6 Replies Latest reply on Dec 31, 2009 8:44 AM by Jacob Bugge

Joining

christineelm

I am having a problem with a t-shirt template, again.  I'm using CS4 and my knowledge is limited.  I am trying to join the right and left side of the t-shirt but I keep getting an error message.  Could someone take a look at this file and see if they can find the problem.  Thanks for any help.

• 1. Re: Joining
          hrfrerich Level 1

is grouping not sufficient?

what are you trying to do with the joined peices?

• 2. Re: Joining
            Jacob Bugge MVP & Adobe Community Professional

Christine,

When I open the document in good old 10, I can:

1) ClickDrag with the Direct Selection Tool over the coinciding bottom (or top) midpoints (and see 2 Paths with a total of 30 Anchor Points in the Document Info palette);

2) Ctrl+J (Cmd+J for a Mac) (and see 1 Path with a total of 30 Anchor Points in the Document Info palette);

3) Repeat 1) and 2) for the coinciding top (bottom) midpoints (and still see 1 Path with a total of 30 Anchor Points in the Document Info palette) to close the path;

all while keeping the Clipping Mask and without any error messages.

Which error message (the usual one, to join, you must select two open endpoints ...)?

• 3. Re: Joining

Christine,

If it does not work when done as described in post #2, and as you have done with the other joints (at the shoulder parts, close to the neck and other places as far as I remember, where it required more care to stay clear of neighbouring Anchor Points), it may be time to revive the (correct) preferences. The dirty, easy, irreversible, and less thorough way is to Ctrl+Alt+Shift/Cmd+Option+Shift during startup; the more thorough and reversible way is to Move the folder

The Clipping masks should not matter, but you may Object>Clipping Masks>Release before joining and then recreate it (this might be where corrupted preferences might corrupt the workflow).

• 4. Re: Joining
                Wade_Zimmerman Level 6

Nah that's not it!

They have the both paths set up as a group that has been grouped for some reason.

All they have to do is select each of the two paths individually and ungroup but they have to ungroup twice in both case now they will be able to join the points together and make one path.

I am not certain how or why the paths became grouped.

That is the answer and I just did it in CS 4. A now i only have one path.

You should try to keep your workflow simple.

• 5. Re: Joining
                  christineelm Level 1

That works.  Thanks so much for your help!

• 6. Re: Joining

That is strange: when I open (import) the document into 10, the paths are just single paths which are in the same (only) Group also containing the clipping path.

So it seems that the document is stripped of the unnecessary single path groups.