2 Replies Latest reply on Jan 13, 2010 11:32 AM by Jeff Swartz

Browsing and opening files from a file server

lynda_22

Hello!

I am interested if it is possible with AIR to browse files from a file server that is connected to a local network and open them. F.e. I want to create an application that opens template files with their native programs and save them on the file server under different name.

Thank you in advance

Lynda

• 1. Re: Browsing and opening files from a file server
          lynda_22 Level 1

Is there anyone who can help me?

• 2. Re: Browsing and opening files from a file server
            Jeff Swartz Level 3

AIR 2 (now at labs.adobe.com) has features you are looking for. An AIR 2 application can open a file in the default system application registered for the file type. (The file server must be a mounted volume on the computer.)

An extended desktop application (an AIR 2 application that is installed with a native installer) can communicate with another application. So, if the AIR (extended desktop) application knows the path to the native application, it can open that application and communicate with it. If the native application has APIs for opening and saving files, the AIR application can communicate with it using those APIs. (So, this functionality depends on the capabilities of the native application.)