Audio problem in Preview

George g8fgsfdg8 Level 1

Premier Pro 1.5

1H 52Min finished SD video

All video content SD DV 720 X 480, 29.97, 48k 16 bit audio

Many music tracks along  with native audio from the clips

Exported timeline as AVI within Premier and inputed to Encore

Trancoded to MPEG-2 using 2 pass VBR 4MB, high quality, DD audio

Everything went great all the way to the finished DVD, menus good, video looks good and the audio/music all sounded good. Everything looked and sounded good in Encore Preview. Then I went in and made a few small changes in PP (clip speed changes, titles spelling, additional transisitions). The PP timeline played well, the exported AVI played well, the imported AVI played well in Encore. The transcoded AVI however has 2 audio segments where there is just a hum and no audio when using the Preview function in Encore. This was not the case in the previous rev. I made so few changed and went through the same workflow so I can't figure out why now I have a few selected corrupted audio segments in preview. I went and burned a DVD to check and those audio segments are OK in the finished product. Any ideas?

BTW, what is the difference between choosing Microsoft AVI and Microsoft DV AVI as the file type for the PP export>movie>settings>general function to create the single AVI for import to Encore? I have been using Microsoft DV AVI with the DV (NTSC) compressor.

Thanks,

George

• 1. Re: Audio problem in Preview
          dradeke Adobe Employee

George, I'm a few versions removed from Premiere Pro 1.5 but I guess I would just ask why are you converting to a single AVI and THEN to MPEG2 for DVD encoding?  Why wouldn't you convert to Encore compatible MPEG2 at the outset?

Dennis

• 2. Re: Audio problem in Preview
            the_wine_snob Level 9

George,

When replacing Assets in Encore, especially if those Assets have been previously Transcoded, Encore can get confused. Not sure what version of Encore you have, but I would Clean the Media Cache in Encore, and then use the Replace Assets function in Encore's Project Panel.

My guess would be that Encore is trying to use the previously Transcoded Media Cache files, and things are not going well.

Good luck,

Hunt

PS - The DV-AVI is the format/CODEC (DV CODEC), that you want. MS AVI can have many different compressions, using different CODEC's. For a DVD-Video, nothing is better than DV-AVI Type II.

PPS - are your Exported (from PrPro) muxed, Audio & Video. Sometimes, Encore does not do as well with muxed AV files, as it does with elemental/elementary streams, i.e. one Video-only stream in DV-AVI Type II, and one Audio-only stream in PCM/WAV, or fully DVD-compliant AC3. That is the process that I use, leaving Multiplexing (muxing) OFF. I then Import the DV-AVI Video-only file as a Timeline, and the PCM/WAV, or AC3, as an Asset. Then, I drag the Audio to the appropriate Timeline, where it snaps into place.

• 3. Re: Audio problem in Preview
              George g8fgsfdg8 Level 1

Dennis

Converting to a single DV AVI file first has been my workflow for years because I keep that file as my editable archive of the finished project. Do you see any advantages in coverting the timeline directly to MPEG-2 for Encore and taking care of the DV AVI later?

Thanks,

George

• 4. Re: Audio problem in Preview
                George g8fgsfdg8 Level 1

Hunt

I am using Encore and PP 1.5. I cannot find a Clear Media Cache function, can you help? This is the only direction I could find, is this what you had in mind?:

Solution:
                1. Close all programs.
                2. Run Regedit.
                3. Go to HKEY_CURRENT_USER -> Software -> Adobe -> Common.
                4. Delete "Media Cache".
                5. Restart computer.

When I generate changes in the project in the PP timeline, I generate a new DV AVI with a new name. Then in Encore I delete the old transcoded AVI and associated timeline, import the new renamed DV AVI as a timeline asset, and transcode. Are you saying that I should leave the old assets in the project list and replace the transcoded AVI with the new DV AVI?

Is another solution to start a new Encore project and introduce the assets again?

In some of my other NLE apps (and possibly in older Premier versions) I have seen the choice between DV AVI type I and II and/or elemental vs muxed audio but I do not see those choices anywhere in PP 1.5.

BTW, I am not sure why but I have been using my workflow as stated above through about 5 revisions without issue, then this problem. Interestingly it appears to only be a preview problem because the DVD burn went OK (I have not watched the whole thing yet to check for problems). I can get to the answer but the preview function is now no longer useful before potentially burning a coaster.

Thanks,

George

• 5. Re: Audio problem in Preview
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

In EncoreDVD 2.0, one does the Media Cache maintenance from Edit>Preferences>Audio/Video Out (bottom of the dialog box).

As for when to do the Transcoding to MPEG-2 in PrPro, one would do that when they bit-budget and want to Transcode, say Sequences at precise bit-rates for the highest quality. A bit-rate calculator will be necessary here. Otherwise, Importing the DV-AVI Type II into Encore and either adjusting the Transcode settings there, or using the Automatic setting will suffice.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 6. Re: Audio problem in Preview
                    George g8fgsfdg8 Level 1

An update.

If I play the trancoded timeline in Encore 1.5 from the beginning or starting mid chapter, no problem. If I use preview and select a chapter from the menu or if I use the chapter forward/backward selection during a timeline playback, the audio is either missing or is a loud hum on 2 of 5 chapters. I moved the chapter markers (which were originally generated in PP) on the 2 problem ones and that fixes the problem.

George

• 7. Re: Audio problem in Preview
                      the_wine_snob Level 9

George,

Just to make sure that I am not missing something, you have good Audio in PrPro. You Export and still have good Audio, when you test. You Import to Encore, and in Preview the Audio goes bad. Is that correct?

What format are the Audio Assets? Are you Exporting/Importing muxed MPEG-2 files for Encore? If so, try with elemental/elementary streams, i.e. one Video-only file and one Audio-only file (I'd choose PCM/WAV @ 48KHz 16-bit for this test), and Preview again in Encore.

Good luck, and let us know how this goes, or where I missed the workflow.

Hunt

• 8. Re: Audio problem in Preview
                        George g8fgsfdg8 Level 1

Hunt

I have good audio in PP.

I export as a DV AVI from the PP1.5 timeline with DV NTSC compression. I cannot find any settings for type I vs II or elemental vs muxed audio/video streams. I can find it in other NLE apps but not this one. I believe that I used to have that option in PP 6.0 and/or 6.5. A RC>properties on the final AVI does not say either but the video/audio is listed as Interleaved 1:1.00 and the type as AVI Movie.

I have good audio in the Encore timeline after importing the DV AVI as a timeline asset.

After I transcode and finish the menu I get hosed audio if I either jump to those 2 chapters from the main menu or tab forward to those chapters on the timeline in Encore. If I play through those chapter points, no problem. If a change the chapter points in the Encore timeline a few frames then everything works OK (the chapter points were set in PP with text in the comment field).

In the PP DV AVI export, the audio is uncompressed, 48K, 16 bit, stereo

In the Encore MPEG-2 transcode ther audio is DD.

George

• 9. Re: Audio problem in Preview
                          the_wine_snob Level 9

OK, you are using muxed DV-AVI (it will be Type II from PrPro).

Now, not sure of these exact settings in PrPro 1.5, but in 2.0, you can use File>Export>Movie, and there check just Video, so muxing will be None. Then you can repeat with just Audio checked and set just as you have, Uncompressed WAV 48KHz 16-bit. I would think that PrPro 1.5 is similar.

I'd definitely give the non-muxed streams a test run. I know that EncoreDVD 2.0 does get sick with some muxed files. Normally, it's fine, but then with some...

It still is odd that you are getting an Audio issue with just two chapters.

Please tell us how your Encore Project is laid out. The number of Timelines, how they are populated, etc.

Also, I'd give some thought to also posting to the Encore Forum, as there are some folk there, who do not drop by here. See you there.

Good luck, and I am still thinking about this.

Hunt

• 10. Re: Audio problem in Preview
                            dradeke Adobe Employee

George g8fgsfdg8 wrote:

Dennis

Converting to a single DV AVI file first has been my workflow for years because I keep that file as my editable archive of the finished project. Do you see any advantages in coverting the timeline directly to MPEG-2 for Encore and taking care of the DV AVI later?

Thanks,

George

Well, any time you can avoid a conversion is a good thing, but I see the idea behind an archive version.  My main thrust is to determine what the problem is and if you convert it to MPEG2 (with PCM wav as audio) I wonder if it might correct the problem.

Dennis

• 11. Re: Audio problem in Preview
                              George g8fgsfdg8 Level 1

Dennis

To make sure that I am clear, you are suggesting to transcode and export an MPEG-2/PCM WAV file directly from the PP timeline and import that file as a timeline asset into Encore. If I want an AVI archive, do that from the PP timeline after the fact outside of the DVD creation workflow. Is that correct?.

BTW, I use 2 pass, VBR 2/4/9 with quality as high (5.0).

Thanks,

George

• 12. Re: Audio problem in Preview
                                dradeke Adobe Employee

That's correct George. ;-)