12 Replies Latest reply on Oct 7, 2007 5:02 PM by heathrowe

Copy Visible command?

cmeans@fitdigits.com
      I feel silly. We are trying to transition from PS to Fireworks, but for the life of me I can't get Fireworks to execute a similar function as the PS Copy Visible function. Fireworks only copies from one subelement, it doesn't seem to want to copy across the selected visible portion of the graphics. What am I doing wrong?

Thanks,

Chris
        • 1. Re: Copy Visible command?
          Level 7
          If I understand correctly, in PS copy visible has an implicit selection
          namely those objects that are visible.

In FW you will need to explicitly select the object that need to be
          copied. There are at least two ways to make such selections:

1 - click and drag across the canvas

2 - select objects in the layer list

3 - a combination of #1 and #2

4 - the above will select objects on the other hand if you wish to
          create a bitmap image the export tools really are quite sweet and cater
          for export to JPEG, GIF and PNG with suitable parameters for each file
          format.

cmeans@ctm-design.com wrote:
          > I feel silly. We are trying to transition from PS to Fireworks, but for the
          > life of me I can't get Fireworks to execute a similar function as the PS Copy
          > Visible function. Fireworks only copies from one subelement, it doesn't seem to
          > want to copy across the selected visible portion of the graphics. What am I
          > doing wrong?
          >
          > Thanks,
          >
          > Chris
          >
          • 2. Re: Copy Visible command?
            Level 7
            Several other ways:

1. Ctrl+a selects everything.
            2. From the top menu, Select > Select All
            3. Click on the Layer name

alex

deebs wrote:
            > If I understand correctly, in PS copy visible has an implicit selection
            > namely those objects that are visible.
            >
            > In FW you will need to explicitly select the object that need to be
            > copied. There are at least two ways to make such selections:
            >
            > 1 - click and drag across the canvas
            >
            > 2 - select objects in the layer list
            >
            > 3 - a combination of #1 and #2
            >
            > 4 - the above will select objects on the other hand if you wish to
            > create a bitmap image the export tools really are quite sweet and cater
            > for export to JPEG, GIF and PNG with suitable parameters for each file
            > format.
            >
            > cmeans@ctm-design.com wrote:
            >> I feel silly. We are trying to transition from PS to Fireworks, but
            >> for the life of me I can't get Fireworks to execute a similar function
            >> as the PS Copy Visible function. Fireworks only copies from one
            >> subelement, it doesn't seem to want to copy across the selected
            >> visible portion of the graphics. What am I doing wrong?
            >>
            >> Thanks,
            >> Chris
            >>
            • 3. Re: Copy Visible command?
              Level 7
              True, true - especially if all the objects onscreen are those that need
              to be copied.

Alex Mariño wrote:
              > Several other ways:
              >
              > 1. Ctrl+a selects everything.
              > 2. From the top menu, Select > Select All
              > 3. Click on the Layer name
              >
              > alex
              >
              • 4. Re: Copy Visible command?
                cmeans@fitdigits.com Level 1
                That will get me the object I select, but what I really want is just that selection that is within the Marquee I drew out... When I select multiple objects or All, it won't even allow me to draw a marquee. In PS, you can just draw a marquee on your canvas (with any (or no) objects selected), then click Edit-Copy Merged (sorry - I thought it was visible) and it will put into the clipboard whatever pixels are visible within the marquee.
                • 5. Re: Copy Visible command?
                  In other words, it isn't the visible objects I want, it is the visible pixels within the marquee across all the objects.
                  • 6. Re: Copy Visible command?
                    Level 7
                    I am getting confused.

1 - do you want to copy objects
                    or
                    2 - do you wish to create a bitmap object from what can be seen onscreen?

Traditionally bitmap only applications do things one way, vector only
                    applications do things differently and combined bitmap/vector
                    applications seem to be closer to vector only apps in quite a few respects.

If #1 see previous posts, if #2 try the export tool (4th icon in select
                    section in the toolbar - it has two subselection options, export area
                    may be the best in this case) otherwise it is better to explain what you
                    wish to do possibly with examples.

> In other words, it isn't the visible objects I want, it is the visible pixels within the marquee across all the objects.
                    >
                    • 7. Re: Copy Visible command?
                      The Export function does get the area, across objects, that I was looking for. I guess if the Export had an "Export to Clipboard" that would be exactly what I was looking for (the equivelent of Copy Merged). It was a feature I used in PS all the time (Shft+Ctrl+C).

Thanks very much for the information and time, I appreciate it!

Chris
                      • 8. Re: Copy Visible command?
                        Level 7
                        Glad to help - it's great learning new stuff.

> The Export function does get the area, across objects, that I was looking for.
                        > I guess if the Export had an "Export to Clipboard" that would be exactly what I
                        > was looking for (the equivelent of Copy Merged). It was a feature I used in PS
                        > all the time (Shft+Ctrl+C).
                        >
                        > Thanks very much for the information and time, I appreciate it!
                        >
                        > Chris
                        >
                        • 9. Copy Visible command?
                          John Dunning
                          quote:

Originally posted by: cmeans@ctm-design.com
                          The Export function does get the area, across objects, that I was looking for. I guess if the Export had an "Export to Clipboard" that would be exactly what I was looking for (the equivelent of Copy Merged). It was a feature I used in PS all the time (Shft+Ctrl+C).

It sounds like you're looking for something like my Copy Merged command:
                          http://johndunning.com/fireworks/about/CopyMerged

It copies the entire document to the clipboard as flattened pixels, including locked layers. If there's a selection when you run the command, then just the area within the bounding box of the selection is copied. A slice is handy for this, or you can make a marquee selection to indicate the area to be copied to the clipboard.

Let me know if that works for you.
                          • 10. Re: Copy Visible command?
                            Thank you, this is perfect! What a great tool, it even has an 'as new document' feature too. I love your set of tools! You rock!

• 11. Re: Copy Visible command?
                              John Dunning Level 1
                              Glad you found it useful. There's actually an even newer version available now:
                              http://johndunning.com/fireworks/about/CopyMerged

It adds the "Copy Merged into Selection" command, which gives you even more control. If you draw, say, an ellipse with a feathered fill over your document, select it, and then run "Copy Merged into Selection", the ellipse will be replaced with a flattened bitmap of whatever pixels were under it; the feathered fill will also be applied to the bitmap. Text blocks work, too. Just select a text object and run the command; the opaque pixels of the text will be replaced with the pixels underneath. Open paths work as well; the visible pixels of the path serve as the mask.

Things get more interesting if multiple objects are selected. The bottom-most selected object serves as the pixel source for the rest of the selection. Say you have a screenshot of a toolbar and you want to extract each 16X16 icon into its own bitmap. Place a 16X16 rectangle over each of the icons, select all of the rectangles and the screenshot, and then run "Copy Merged into Selection". The rectangles will be replaced with the pixels from the screenshot, which will remain unaffected.
                              • 12. Re: Copy Visible command?
                                heathrowe Most Valuable Participant
                                Nice going John, and thanks for the share :)
                                h