5 Replies Latest reply on Jan 2, 2010 3:33 PM by the_wine_snob

MOD files appear as 4:3

RifleBrigade

I have Premiere Elements 8 and the issue is that when I import a MOD video file that is in 16:9 widescreen format (tested in windows media player and 3 others and they all play as widescreen) it appears in the 4:3 format, I have tried 3 other video eding programs and they are all perfect in that they display the true widescreen format ready for editing.

My project profile is set to 16:9 widescreen but whatever I do premier will only show it in 4:3, I do understand that a MOD file is a  MPG file (yes I have tried renaming the extension but that does not work).

Any ideas of how I can bring Adobes latest editing software to match one that worked (Roxio VideoWave) that was 2 years old!

• 1. Re: MOD files appear as 4:3
          the_wine_snob Level 9

Can you alter the attributes with Interpret Footage in PrE? It is likely that PrE is not picking up the 16:9 flag for some reason.

When you run the file through G-Spot, what does it show for the Aspect Ratio and PAR.

PrE has been known to have issues with .MOD files, but I do not recall this one.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 2. Re: MOD files appear as 4:3
            RifleBrigade Level 1

Can you alter the attributes with Interpret Footage in PrE? = I have changed what setting I could but video will not alter

When you run the file through G-Spot, what does it show for the Aspect Ratio and PAR. = Please see attached image

Thanks for the quick reply, I had also sent one of my files to someone else with Premier Elements 8 and thay had the same issues, the only workaround is for me to put each clip into Roxio Videowave and export as AVI or MPEG and bring them back into Adobe

• 3. Re: MOD files appear as 4:3
              the_wine_snob Level 9

It looks like G-Spot sees it as a 4:3 file also. Not sure why the 16:9 flag is not registering, but neither G-Spot, nor PrE is seeing it.

Something else to check would be the camera's manual, just to see exactly how it does 16:9. There are several methods used, from just cropped 4:3 to simulate 16:9 to variations on true anamorphic. These methods, and their implementation, will differ from camera model & mfgr. to camera model & mfgr. There could be something there.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 4. Re: MOD files appear as 4:3
                RifleBrigade Level 1

I have managed to get it working in Interpret Footage I had forgot to change the Pixel Aspect Ratio to conform to D1/DV PAL Widescreen 16:9 (1.4587) since doing that all of my footage is now in the correct format.

Thanks for your help as I did not know about the Interpret Footage function.

• 5. Re: MOD files appear as 4:3
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

I just used Interpret Footage (Rt-click on Clip in the Project Panel) on an MPEG and I could change the PAR to about anything that I wanted, by clicking on the Conform To radio button. Not sure why you are being denied that. Now, my MPEG was not from a .MOD file, but was straight MPEG-2.

Curious,

Hunt