10 Replies Latest reply on Jan 23, 2013 6:07 PM by pwillener

Unable to 'submit' pdf document

newtothis51

I'm trying to send in a job application - the form is in pdf and downloadable from the employer's website. I have been able to fill in the form, but when I click the 'submit' button I get a message which reads 'this operation is not permitted'.  Any suggestions as to what might be wrong with it please?

• 1. Re: Unable to 'submit' pdf document
          MichaelKazlow MVP & Adobe Community Professional

What program do you use for email? What OS? What version of Reader?

Message was edited by: MichaelKazlow

• 2. Re: Unable to 'submit' pdf document
            newtothis51 Level 1

Hi, I use Outlook Express for email; operating system is Windows XP; Reader version is 9.2.

• 3. Re: Unable to 'submit' pdf document
              mkolar007

I am having the same problem. I have created a form with Adobe Acrobat 9 Pro from a word document converting this to a pdf, where I clicked Forms>Add or Edit Fields. I manually added the fields and radio buttons for the form and the submit button. Now, when I click on the saved pdf, I (and a co-worker who has Adobe Acrobat Pro) can open and complete the form and successfully submit it through our email program (GroupWise 7.0, Adobe Reader 9).

When I send this pdf to a coworkers who do not have Adobe Acrobat Pro but who have Acrobat Reader. They can open and view the document but after clicking submit, they get the popup message, "This operation is not permitted".

In another forum, I see "If you are trying to submit the entire PDF and not just the data, then the form has to be rights enabled for save before it will work on Reader.  Look under the Advanced menu on Acrobat Professional." Plus, I see "The email wouildn't submit from Reader.  From another forum I discovered the following.  "If you are trying to submit the entire PDF and not just the data, then the form has to be rights enabled for save before it will work on Reader.  Look under the Advanced menu on Acrobat Professional.  I just tried it and it works."

http://forums.adobe.com/message/2243668#2243668

Well, I have tried to find in Acrobat 9 Pro under Advanced menu, the ability to make the form rights enabled for save so it will work in Reader but no luck.

I tried Distribute Form, but I do not believe this is what we want, as this pdf needs to be loaded on our website, so anyone at our company can access and complete the form, where it would be emailed to the one individual.

Any help is appreciated on this as I see a lot of postings about this issue with Adobe Acrobat forms but no clear resolution.

Mark K

Message was edited by: mkolar007

• 4. Re: Unable to 'submit' pdf document
                top floor Level 1

Can you tell me if this problem has been fixed, unable to submit form in Acrobat reader 10

• 5. Re: Unable to 'submit' pdf document
                  Test Screen Name Most Valuable Participant

You MIGHT be able to submit it with Reader 11, depending what kind of form it is.

But if you didn't make the form you should tell the form's creator about the problem.

• 6. Re: Unable to 'submit' pdf document
                    top floor Level 1

I created the form, have done this before, with no problems simple mailto: option for submit button, it works fine in Reader 9, it appears to be a problem with reader 10. I have just downloaded Adobe V11 and it works fine. Will you be fixing Adobe version 10?

Regards

Jerry

[private data removed]

• 7. Re: Unable to 'submit' pdf document

There is no known problem with Reader 10, that makes it different from Reader 9, so far as I know.Very unlikely anything will be changed in Reader 10

You CANNOT submit the complete form from versions of Reader before 11 UNLESS it is specially prepared by Acrobat Pro or some more expensive software.

I believe some versions of Reader would instead automatically submit form data instead of the complete form, so I guess that could be a difference.

(Just remember: countless millions of people can't send email from their computer. email "submit" is really only a toy for testing, and for certain big companies).

• 8. Re: Unable to 'submit' pdf document
                        top floor Level 1

The form was created in Adobe Acrobat pro 9. and tested in this application and it worked fine.

I have downloaded a version of Acrobat reader 11 and it now works,

I had previously completed these types of forms in Acrobat reader 9 and this function has worked with no problems, therefore my only conclusion is there must be an issue with Acrobat reader 10. I have had this tested by another user on a different system and they also had a problem with Acrobat Reader 10.

Thanks for your help.

PS if this function is installed in Acrobat, why should it be only available to be used as a tester's toy surely if it makes the process of filling in and replying to acrobat forms a better experience for the end user. 

Regards

Jerry

[private data removed]

• 9. Re: Unable to 'submit' pdf document

It will always work in Acrobat Pro. It is Reader which is deliberately limited. However, Acrobat Pro has been able to "enable" forms for use in Reader subject to limitations, maybe this is what was done before.

"acrobat forms a better experience for the end user." Well, is it a better experience if trying to send the form says "You have no email client, configure one"? Or if it goes into an outbox that is never sent?

Web pages can "submit" by email too, but they never do, because it's just a toy... they submit properly.

• 10. Re: Unable to 'submit' pdf document
                            pwillener Level 8

This is a public forum; please do not post your email address or other private data.