6 Replies Latest reply on Jan 5, 2010 12:18 PM by mtechman

codecs for a Novice

mtechman Level 1

Since I read Harms favorite tools post last nite I have been reading more about codecs

on the forum and have some questions.

I have a older mini-dvd camera that creates VOB/VRO files. I can use Gspot to find out which codec the camera uses.

Now how do I use that information to bring my files into Premier such that I can edit them and create the best possible looking DVD?

After reading some posts I think I should be creating an AVI using some codec so that all I all frames are not referenceing an I frame in the Mpeg

and importing that into PP.

Did I get that right?

• 1. Re: codecs for a Novice
          dradeke Adobe Employee

For editing .VOB's you can do that directly within in CS4.1 or above.  Generally, you want to avoid converting from one codec to another, but sometimes it can't be avoided.

Dennis

• 2. Re: codecs for a Novice
            Harm Millaard Level 7

Sometimes, when you are using CS3 and not CS4 4.1+, you can get by with renaming the VOB file to MPEG. This only works if the camera uses PCM/WAV 48 KHz stereo. If it uses AC3 compression, you need to demux video and audio and convert the audio to PCM/WAV. http://www.doom9.org/ can give you some useful tools.

• 3. Re: codecs for a Novice
              the_wine_snob Level 9

This ARTICLE will give you more background on VOB files.

This ARTICLE will give you a bit of background on CODEC's.

Hope that those help get you up to speed.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 4. Re: codecs for a Novice
                mtechman Level 1

I have read all these areticle several time.

So it seem I need to convert my VOB/VRO (mpeg2) files to avi then edit them in Premier.

I suppose the same can go for *.mts files unless one have cs4.

So good codec for avi is lagarith (from Harms email) then I need a tools that can read VRO (thats what my current camers uses until I get a new HD camera).

I am not sure if stream clip allows you to pick a codec, but the avs video converter does and its not that expensive.

I got that to work with the lagarith codec.

Has anyone used that?

Any other softeware to read  *.VRO and can use various codec plugins?

• 5. Re: codecs for a Novice
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

Unfortunately, I have not run across .VOR containers, so have no direct advice.

The Lagarith Lossless CODEC is a good one, and I use that for transfer from PrPro to other processing programs.

Sorry that I do not have more info for you, but I'm sure that others will be able to offer much more help.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 6. Re: codecs for a Novice
                    mtechman Level 1

I was able to get the lagarith codec to run from the AVSVideoConverter and Nero Vision.

Neros Vision has some issues with it because I cant set the resolution to 720x480.

AVS seems to work better, but it seems to get the interlaced field dominance backwards, mine is upper field first

and I think the created avi file has lower field first because the fast motion is jerky.

Shouldnt I be able to set field dominance and resolutions?

Also the resulting file is 2.4gig while the VRO (mpeg file) is only 346k,

does this seem about right?

When Premier reads in a mpeg file doesnt it have to do essentially the same thing

I am doing ie; creating uncompressed frames for better editing?

So why not just let Premier do it?

Dont all these same issues exist with AVCHD format since it is even more highly compressed

than MPEG2?