Actually, I -- sort of -- figured it out. I tried completely retyping, rather than copying and pasting from Word, the last paragraph in the topic. Everything worked fine when I did that. I can't figure out what was coming in from Word that caused RoboHelp to hang. The HTML created from the copy and paste looked perfectly fine. (There were no embedded graphics, tables, etc. in the copy and paste.) There were no extraneous characters in the resulting HTML at all. That really worries me because we need to create a lot of material from existing Word documents. Copy and paste works best for us when doing that for lots of reasons. (Importing creates more problems than its worth.) I hate to think of having to retype everything.
That doesn't quite prove it was Word as you said you
pasted a couple of paragraphs into it from a Word document, inserted a couple of graphics, and did a little formatting
Try just pasting and then working on another topic. If it all works OK, do some formatting. Finally insert those graphics, I have a hunch they might be the problem. How are you inserting them?
See www.grainge.org for RoboHelp and Authoring tips
Follow me @petergrainge
MS word uses some hidden characters at the end of lines to define styles. It seems likely that your cut and pasts is causeing your issues. RH is a bit sensitive to weird characters. I have seen this with my searches in the AIR version.
If you can save the word docs as text, then the cut and paste will not have any weird characters in the file. You will of course loose formatting and depending on the type of docs, they may not look real pretty as simple text, but at least that willl save you lots of key strokes.
I'm not copying and pasting the graphics at all. I'm doing a standard Insert > Image from the menu in RoboHelp. (That's one of many reasons I won't do an import from Word. I'd have to go back and rename every single graphic to something meaningful.) I am strictly copying and pasting text. The graphics worked just fine when I inserted them after retyping the text.
The problem is that the whole thing appears very erratic. In that same topic, after I retyped two of the paragraphs, I was able to copy and paste other paragrpahs with no problem.
One thing that occurred to me, though. Can RoboHelp handle Unicode characters? The paragraph in question happened to have an n with a tilde over it and an a with an accent. The whole mechanics of RoboHelp seems to be lodged quite firmly in technology that is at least a decade old. I would be horrified if something in its price range in contemporary America couldn't handle those characters, but then, it is pretty antiquated. However, for those of us in the border States, those kinds of characters are part of everyday life. For over 15 years now, Dreamweaver has been able to handle Unicode.
I copy and paste from Word to RoboHelp all the time and never see issues. However, I add a step in there that you likely don't have.
- Copy text from Word
- Paste into Notepad
- Copy text from Notepad
- Paste into RoboHelp
The extra steps of pasting into Notepad and copying again serve the purpose of removing any of the hidden garbage Word adds.
Helpful and Handy Links