13 Replies Latest reply on Jan 2, 2010 12:28 PM by JETalmage

Bind Text To Path

myjkem2 Level 1

I can't find it in the help file.

I have a curved line and want to make a line of text flow

over the outside edge.

I Freehand it's called bind text to path.

Please tell me where it is in Illustrator.

• 1. Re: Bind Text To Path
          John Danek Level 4

In the Text tool palette, look for the icon that has a "T" on a path.  You should probably dupe the path before applying the text, otherwise you lose the path in the operation.  Just select the icon in the text tool palette, click on the path ( you'll notice a curser where your input is ) and type away.

• 2. Re: Bind Text To Path
            myjkem2 Level 1

If I'm understanding you correctly you saying

Duplicate the path (the line I want to attach text to) and then type

on the duplicated line. When I click off of that the line disappears.

Then move the typed text on top of the original line.

Is that right.

Thanks in advance

Bruce

• 3. Re: Bind Text To Path
              Jacob Bugge MVP & Adobe Community Professional

Bruce,

John means that you may keep a copy of the original path (hidden or locked). The Type will be linked to the selectable hidden/locked path which will be invisible unless you select the Type on Path.

• 4. Re: Bind Text To Path
                myjkem2 Level 1

I don't understand what you mean (I'm new to Illustrator).

When I chose the path to type on and the typing icon for typing on

a path and I typed on a the path it looked ok until I clicked off it.

The curved text was there but the path I chose to type on disappeared.

• 5. Re: Bind Text To Path
                  John Danek Level 4

Right.  In my case, your text could be "following" the original path.  If you don't mind losing the path because it has served its purpose, then you would not need to duplicate it before the text operation.

• 6. Re: Bind Text To Path
                    Jacob Bugge MVP & Adobe Community Professional

Bruce,

When I chose the path to type on and the typing icon for typing on

a path and I typed on a the path it looked ok until I clicked off it.

That is the expected behaviour. When you select the Type on Path (you may drag over it with the Selection Tool), you will see the (spine of the) path which is now only the basis for the Type. If you wish to have the path shown, you may:

1) Select the path with the Direct Selection Tool (make sure to stay clear of the type);

2) Ctrl+C+B or Ctrl+C+F (Cmd+C+B or Cmd+C+F on a Mac) to copy the path below or above the type and give it a Stroke (bottom of the Toolbox or Stroke palette/panel).

• 7. Re: Bind Text To Path
                      myjkem2 Level 1

I a drawing a curved road on a map and want to

keep the curved path (road). I am trying curve the

street name (text) along the curved road.

Is there a way to type directly on the curved path (road)

without it disappearing when I click off it when I'm done typing.

• 8. Re: Bind Text To Path
                        John Danek Level 4

That's why I recommended you copy the original path.  If you don't, you will ose it when you apply the "Text-On-A-Path" operation.  With a copy, you'll always have the original, should you decide to use it later on.

• 9. Re: Bind Text To Path
                          John Danek Level 4

Our rplies are a little out of sync.  I'm saying, dupe the path before you do the text.  That way, you do not lose the original, which is part of your road.  Unfortunately, when you apply the text to the path ( as mentioned a few times already ), you lose the path.

• 10. Re: Bind Text To Path
                            myjkem2 Level 1

Are you saying that after I type on the copied path and the path disappears

to just move the type and place it where I want it on the original path.

• 11. Re: Bind Text To Path
                              John Danek Level 4

Yes.  There are other ways of doing it, but it may become confusing to you.  Look into "Object > Paths > Offset Path when you have the chance.  But, yes, you can place the text on the road manually.

• 12. Re: Bind Text To Path
                                Wade_Zimmerman Level 6

Show them a screen shot of what you want some of them are not familiar with FH so you maybe talking two different languages.

• 13. Re: Bind Text To Path
                                  JETalmage Level 6

There is no need to duplicate the path.

That is the expected behaviour.

I dare say it's "expected behavior" only to someone who has accustomed themselves to the backwardness of Illustrator. It is obviously not expected behavior to newcomers to AI--even those well acquainted with other drawing programs. It's the same nonsensical behavior as when applying clipping paths, certain Pathfinder operations, etc.

Like many contrasts between FreeHand and Illustrator, you can do the same thing, but with far too much needless tedium. Just plain poor, counter-productive, unintuitive, scattered, cluttered interface design.

JET