing
          Curt Wrigley Level 4

I would suggest you consider:  if you are that  serious about building the perfect editing machine, you should  consider buying an camera that records better quality video.   Sometimes you dont have a choice if you are editing other people's stuff.  But if this is for your own editing, I seriously consider a different camera format.   AVCHD is tough to edit on the best system.

• 2. Re: My i7-Core 975 for AVCHD editing
            hbannister Level 1

I appreciate your comment. What would you suggest? I will have to do quite a bit of AVCHD editing, but if I had influence over the type of HD footage to bring in, what would you suggest?  I do feel AVCHD is here to stay for a good bit and it's quality is amazing for the price. A small camera is a necessity for some of my clients, but I am extremely interested in other formats. 

• 3. Re: My i7-Core 975 for AVCHD editing
              Curt Wrigley Level 4

It depends on your budget.   Good tapeless format cams start at $5K and up.   If your budget is less than that and have to be tapeless, you are stuck with AVCHD.  Im just setting your expectations; dont expect to to edit smoothly; at least with today's hw and sw; without converting it to another format.

• 4. Re: My i7-Core 975 for AVCHD editing
                Harm Millaard Level 7

With these results you have the best non-OC results in the PPBM4 benchmarkt test, even better than two W55xx systems. Great work!!

With current hardware you could not have done better, so while Curt's remarks are valid, you cannot significantly improve on that with the current crop of components, I don't know how AVCHD would edit on your system for the simple reason I have never used it so I have no comparison. As to what camera would be a good match with your hardware, I personally like the Sony XDCAM-EX3 very much because of it's handling and superior image quality and ease of editing. Semi-shoulder cameras have the advantage of handling like a shoulder camera and the portability/weight of a hand-held. Add to that the 1/2" sensors for high sensitivity in low light, exchangeable lenses and nice DOF and it makes it a very nice package for a reasonable price.

• 5. Re: My i7-Core 975 for AVCHD editing
                  hbannister Level 1

Thanks Harm!  As I said before, you should see a huge reflection of your articles in this system. I can't wait to OC it and the 2 920's. I can't thank you enough.  I encourage everyone to have a look at those articles BEFORE buying, or hopefully, building a system.

As for editing AVCHD on this system... so far so good. In fact, leaps and bounds above anything I have ever worked on before. I was pleasantly surprised with the playback in PP.  Smooth and pretty (so far).  I have NOT done a large project yet (large for me is a total length of 30 mins or thereabouts).... but I am bullish. I will report back as I delve in to using more filters and more edits etc...

As for the camera, I have just looked in to the EX3 that you suggested and it looks GREAT!  As we upgrade our equipment I may look in to something like that. We have some unique needs with our cameras and size is a very relevant issue.  I surely appreciate the recommendation and it looks like a beautiful piece of gear and under $10k... cool.

On an aside, I am so pleased with the Areca Raid Controller. What a fantastic piece of gear. It is easy to setup and the tech support top notch.  I had a weird issue where windows would not recognize the raid drive controlled by the Areca, when I had the OS drive configured in raid 1 on mobo's controller... anyway, Areca tech support helped me figure it out quickly... and all systems go.

Curt, thanks for your input as well!

Horatio

2009-12-23 17.32.02.jpg

• 6. Re: My i7-Core 975 for AVCHD editing
                    Bill Gehrke Most Valuable Participant

If the 45.4 seconds for your non-overclocked score on my PPBM4 is correct you have passed up the dual Xeon W5590 3.33 GHz unit score of 46.6 seconds. Look out Harm!  Sounds like my Supercomputer MB that is slowly being assembled was a step in the right direction.  Sure would like to see the output.txt file..

• 7. Re: My i7-Core 975 for AVCHD editing
                      hbannister Level 1

I would be happy to post the file. I will do it on Monday when I am back at

work. Thanks for providing ppbm4. It is a great way to learn about and

assess gear for pp. As I keep saying, this forum is such a fantastic

resource. Thanks!... Oh, when do you update the ppbm4 benchmark results list?

Horatio

• 8. Re: My i7-Core 975 for AVCHD editing
                        hbannister Level 1

These are the results from my first ppbm4 benchmark:

HB-i7core-975,   Personal or Computer ID

ASUS,  Computer Manufacturer

P6T7 WS SuperComputer,   Computer Model

45.4,  secs Total Benchmark Time

5.2,  secs AVI  Encoding Time

28.2,  secs MPEG Elapsed Time

12,  secs Rendering Time

Intel,    CPU Manufacturer

I7 Core 975,    CPU Model

3.33,    GHz CPU speed

1,    Number of CPU chips

4,    Total Number of Cores

12,    GB RAM

4.2.1,    APP Version PPBM4 DV

Win 7 64,    OSVersion

SATA,    OS Disk Interface

300,    GB OS Disk Capacity

10,000,    OS Disk Speed

SATA,    Project Disk Interface

1.000 x 7 R3,    GB Project Disk Capacity

7,200,    Project Disk Speed

,    Preview Disk Interface

,    GB Preview Disk Capacity

,    Preview Disk Speed

,    Output Disk Interface

,    GB Output Disk Capacity

,    Output Disk Speed

GTX 295,    Graphics Board

Areca ARC-1280ML,    Comment

• 9. Re: My i7-Core 975 for AVCHD editing
                          Harm Millaard Level 7

Horatio,

Did you also email the file to Bill? That way he can easily include your results.

Great results!!!

• 10. Re: My i7-Core 975 for AVCHD editing
                            hbannister Level 1

Harm,

I did send it to him. Thanks for all of the help and info!! I can't wait to OC it... this week as long as work isn't to crazy.  This system is a tribute to your info and help available on the forum.  

Horatio

• 11. Re: My i7-Core 975 for AVCHD editing
                              hbannister Level 1

Very cool!!  If this is not a testament to the power and knowledge of this forum, I don't know what is. Fastest non-OC'd system (for now of course ) and top 4 overall,  from all of the knowledge here. Thanks Harm for all of the incite and help & thanks Bill for your suggestions. I am going to implement some of your suggestions and see if I can get the AVI score up.

HB i7core 975 top 4 PPBM4.jpg

• 12. Re: My i7-Core 975 for AVCHD editing
                                blkdrgn18 Level 1

WOW, I have almost the same setup. Once my new parts come in I will post some results. I mostly deal with AVCHD files from my Canon HF11 camcorder.

Current system:

Windows 7 64bit

Premiere Pro CS4

i7 965

12GB memory

ASUS p6t mobo

Two 300GB Raptors (RAID1)

Two 1.5TB WD (RAID1)

LG BD Burner

APC 1500

Three 24" monitors

Two NVIDIA video cards (cant remember some very cheap crappy ones)

New system when parts come in:

Windows 7 64bit

Premiere Pro CS4

i7 965 (OC)

12GB memory

ASUS p6t mobo

Two 120 OCZ SSD (RAID0)

Five 2TB WD (RAID10)

Areca 1231ML RAID Controller

LG BD Burner

Samsung DVD Burner

APC 1500

(still debating on video card, GTX 285 or FX 4800)

Two 30" Dell 3008 Monitors

• 13. Re: My i7-Core 975 for AVCHD editing
                                  Harm Millaard Level 7
                                  function(){return A.apply(null,[this].concat($A(arguments)))}

Five 2TB WD (RAID10)

For a raid10 you need an even number of disks, so either 4 or 6, not 5.

• 14. Re: My i7-Core 975 for AVCHD editing
                                    blkdrgn18 Level 1

Your correct, my typo. i meant 6

• 15. Re: My i7-Core 975 for AVCHD editing
                                      Bill Gehrke Most Valuable Participant

Since you have two graphics cards, my suggestion is use one in your new configuration as neither of the cards you are looking at will help with CS4, then when CS5 is delivered make you choice at that time for a high end CUDA enabled card.