6 Replies Latest reply on Dec 31, 2009 9:27 AM by Chuck A. McIntyre

Why is 24GB or RAM so much more then 12GB ?

Powered by Design Level 4

I understand that it is double the size but man is it way more expensive.

It seems like anyone here that has built a core i7 has gone the 12GB route but im sure would like to max out the motherboard at 24GB

You hear people say that RAM is cheap but not 24GB.

Need 2 sets of these to make 24GB.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=2010170147%201052346982&name=1 2GB%20%283%20x%204GB%29

Just curious:  Glenn

• 1. Re: Why is 24GB or RAM so much more then 12GB ?
          Harm Millaard Level 7

DDR3 has taken quite some time to get produced in 2 GB sticks and they were initially much more expensive than DDR2 sticks. Now that the i7 has gained a firm foothold one sees the price of 2 GB DDR3 sticks dropping rapidly, but where people were coming from 4 GB machines or even less, 12 GB memory seemed more than enough for the future, so there was hardly any demand for the latest sticks in 4 G sizes. For video editors and the upcoming 64 bit CS5 applications, one may see some more interest in 4 GB sticks, more manufacturers to enter that specific market and dropping prices as a consequence of increased competition in that smallish market, but I think it will be only by next year that the sizable premium on 4 G sticks will diminish somewhat. As always, being at the leading edge of technology carries a hefty price-tag.

Now with TESLA around the corner and the C2070 co-processor which carries 6 GB of its own memory, and is not an SLI solution (which is initially not supported in CS5, according to Dennis), support for this co-processor may alleviate the memory requirements for more than 12 GB.

Price erosion only happens when more manufactures get into the game and demand rises, leading to more competition. Just remember what happened with the prices of DVD or BRD players, plasma or LCD flat screens, etc. So, give it some time...

• 2. Re: Why is 24GB or RAM so much more then 12GB ?
            Powered by Design Level 4

Those TESLA cards look nice but from the site I was on it was 3999 for the 6GB model.

http://www.brightsideofnews.com/news/2009/11/17/nvidia-nv100-fermi-is-less-powerful-than-g eforce-gtx-285.aspx

How would you use the TESLA ?

Since its not SLI do you just plug it in and the computer uses it ?

I do remember when Plasma TV's were allot more expensive so I hope the RAM price goes down fast also.

• 3. Re: Why is 24GB or RAM so much more then 12GB ?
              Harm Millaard Level 7

Glenn,

Much of the info on the TESLA is still unclear, but it is touted as a co-processor to the graphics card. If you take the 8086 chip eons ago and compare it to the 8087 co-processor, it seems logical to assume it will take over - in 8086-8087 terms - the floating point operations, giving it a 40+ times speed advantage over a single 8086. The indicated price is a sure way to shy potential customers off. I hadn't seen those figures yet.

To sum it up: We are all eagerly awaiting more details on the upcoming MPE features of CS5...

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Why is 24GB or RAM so much more then 12GB ?