22 Replies Latest reply on Jan 1, 2010 3:14 PM by Harm Millaard

Premiere Output /Export Problem

Stefan Hallberg Level 1

After having captured some footage on a low end Samsung consumer camcorder or even “palmcorder” I imported it to Premiere Pro CS4.  The footage came in squashed = everything looked too narrow.  After right clicking on each imported file and going to “Interpret Footage” and setting it to “Confirm To” D1/DV NTSC Widescreen 19:9 (1.2121) everything looked right with proper proportions.  I believe the footage was captured in Widescreen mode.  I was able to do the edit and get all the footage combined into a final piece.

However, when attempting to output, export it to a Quick Time movie, the end result again look squashed as it did before applying the “Interpret Footage” described above.  Any help in how I can export the footage and make it look like it does in Premiere in the sequence window is much appreciated.

Having done corporate video as a Director as well as being involved in making movies as an Art Director and much other multi-media productions, please know that I am an extreme novice as far as actually executing and editing in Premiere Pro CS 4, this is my first Premiere Pro CS4 hands on experience.

• 1. Re: Premiere Output /Export Problem
          Harm Millaard Level 7

How did you capture with what seqence settings? It that Samsung a real 16x9 format or just a cropped 4x3 image?

• 2. Re: Premiere Output /Export Problem
            Stefan Hallberg Level 1

I really don't know. The camera was handed to me just before I needed to film this meeting and I didn't have time to explore the settings.  A camera like this does not have much user input capabilities anyway.  I do think that one of the settings was "Widescreen" though.  As far as being a true 16:9 or a cropped 4x3, I don't know.

here is the spec. page for the camera:

http://www.samsung.com/us/consumer/photography/camcorders/standard-definition/SMX-C10RN/XA A/index.idx?pagetype=prd_detail&tab=spec

The thing is that if I am able to make the footage look good in Premiere CS4, I whould be able to export it that way.  It is obvioulsty more to it than that and any input and help is appreicated.

• 3. Re: Premiere Output /Export Problem
              Eric Addison User Group Manager

Are you on a Windows machine? If so, then the problem may be with Quicktime. I've noticed that the Quicktime player for Windows doesn't always get the aspect ratio right. What I would do is re-export the clip but for pixel aspect ratio use 1.0 instead of widescreen (1.21), and then adjust the resoultion numbers until you get the right aspect ratio and size for your video. Make sure you use the output window so you can see what you're doing...if it's standard def DV, I think 846x480 might just work - but it's early New Years day so don't hold me to that resoution...

• 4. Re: Premiere Output /Export Problem
                Stefan Hallberg Level 1

I am using Premiere Pro CS 4 on a MAC Pro tower

• 5. Re: Premiere Output /Export Problem

Well, I'd give my solution a shot...can't hurt.

• 6. Re: Premiere Output /Export Problem
                    Harm Millaard Level 7

Stefan,

Although the spec page you linked to is pretty limited, I would copy the contents of the SD card, including the whole directory structure to your hard disk. I would then import that complete directory into Premiere Pro (PR) in a 4x3 sequence. If that looks OK (apart from top and bottom black borders) you know that it is a cropped 4x3 image. Next try the same, but now in a 16x9 sequence and if that look OK, you know it is a true 16x9 image.

You may run into some problems, because of the recording codec, H.264. It may require conversion to MS DV AVI type2 before import and you have to use Google to find a suitable converter.

Always make sure that your sequence settings exactly match what the camera recorded or what you converted it to.

• 7. Re: Premiere Output /Export Problem
                      Stefan Hallberg Level 1

Thanks Harm,

It makes sense to “make sure that your sequence settings exactly match what the camera recorded or what you converted it to.”  I knew that but the camera was taken away and gone without me being bale to confirm the settings.  I copied all the files from the CF card to my HD and they copied as QT files with Squashed too narrow proportions right from the card, and then the CF card was reformatted so what I have now is what I have to work with and there is no going back.

• 8. Re: Premiere Output /Export Problem
                        Stefan Hallberg Level 1

This is how I export:

File > Export > Export Media.  The preview in the export window looks perfect with 16:9 aspect ratio and the proportions looking right.  At the bottom below the preview footage it reads: Source: 720 w 480 h and Output 720 w 480 h.  Under “Export Settings” in the right panel the “preset” is NTCS Widescreen. Video Codec: DV/DVCPRO – NTCS. Attached is a screen shot of the panel

• 9. Re: Premiere Output /Export Problem
                          Harm Millaard Level 7

Stefan,

There is nothing out of the ordinary in your screenshot. But this was using interpret footage, right? Does your sequence setting match 16x9? Because if it is, I don't understand why interpret footage is needed.

• 10. Re: Premiere Output /Export Problem
                            Stefan Hallberg Level 1

If I understand it right, your “interpret” footage question is referring to me right clicking on each imported file and going to “Interpret Footage” and setting it to “Confirm To” D1/DV NTSC Widescreen 19:9 (1.2121). After all the clips are imported that way and assembled in the time line and looking right in the Sequence window, I selected ALL in the time line and went through the export process as described in my previous post.  So this does mean that I am using Interpret Footage.

Here is a screenshot of the associated Adobe Media Encoder Window as well.  I am in the process of doing an export with the pixel ratio set to (1) instead of Widescreen as per  Eric Addison’s suggestion

• 11. Re: Premiere Output /Export Problem
                              Stefan Hallberg Level 1

As explained in my first post, the interpret footage was need in order to make the originally imported clips not look squashed
                              • 12. Re: Premiere Output /Export Problem
                                Stefan Hallberg Level 1

I did an export with the pixel ratio set to one (1) instead of to Widescreen and the Quick Time movie now looks right with the proper aspect ratio.  In retrospect, my assumption is that since the footage was already interpreted right after import as mentioned in my original post, by using the aspect ratio of one (1) no further pixel ratio modification was needed since this was already done in the initial interpretation.  Does this make sense to you guys?

As a novice getting into this, there are certainly a lot of parameters and settings to know about and the input and help from more experienced users is much appreciated.

Thank you and a Happy New Year to you all!

• 13. Re: Premiere Output /Export Problem
                                  Harm Millaard Level 7

Stefan,

720x480 is standard SD resolution with non-square pixels. With square pixels it is either 640x480 for 4x3 material or 854x480 for 16x9 material.

I know you said you needed to use interpret footage to make it look right, but the question remains what your sequence settings are? I strongly suspect it is either the source codec H.264 or your sequence settings that is causing this problem.

1 person found this helpful
                                  • 14. Re: Premiere Output /Export Problem

Stefan,

Having delt with this before with clients, there is something with Adobe Media Encoder and Quicktime that causes the 16x9 files to look squished on playback. I've even seen this with 16x9 clips captured in OnLocation as Quicktimes...not sure why it happens.

That being said, if you import the squished looking Quicktime back into into Premiere Pro on a 16x9 timeline, it should play and look fine. If you want to give the exported file to a client for review, then it becomes a little more tricky because you can't change the resoultion of the file when using the DV codec - it locks into 720x480. Use something the the H.264 setting, and change the pixel aspect ratio to 1.0 and the resoultion until you get an image that has no black borders - again, use click on the Output tab in the Media Encoder so you can see what you're doing.

So, my answer to you would be what are you doing with the finished file? If you're burning it to a DVD, then you'll be fine - Encore should see it as a 16x9 file and burn it properly...or at least that's been my experience. If it's for client review - I'd use the H.264 setting as i described.

Good luck!

1 person found this helpful
                                    • 15. Re: Premiere Output /Export Problem
                                      Stefan Hallberg Level 1

It seems that all three of us was submitting posts at the same time and both your post came in after I posted mine and updated the screen.  Eric's post makes some sense and I will play with it some more.  In this case, I just needed a QT for uploading to an FTP site so it is now in working order. As far as I know, all I did was to change the “Aspect” under the video tab to Square Pixels (1.0) and all else left as it was.  This also changed the preset to “Custom” Please explain “click on the Output tab in the Media Encoder so you can see what you're doing”.  Where is this and how is this done?

Thanks again for your help.

• 16. Re: Premiere Output /Export Problem
                                        Stefan Hallberg Level 1

Harm,

Where can I see what the Sequence Settings are?  I know that the issue was solved simply by changing the Aspect ratio to 1.0 In the output but I am just trying to get a better understanding of it all so that I can know more of what setting to use in the future.  I have ordered several books on Premiere pro CS4 so I will eventually get though it.

Thanks again for all you help in solving this.

• 17. Re: Premiere Output /Export Problem
                                          Harm Millaard Level 7

Make a timeline active, then choose Sequence/Sequence settings.

• 18. Re: Premiere Output /Export Problem
                                            function(){return A.apply(null,[this].concat($A(arguments)))}

Stefan Hallberg wrote:

Please explain “click on the Output tab in the Media Encoder so you can see what you're doing”.  Where is this and how is this done?

Thanks again for your help.

In the export settings window (the first image you posted), you'll see 2 tabs in the top left - one says source, one says output...in the first image you posted, you had the source window open, and it was showing you what your source video looked like - the video from the timeline. If you click the tab that says Output, the window changes to now show you what the outputted video will look like. That is when you adjust the pixel aspect ratio and screen resoultion to something other then  720x480 - something that will make the black bars around the image go away.

• 19. Re: Premiere Output /Export Problem
                                              Stefan Hallberg Level 1

Thanks Harm,

Here is a screen shot of the sequence settings if that will help you figuring out what I could have done as far as adjusting these settings.

• 20. Re: Premiere Output /Export Problem
                                                Harm Millaard Level 7

Stefan,

It looks to me you have done everything correct, The sequence settings are exactly what I would have expected. This makes me think that the source codec, H.264 does not properly transmit the widescreen flag to PR to allow it to recognize it as such and why you needed to (correctly) use the interpret footage setting. I suggest you contact Adobe TS to have a look into this, it may be a bug that the proper flag is not recognized. Whether that is a PR bug or a Samsung bug I do not know, but something is wrong here.

Anyway, you solved it with Eric's help. Happy editing.

• 21. Re: Premiere Output /Export Problem
                                                  Stefan Hallberg Level 1

Thanks Eric,

I don't know why I missed that one, it' pretty obvious but there are a lot of settings and parameters to deal with that can be overwhelming to a first time user.  In the output window on the left side of the Export Settings window, changing the aspect ratio from D1/DV NTSC Widescreen 16:9 (1.2121) to Square Pixels (1.0) the only things that changes is the black bars at the top and bottom (they are there in the Square Pixels (1.0) settings only). There is no indication of the narrowed squashed look that the Widescreen setting will produce.  Unless, in the top right corner of the left preview window there is a pull down that give the choice of “Aspect Ratio Corrected Preview” and “1:1 Pixel Preview”. When “1:1 Pixel Preview” is selected I can see the narrowed squashed appearance of the footage.  This is very enlightening indeed and I assume that this is that way, “1:1 Pixel Preview”, to see what the footage will look like when output with set parameters?  Having had this pull down menu (that I previously did not know existed) selected as “Aspect Ratio Corrected Preview” did not enable me to see the distorted view.  Now this observation:  when the “1:1 Pixel Preview” is selected, BOTH the “Source” and the “Output” view appear distorted and with the wrong proportions.  Is there a way to see what the source file truly looks like and what he output would truly look like with whatever output parameters are selected???  It seems that whatever settings are entered, the Source and Output views are identical and change the same way according to the changed settings.  The way to see the Source footage, as it appears, would be to use the “Aspect Ratio Corrected Preview” setting and to see what the Output will truly look like would be to set the pulldown menu to “1:1 Pixel Preview”Please give your input on this and what you think the correct settings in the pulldown menu would be in order to achieve a correct view of the Source footage as well as how the output footage would actually appear.

The output to QT that I was able to do successfully with correct proportions do have the black bars at top and bottom but I much rather have the black bars and correct proportions than no black bars and a distorted video.  NOW, just out of curiosity, is it possible to export a correctly proportioned video in my case without the black bars or are the black bars just an accepted part of using 16:9?  When I look at major Hollywood movie trailers, they come in with the 16:9 or Letterbox elongated aspect ratio in QT without the black bars.  The QT window just conforms to the right aspect ratio.  Is this possible to achieve through a Premiere CS4 output as well?

Thanks million to you both of you for helping me with this, I feel that my understanding of the output parameters and interface have made leaps and bounds just with this short interaction on the forum with you guys.

• 22. Re: Premiere Output /Export Problem
                                                    Harm Millaard Level 7

Stefan,

Reread post # 6 and try both approaches without using interpret footage. That wil show you whether the camera is really 16x9 (which I start to doubt) or cropped 4x3.