8 Replies Latest reply on Jan 2, 2010 12:15 PM by Kona Bob

Disappearing Adobe Icons

Kona Bob Level 2

This is more cosmetic than functional, but annoying nonetheless.

All of the CS4 shortcuts are on my Win Vista desktop & all display the appropriate Adobe product icon. Suddenly now, the Premiere Pro and Encore icons are gone, leaving in their place the white generic Windows shortcut icons. Producing new shortcuts from the Programs list doesn't correct it (the correct icon is present until the shortcut is dragged to the desktop).

The shortcuts work, but I'd like to get the icons back.

Any ideas?

• 1. Re: Disappearing Adobe Icons
          Level 4

Hi

I was having trouble like that a week ago. I did a search on the internet and found a link to a ms windows solution (on microsoft site). It has to do with putting a value in the registry, and I can't remember the key and so on right off ...  but if you do a search you'll probably find it.

I will do that now too...see if I can get it for you.

Rod

• 2. Re: Disappearing Adobe Icons
            Level 4

Hi

http://www.pc1news.com/modify-the-icon-cache-size-57.html

I made my value 1000 and haven't had any probs since.

There is also an icon.db file (icon database) that some people on internet claim can be emptied to help problems with icons ...essentially you delete the icon.db file and it rebuilds when you reboot the computer.  I didn't have to do that, and favor changing the registry value (or adding that key if it doesn't exist, and the value) first.

Good luck

Rod

• 3. Re: Disappearing Adobe Icons
              Kona Bob Level 2

Rod

Thanks for the research, but I've searched the registery and there is no "max icon cache" key in my version of Vista 64 SP2.

I tried deleting the icon.db file & rebooting several times, but didn't help.

Maybe the missing key is the problem, but I'm not sure what to do about that.

• 4. Re: Disappearing Adobe Icons
                Level 4

Hi

I use XP, so I haven't got the ability to check to see what exactly you might have with VISTA....

The link above gives you the key name and value if you know how to use the registry.

This information below is for  XP and VISTA users:

The TweakUI is a powertool program for XP...

the TortoisSVN reference is for a similar TweakUI program for Vista users...Go to their website , the tortoisesvn site, to get the free tweak program.

Be judicial and don't use the Tweak program A LOT......Don't be frivolous with it, like if you dont know for certain what changes you are making don't do it !  I would use it and then uninstall it right away. The less running on your computer as a shell , the better.

Or change the registry using the values the link in the previous message gave you.  Go to the exact location indicated, add the key and the key value as shown.  Back up the registry first, which you should do whenever you enter the registry to change anything.  Save it in a folder you can easily get to later if you need to....  Like create a folder on your C: drive called  TEMP  or REGISTRY BACKUP....

That way if you have to boot in safe mode you can get to it easy.

Good luck

Rod

-------------

The Windows icon cache is a fairly buggy creature. You can solve this in one of the following ways:

• Install Microsoft's TweakUI and run the option to rebuild icons.
                • Or increase the icon cache size. Go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\\Software\\Microsoft\\Windows\\CurrentVersion\\Explorer and add a new String Value called Max Cached Icons. The default value is 500 - try increasing it to 2048 (see Q132668 in the Microsoft knowledge base for more details).
                • Or delete the file called ShellIconCache in your Windows directory. And reboot.
                • With TortoiseSVN 1.3.0 and later, you can also rebuild the icon cache by calling TortoiseProc from the command line like this TortoiseProc.exe /command:rebuildiconcache

-------------------------------

1 person found this helpful
                • 5. Re: Disappearing Adobe Icons
                  Kona Bob Level 2

I added the registry string for Max Cached Icons. That made no difference.

Changing the display color setting to 16 bit did restore the 2 Adobe icons, but changing back to 32 bit removed them again.

The newer TweakUI for Vista doesn't seem to have an option for "rebuild icons", so no help there.

A search for ShellIconCache file comes up negative.

Interestingly, if I right click either icon, click properties, and "change icon", I can select a different Adobe icon and it shows up fine. If I then reselect the original icon, it does not show.

Very odd.

One other thing I'll try is to power the computer down & unplug it for 5-10 min, then reboot. The odds are low, but I have had that solve an occasional wierd problem.

• 6. Re: Disappearing Adobe Icons
                    Level 4

Hmmmm, well, here is some information I've been looking for ....and it applies to both xp and vista (see bottom of page for vista and that tweak program)

http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows/customizing-your-icons-in-windows-xp/

This article is great and goes through every option available, except the registry thing, and that is left to the tweak thing on bottom of page.

What I did was the registry and also the "change icon" option in the folder.  I suppose you already right clicked on the shortcut icon on your desktop and tried changing icon that way...

At any rate, this link has everything that I know of to fix the issue.  I sure hope you fix it and post mssg how you did it...

Rod

• 7. Re: Disappearing Adobe Icons
                      Level 4

heh, and just to cover again what you tried , and have it typed out for reference here is some stuff from PC magazine and another place...

Good Luck !  Rod

from pc magazine for xp

If your desktop items display the wrong icons or no icons at all, enlarging and refreshing the icon cache should help. The easiest way is to download Microsoft's free (but unsupported) TweakUI PowerToy; there is a tool specifically for repairing desktop icons. See "Something for Nothing."

To do this manually, go to Start | Run and enter Regedit to launch the Registry Editor. Navigate to the key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer. In the right-hand pane, find or create the DWORD value MaxCachedIcons.To enlarge the cache size, double-click on this value and change it to 4096 in decimal. If the problem recurs, try an even larger value.

Next, you must force Win XP to reread all the cached icons. Right-click on the desktop, choose Properties, click on the Appearance tab in the dialog box that pops up, and click on the Advanced button on that tab. Select Icon in the Item list and increase the Size setting by 1 pixel (this will normally be from 32 to 33). Click on OK to dismiss the Advanced Appearance dialog, then click on the Apply button. The desktop will fade and then return back to normal. Now click on the Advanced button again, change the icon size back to what it was, click on OK, and click on OK again.

For Vista from "my digital life"

Fix Blank or White Shortcut Icons on Desktop

Once in a while, the shortcut icons on the Windows desktop may suddenly been changed or became blank or ‘white paper’ icon, where supposedly the icons should be colorful and customized in style and color. It’s as if the icon for the shortcut has been removed or unassigned, and been replaced with default blank icon in white.

The bug happens whenever there is corruption in icon cache database. For example, in Windows 7 pre-RC release, a network connection
                      or broadband connection shortcut’s icon placed on desktop by user manually will go haywire and turn into blank default icon if there is another third-party program places an icon on desktop later.

In order to fix the problem where shortcut icons turn to blank icon, try to refresh or rebuild the cache database for icons. There are many system management software utilities that may reset the icon cache db automatically, but here’s how to reset the icon cache db manually.

To refresh and reset the icons cache, go to the following folder:

C:\Users\\AppData\Local\

To see the hidden AppData folder, go to Organize -> Folder and Search Options -> View tab, and select Show hidden files, folders and drives, and uncheck Hide protected operating system files (Recommended).

Once inside the folder, delete IconCache.db. Create a new file named IconCache.db, and set it to Read Only attribute in Properties (if the file is not read only, the cache won’t be reset). Then restart the computer. Remove the Read Only attribute of IconCache.db file, and the icons cache will be refreshed. The step will restore the desktop shortcut icons to their lawfully icons.

1 person found this helpful
                      • 8. Re: Disappearing Adobe Icons
                        Kona Bob Level 2

Great info.

Good trick re the IconCache.db file, to force it to refresh.

Last night I right clicked the 2 Adobe shortcut icons, went to "change icon", switched the icons out & the new ones displayed properly.

This am. after booting up from power off state, I found that I could "change icon" back to the originals & finally they are as they should be.

Interesting journey. I definitely learned a lot about this rather obscure topic.

Thanks for all of your help Rod, and Happy New Year!