8 Replies Latest reply on Jan 1, 2010 9:34 AM by the_wine_snob

Can,t insert one clip after another in the scene line

workernot Level 1

Hi,

I am new to Premiere elements 7 and can,t seem to drag and drop clips one after another onto the scene line, when I try to do this they all seem to stack on top of each other in the first clip target . Please can anyone enlighten me.

• 1. Re: Can,t insert one clip after another in the scene line
          the_wine_snob Level 9

This will happen when you have DD 5.1 SS Audio, and have not set your Project Preset to that Audio format. I'm guessing that you have an AVCHD camera, and DD 5.1 SS Audio.

Look at things in Timeline View Mode, and you'll see where things are going. Still, the proper Project Preset is the best way to address things.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 2. Re: Can,t insert one clip after another in the scene line
            Barb__O Level 4

Or it might be a Sony HDD or DVD camcorder recording standard definition video that is MPEG2 (SD) with 5.1 Audio.

The dilemma in that case is that there is no Project Setting for MPEG2 SD with 5.1 Audio. Some workarounds are needed. In general, you can get better results using the Timeline.

So do post back with the specifics of your video clips as the basis for more discussion.

• 3. Re: Can,t insert one clip after another in the scene line
              the_wine_snob Level 9

Barb,

Thank you. I was not aware of the other variables in cameras with DD 5.1 SS.

Appreciated,

Hunt

• 4. Re: Can,t insert one clip after another in the scene line
                workernot Level 1

Yes the model is a Sony handycam with standard definition video and I have recorded in 5.1ch surround sound. There is a lot of film to work through as I have been travelling for a year recording my trip. Would it be better from here on in to record in the other option of 2ch stereo?

• 5. Re: Can,t insert one clip after another in the scene line
                  Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

This can happen if you don't have your project set up for 5.1 audio. More information is in the FAQs to the right of this forum.

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/471666?tstart=0

• 6. Re: Can,t insert one clip after another in the scene line
                    the_wine_snob Level 9

Yes, 2-channel will be better for editing.

Now, you can still use the Timeline View Mode, and your 5.1 SS will go to an appropriate 5.1 Audio Track. Sceneline View Mode just gets confused, and the Clips stack up on each other.

Recording in 5.1 SS, to be done effectively, is a very involved process. With a camera, as your only recording device, one gets mostly unwanted Audio. It sounds cool, when you read of it, but in reality, to get 5.1 SS requires a mixing console, 6 discrete, well-placed, special mics., and a separate 6-8 channel recorder.

Also note that PrE can only output to 2-channel (dual-mono, or stereo) Audio, so any 5.1 SS material is down-mixed to 2-channel. PrPro can output as DD 5.1 SS, but requires a $US 250 plug-in from Minnetonka Audio/SurCode.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 7. Re: Can,t insert one clip after another in the scene line
                      Barb__O Level 4

workernot wrote:

Hi,

I am new to Premiere elements 7 and can,t seem to drag and drop clips one after another onto the scene line, when I try to do this they all seem to stack on top of each other in the first clip target . Please can anyone enlighten me.

Referring back to the initial post -

Workernot,

Instead of dragging and dropping to the Sceneline, drag and drop to the Timeline.

The difference is that this should give you all the clips on the same track of the Timeline.

However, this will still not give you results where you can see your clips on the Sceneline because it will not place the clips on Track 1 of the Timeline.

Steve,

Because PE 7 does not have a Project Setting for standard definition MPEG-2 video and 5.1 audio, it is not possible to match the PE Project setting to this video. I don't know whether Adobe just did not do their research or if they intentionally excluded the Sony HDD and DVD camcorders that record standard definiton video when creating PE 7.  However, it is not Sony who is impacted: it is the customers of Adobe and Sony.

Workernot,

I don't know if your camcorder can record with 2 channel audio. Other people have posted that their Sony camcorders do not have the ability to record 2 channel audio. What model of Sony camcorder do you have? What version of Windows are you running?

Workernot, Steve and Hunt,

Other options that can be considered

1 -- Place your video clips on Track 2 of the Timeline and work in this manner. (If the initially place on a higher track, you can Delete unused tracks to bring them down to Track 2)

2-- Convert each of these video clips to DV-AVI (references to FAQ's can be discussed for achieving this)

3 -- This problem of not being able to use the Sceneline does not exist in PE 8, PE 3 and I think PE4. Therefore moving to a different version of PE would avoid the problem. 

Note: I have not moved to PE 8 because I am concerned that my hardware is not sufficient to run it satisfactorily. So I can't provide specifics for it: however I did learn by conversation with others that this specific problem does not exist in PE 8.

• 8. Re: Can,t insert one clip after another in the scene line
                        the_wine_snob Level 9

Barb,

As always, thank you for those insightful comments. The workflow suggestions are particularly appreciated.

Happy New Year,

Hunt