4 Replies Latest reply on Sep 18, 2008 4:51 AM by EileenPalsson

CHM File Compatibility with 64-bit Applications

wercampbells Level 1
      Does anyone have any experience developing HTML Help (CHM) for 64-bit applications? Are the 32-bit CHM files created with RoboHelp compatible on the 64-bit platform? Thanks for your help!
        • 1. Re: CHM File Compatibility with 64-bit Applications
          RoboColum(n) Level 5
          Please do not post a question in more than one forum. Those that can help you monitor them all so will spot it no matter where you place it.

Unfortunately I can't help you as I have no experience with 64 bit applications but I'm sure someone will be along soon to advise.
          • 2. Re: CHM File Compatibility with 64-bit Applications
            ginterd
            wercampbells,

I know this is not going to be of much help, but I figured I would throw it out there anyway. When I submitted a ticket to Adobe to try and get some help with major latency issues I have been experiencing with RoboHelp v.6, one of the "tips" they sent back to me (which was of no use) was to verify:

"* If you are using a 64-bit platform (check My Computer Properties) then
            this is not a properly tested environment and we have limitations on how
            we can troubleshoot this."

Again, this probably will not help, but Adobe did notify me that there are issues with 64-bit platforms.

Dan
            • 3. Re: CHM File Compatibility with 64-bit Applications
              RoboColum(n) Level 5
              Hi wercampbells.
              You sent me a private message about this post saying you can't see the response. Your profile does not allow me to send you a private message is response - maybe you'd like to change your profile. Hopefully you will see Dan's post instead.
              • 4. CHM File Compatibility with 64-bit Applications
                EileenPalsson Level 1
                Hi,

I happened to notice this post and thought, "Yikes, we run our CHM files on 64-bit systems all the time and we've never checked whether they're working properly."

So I did a systematic check of the following on a 64-bit system (Windows 2003 Server). Fortunately, everything worked exactly as it does on 32-bit versions. Phew!

• Context sensitive help works (pressing F1 in the application).
                • All links worked, including popup links.
                • All expanding and dropdown hotspots worked.
                • Both Index and Contents worked fine. Contents updated automatically when I move between topics (as is specified in our project).
                • Search functionality worked fine. Search options, too.
                • Favorites worked fine. These reappeared even when I closed the help and reopened it (as they should).
                • All of the above also worked when I opened the CHM file from Windows Explorer (rather than from inside the application).

Regards,
                  Eileen

P.S. I should add that the help was compiled using RH7.