7 Replies Latest reply on Jan 3, 2010 9:00 AM by the_wine_snob

fade in and out on multiple layers of video

Level 4

Hi

Well, I finished some more tutorials today, moving right along. However, as usual, I am wanting to do things not yet covered in the tutorials I've completed.  Here is a screenshot of what I have set up in premiere cs3 as of now....to edit 3 different video clips.

premiere+screenshot.png

What I'm doing is , I have a project that is a smaller frame size than the video size.  I'm using one video clip as a master, which is scaled down to the project size so it fills the frame. Then I use two other angles at their native size as "medium" shots (can move these clips and make it look like a pan) and so on.  Here is a sample of about 6 seconds of what I'm doing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U9_WsmW9KYA

I have the video stacked on top of each other on video 1, 2, and 3.

Now I would like to do some montage type stuff, where I have a portion of video playing and other parts of the video (larger size, different angle) are superimposed in the same frame, and I would like to do a transition of  FADE IN  and  FADE OUT of the superimposed portion....

This means, I think, but I'm not sure...that I have to do a fade in and fade out VERTICALLY between video channels...not horizontally...

The horizontal fade in and out I am achieving by changing opacity between the clips horizontally which renders the clip below it, for example. But now I want to also add the superimpostion with a fade in or fade out that is independent of the opacity settings.

So, lets say I have a medium shot imposed on the wide shot, and I now want that medium shot to fade out to a medium shot from the opposite angle (the other video clip below it), can I apply a fade in or out using the fade effect that came with premiere ?

Thanks ...

Rod