10 Replies Latest reply on Jan 5, 2010 7:14 AM by TimeRemapper

Optimal FLash export for web ??

fredou_79 Level 1

I'm trying to export a 2m34s flash for my website, but I keep test exporting clip that play strobbing because they'Re too heavy even if they are much lower size then many Quicktimes I've exported and played fluidly.

What would be the optimal setting for exporting a low res Flash and then a High res Flash 1920x1080 from an uncompressed HD AVI 10-bit with AIFF 24-bit stereo 48 000 ?

Thank you.

• 2. Re: Optimal FLash export for web ??
          fredou_79 Level 1

I'm basically doing what they say I should do, and come up with clips of around 34MB for the whole thing (in F4V and FLV), but these playback very choppy nearly on freeze when I try to play them on my computer, not even across the web.

• 3. Re: Optimal FLash export for web ??
            Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

What are your exact settings and what computer do you work on? When viewing them, do you watch at native size or are they scaled in some way? that would matter a lot.

Mylenium

• 4. Re: Optimal FLash export for web ??
              fredou_79 Level 1

I've made 4 tests exports:

2 F4V = one scaled half and one scaled 1920x1080.

2 FLV = one scaled 3rd and one same as source which is 1920x1080

all 4 plays badly on my computer even when minimized to less than a fourth of my 19 inches widescreen monitor.

My computer is AMD Athlon x2 6400+, 8 GB RAM Windows Vista, NVIDIA Quadro FX 1500, separated raid 0 drive for video in SATA 2, basically I've edited HD timelines with no problem with this setup...

Here's the exports setting of my 4 tests:

F4V (h264) HIGH res:

VRB 1 pass

fps same as source (29.97)

Field Upper

Profile High

level 4.1

Target Bit rate 9

Max bit rate 12

keyframe distance 30 frames

audio 44.1 stereo AAC 128 kbps

audio quality: High

F4V (h264) low res:

VRB 1 pass

Field Upper

Profile High

level 4.1

Target Bit rate 2.5

Max bit rate 3

keyframe distance 30 frames

audio quality: High

FLV HIGH res:

On2 VP6

VBR

Bit rate 1500 kbps

quality best

undershoot 90

FLV low res:

On2 VP6

VBR

Bit rate 1000 kbps

quality good

undershoot 90

Thank you for your help.

Frédéric

• 5. Re: Optimal FLash export for web ??

all 4 plays badly on my computer even when minimized to less than a fourth of my 19 inches widescreen monitor.

Do you scale the browser window/ Adobe Media Player window or do you refer to scaling them on output from AE? The latter should not cause this, but the first might, as video palyback is partially hardware accelerated and this may not work correctly when scaling windows. The rest of your specs look just fine. I would try to change the keyframe intervals and the audio sample rates, maybe something is going on on that end on your system. In reverse that also means, you should look into your audio configuration. The audio may be resampled live and cause the slowdowns. turn off any fancies and match the sample rates exactly....

Mylenium

• 6. Re: Optimal FLash export for web ??
                  TimeRemapper Level 4

In addition, you may want to consider using 2-pass encoding (for higher-quality/smaller file sizes), and outputting progressive data from your interlaced source, unless you need to have interlaced content.

• 7. Re: Optimal FLash export for web ??
                    fredou_79 Level 1

In my description, I was referring to scaling of viewer on my desktop.

I've checked in my AE and I was exporting clip at full scale of 1920x1080, which is what I'd like for my HIGH res version, but don't mind for the lower res one.

I'm not sure if I understand correctly your last part:

"The audio may be resampled live and cause the slowdowns. turn off any fancies and match the sample rates exactly...."

Does the viewer still do a resampling live when reading clip even after it has been encoded by AE in clip's audio format ?

The original audio is 48000 but FLV doesn't allow more then 44100, how can I match the sample rates exactly ?

What do you refer as fancies ?

Thank you,

Frédéric

• 8. Re: Optimal FLash export for web ??
                      fredou_79 Level 1

AE doesn't allow me to use more then 1-pass encoding, is there a codec I'm lacking ?

I think I need progressive data, since I want this to replace my original h264 QT clips for my website to allow surfers to pause video during play which QT doesn't allow...

Thank you,

Frédéric

• 9. Re: Optimal FLash export for web ??

I'm not sure if I understand correctly your last part:

"The audio may be resampled live and cause the slowdowns. turn off any fancies and match the sample rates exactly...."

This refers to your audio hardware and possible mismatches. Say if you encoded your audio with 48 kHz and your out put was set to 44 kHz, the audio chip would resample on the fly. This is usually not a problem at all, but if e.g. you have a full surround setup or use perceptual audio enhancment settings ("virtual surround" etc.), the load in combination with teh video decoding may become too much. It's a rare thing, though, so I'm not sure what actually is at play in your case.

Mylenium

• 10. Re: Optimal FLash export for web ??
                          TimeRemapper Level 4
                          AE doesn't allow me to use more then 1-pass encoding, is there a codec I'm lacking ?

The problem here is that you're generating the F4V directly out of After Effects.

In order to get 2-pass VBR encoding, first render a quicktime (i.e. Animation codec @ best/full quality, 48K audio 16 bit stereo) out of After Effects.

Then, launch Adobe Media Encoder. Import the prerendered file, and apply the F4V codec. Then, under the video settings, you'll be able to adjust the number and type of passes that are used for the encode. You can also choose to output the encode as a progressive one.