14 Replies Latest reply on Jan 8, 2010 11:41 AM by schlossd

Which Preset for HD?

sneedbreedley Level 1

I'm editing a photo montage. I videotaped 100 photos with my SONY Z5U Camcorder in 1080i (progressive mode). I then used Premiere to export the timeline to 100 stills (bmps) which are all 1920x1080. Which preset do I use to edit the montage?

AVC-Intra-1080p-AVC-I 100 1080p30 (1920x1080) square pixels

AVC-Intra-1080p-AVC-I 50   1080p30 (1440x1080) HD Anamophic 1080

or something else?

• 1. Re: Which Preset for HD?
          Harm Millaard Level 7

You videotaped on a Z5. You captured the HDV material in a HDV sequence, edited it and then exported to 1920x1080 BMP's. What more editing do you want to do and why bring in AVC? Sorry, but I don't understand your workflow. And explain how you shoot 1080i progressive; i and p are mutually exclusive.

• 2. Re: Which Preset for HD?
            sneedbreedley Level 1

I put all the stills on the timeline, add dissolves and Hollywood FX transitions to them and several songs. As for the interlaced vs progressive issue, here's the problem. With the SONY HVR-Z5U, I am recording in 1080p. But to export the video via ieee, my only HDV choice is-Video Out-Component-1080i/480i.

• 3. Re: Which Preset for HD?
              Curt Wrigley Level 4

What is it you want to do?  Your workflow is pretty unconventional.  Are you exporting to web, dvd, bluray, other?

It appears you are videoing photographs for export to what?   You want a workflow with less changing of formats and fields.

• 4. Re: Which Preset for HD?
                sneedbreedley Level 1

How is this unconventional? I'm putting stills on a timeline, adding transitions and sound, then burning to a blu-ray DVD.

• 5. Re: Which Preset for HD?
                  Curt Wrigley Level 4

All the unecessary format changes is unconventional and likely causing you problems.  You are mixing progressive footage with at last interlaced output.  We dont yet know what project preset you are using in between.

Videoing photos makes sense to use progressive mode on the cam.   You then need to capture this to a progressive timeline.  You can then just freeze frame your footage to make what I assume is s slideshow and export directly to a bluray export file; or DL direct to Encore to elliminate export altogether.

• 6. Re: Which Preset for HD?
                    fred tyler Level 1

Hi, Happy New Year, Perhaps the easiest way to do what you need is to just use stills in jpg and automate to timeline. There are several tutorials around, that explain how to do it much better than I could. You could still use hollywood fx transitions but I like the default one in pp,

regards fred

• 7. Re: Which Preset for HD?
                      sneedbreedley Level 1

Please refer to my original question. I just need to know which preset to use with 1920x1440 stills.

• 8. Re: Which Preset for HD?
                        Jeff Bellune Adobe Community Professional

For 1920x1440 you need to roll your own preset.  Create a Desktop sequence at 1920x1440.  Make the frame rate and field order match your source footage.

And Curt's correct: your workflow is unconventional, to say the least.  It seems unnecessarily convoluted, and it may turn out to be unworkable.  I'd listen to what these other folks have to say, and I'd answer their questions.

-Jeff

• 9. Re: Which Preset for HD?
                          Curt Wrigley Level 4

sneedbreedley wrote:

Please refer to my original question. I just need to know which preset to use with 1920x1440 stills.

You havnt answered our questions.  Your question does not contain enough information for a specific answer. We are tryin to help but you seem reluctant to provide details.

• 10. Re: Which Preset for HD?
                            sync2rhythm Level 1

Although your WorkFlow is NOT the same as most of us, it can be done pretty easily and lot less painful than you think.

1920x1080 project. (I only say this if you want to make a BluRay or 16:9... if this is for Web or DVD; I'd prob go with a DV preset, possibly anamorphic depending on method of delivery**) The type doesn't matter since you have all .bmps/image files... you'll probably have to Render your timeline anyway to view it in Full Frame/Resolution once you start adding transitions.

I would go with whatever Field Order the preset is.

Since your workflow is unconventional we have to get it back into a Common Arena and that's just what a Preset will do.

If you feel that AVC-Intra is the direction you're going... then go... just use a Preset.

You may want to look into a Software geared towards photo montages if this is the type of projects you do as it would complete a task such as this in a matter of a few clicks.

I'm not sure why your workflow is to capture video then export .bmps/stills except for an image sequence but personally I like to use .png's.

If this is for an image sequence, I can see skipping frames, adding effects, etc. and making something cool.

** Your images will be larger than the Frame; giving you more room to play 'Ken Burns' with in a DV preset.

• 11. Re: Which Preset for HD?
                              sneedbreedley Level 1

Oops. Now I made a mistake. My stills are not 1920x1440, they are 1920x1080! But I still don't see what's wrong with my workflow. How would you edit a photo montage?

• 12. Re: Which Preset for HD?
                                sync2rhythm Level 1

I use Canopus Imaginate but there are other Photo Montage software's available.

Another I have used is muvee Reveal/autoProducer.

Photographers are not Videographers and have a plethora of tools geared towards them making Photo Montages fairly effortlessly.

If you do a WWW search and check out a few, I bet you'll find one that's pretty simple to use.

They usually have different themes or vibes and you just select your photos and hit GO.

View and Adjust your output to your taste.

iPhoto has it built in so I'm sure other Photo Management softwares also have this feature.

The thing is to find the one that has all the options you need with a not so steep learning curve.

Encore DVD has the ability to do Photo Slideshows too, ya know.

Encore DVD Slideshow

I'm not sure if it is what you need... but it's a start; with the tools you already have.

You're on the right track. Don't let people here or anywhere else tell you that there is only 1way to bake a cake or edit videos/photos.

Although there is a General Way that us with formal education in Video have learned to do things; It's your Ends that will justify the Means.

• 13. Re: Which Preset for HD?
                                  Eric Addison User Group Manager
                                  function(){return A.apply(null,[this].concat($A(arguments)))}

sneedbreedley wrote:

Oops. Now I made a mistake. My stills are not 1920x1440, they are 1920x1080! But I still don't see what's wrong with my workflow. How would you edit a photo montage?

I usually scan all the photos as tiff or jpeg files, then drop them into PPro and edit away. I usually scan them at higher resolution then my sequence settings so I can push in and move around them if I need too.

• 14. Re: Which Preset for HD?
                                    schlossd

And another idea for the workflow.  I use a Z7U so I checked B&H and see that your camera has the memory stick duo card.  Just a thought but place your photos on solid background shoot each with the memory card option on the camera and just put the card into the computer, fire up photoshop, trim and save then drop them on the timeline, add transitions and music and WHALA a montage.  Or buy ProShow Producer and make a really cool montage.  As for the settings...unknown Captain...I never shoot photos with my video camera.