5 Replies Latest reply on Jan 1, 2010 4:24 PM by the_wine_snob

ADOBE PRIEMERE ELEMENTS QUITS UNEXPECTEDLY ALL THE TIME!?

Cris man lan

Ok I have a Latitude D 530 Laptop with Adobe Priemere Elements 8 (Also Windows 7). It

crashes all the time. Sometimes when I try to insert footage. Sometimes when I try

to edit or add an effect. It laggs up and then quits with this error message.

• 1. Re: ADOBE PRIEMERE ELEMENTS QUITS UNEXPECTEDLY ALL THE TIME!?
          John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

This is aimed at Premiere Pro, but may help

A link with many ideas about computer setup http://forums.adobe.com/thread/436215?tstart=0

Many of the ideas at the next link are generic enough they have helped some Non-Premiere users fix problems

Work through all of the steps (ideas) listed at http://ppro.wikia.com/wiki/Troubleshooting

If your problem isn't fixed after you follow all of the steps, report back with the DETAILS asked for in the questions at the end of the troubleshooting link

• 2. Re: ADOBE PRIEMERE ELEMENTS QUITS UNEXPECTEDLY ALL THE TIME!?
            Birchbus

I also have had many issues with PrE8 crashing constantly.  After following the FAQs and help in this forum, I've finally arrived at a system that crashes much less frequently...but still doesn't last long enough to actually produce video.

That said, my final solution has been working flawlessly.  Using the same exact video clips and codecs as with PrE8, Corel VideoStudio Pro X2 has produced excellent video...quickly...and without a single crash.  That's not the solution many would like to hear, but it is now mine...and it works.

Some alternative things to be keenly aware of:

- PrE8 seems excessively picky about the input video formats (foolish for a day with so many sources)

- PrE8 seems to be the only app that crashes randomly if you have an NVIDIA video card without the latest beta drivers

- PrE8 uses memory like crazy (much more than other tools...like Corel VideoStudio Pro X2), so if your laptop has less than 4GB...might rethink getting more ram or a better written tool

I'm sure it sounds like I just hate PrE, but that's true only of version 8.  It has been a historically useful tool, and I'm just sad to see it go...

Sam

• 3. Re: ADOBE PRIEMERE ELEMENTS QUITS UNEXPECTEDLY ALL THE TIME!?
              the_wine_snob Level 9
              PrE8 seems excessively picky about the input video formats (foolish for a day with so many sources)

Well, not really foolish. With new CODEC's and variations on older ones, coming out every month, decisions must be made to define what works best for an editing program. In the case of Adobe, the options were chosen to focus on DV-AVI Type II (the standard of SD video), HDV (the standard of HD video) and AVCHD (an emerging standard for consumer HD video, but requiring a very powerful computer). The answer for a consumer is to convert their footage to one of those standards.

One should also be aware that the vast majority of CODEC's are not designed to be edited to being with. They are delivery-only formats and even if they can be edited, the results will be low quality. There is no way around this. It is a choice that too many camera mfgrs. make, assuming that their customers will only view, or directly upload to YouTube, or similar, and never try to edit this material.

It is first incumbent on the consumer to know what format/CODEC their camera is using, and then either find an NLE that will work best with that, or convert that footage to work with the NLE of their choice. Some NLE's handle certain formats/CODEC's, than do others. I have six NLE's, and five of those are used as "tools," to get all sorts of odd footage into my NLE of choice, PrPro. I also have several conversion programs, that are not NLE's. Again, my goal is to get the odd footage into a form that will work perfectly (except for that lower quality, but I cannot do anything about that) in PrPro.

I am waiting for some new CODEC's to hit the consumer market about now, that will create even more problems.

To me, the "crime" is that camera mfgrs. do not go into detail on what the created footage is, how to edit it, and then that they do not provide their version of the CODEC to allow for smooth editing. No NLE can anticipate what will become "hot" any quarter. The camera mfgrs. know what their product produces, but they choose to not inform the buyer, nor do they make it easy for their buyer to edit the resultant footage. That is where one's venom should be directed. Unfortunately, even the majority of reviewers do not concentrate on the editability of the resultant footage. Most either do not know about editing, or they choose to ignore that aspect. The poor consumer is stuck with delivery-only footage, and a boatload of NLE's, that cannot handle it.

To all, who are having problems with the various delivery-only CODEC's - find an NLE that will handle it, and use that one. Some are better with some footage, than are others. Go with what works for you, regardless of which software company offers it.

Even the industry standard image editing program, Adobe Photoshop, is particular about how the image data header is written, especially with JPEG images. I often get failures to open/parse some JPEG files in PS. However, Ulead PhotoImpact, IrfanView and ThumbsPlus will open those poorly written JPEG files fine. I just do a Save from those, and get a properly written JPEG, to edit in PS. Those other programs are cheap, or even free, and PS is not cheap, nor is it free. It is just particular, that's all.

Just my observations,

Hunt

• 4. Re: ADOBE PRIEMERE ELEMENTS QUITS UNEXPECTEDLY ALL THE TIME!?
                Birchbus Level 1

the_wine_snob wrote:

PrE8 seems excessively picky about the input video formats (foolish for a day with so many sources)

Well, not really foolish.  <...snipped>

Those other programs are cheap, or even free, and PS is not cheap, nor is it free. It is just particular, that's all.

Just my observations,

Hunt

You have a good point, but PrE8 should refuse to open them...not continually crash trying to use them...if they are that picky.

Can you recommend a good batching utility that I could convert 10s or 100s of MJPEG (or any known format) clips to DV?  Typically I dislike such conversions, since they consume time, disk space, and quality...but I would like to know where to turn if I need to.

Thanks.

Sam

• 5. Re: ADOBE PRIEMERE ELEMENTS QUITS UNEXPECTEDLY ALL THE TIME!?
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

Sam,

I use a program, DigitalMedia Converter. It's not freeware, but I liked it so much that I bought a copy for each of my computers. It offers a batch mode, and I have loaded it with different files (so long as the end product is the same), started it and forgotten about it, until it's completed the task. It is fast, but both your system and the Duration of the files to be converted, will dictate the speed. I have not updated to their new "Pro" version, though I have my upgrade certificate.

Others recommend the freeware conversion utility, Prism, but I have never used it, so cannot comment.

You have a good point, but PrE8 should refuse to open them...not continually crash trying to use them...if they are that picky.

Usually, one gets either a failure to Import the Asset (usually with an error message about file format, or missing CODEC), or will, but then not be able to play the Video, or the Audio or both. I am not acquainted with these files causing a crash. That is not "normal" behavior.

Good luck,

Hunt