4 Replies Latest reply on Jan 5, 2010 9:44 AM by the_wine_snob

PE7 does not support BD to folder

pinkPunter Level 1

I was extremely surprised that PE7 supports burning Blu Ray only direclty to media, and not to a folder as is the case with DVD.  This is quite disfunctional, as BD media is still extremely expensive and very time consuming to burn (especially the RW type).  'Burning' to a folder (I always hated the term "burning" when you actually mean writing to a hard drive folder, no 'smoke' involved....:) is a significant and relevant functionality requirement.  Many of us have moved from storing our family videos on individual optical media to the use of images on a server, why do we need to spend additional funds to buy a third party BD emulator, when it is expected that a BD 'save to folder' functionality is part and parcel of the NLE video editing product?

Lack of this functionality would make PE7 a 'non fit for purpose' product in the commercial/legal sense, and it's claimed support for BD is only partially fulfilled.  (Any excuses about fees or requirements of the BD cartel seem to be irrlevant in this context, and should they pursue this line, most of the public will find easier alternatives).

• 1. Re: PE7 does not support BD to folder
          nealeh Level 5

pinkPunter wrote:

why do we need to spend additional funds to buy a third party BD emulator

Out of interest what BD burnable emulator do you plan to use? The only one I'm familiar with is Virtual CD but that is a $35 item.

Cheers,
          --
          Neale
          Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

• 2. Re: PE7 does not support BD to folder
            pinkPunter Level 1

I was expecting to have a 'built-in' emulator or 'burn to folder' function as part of PE7.  So far I did not try any product.  I am aware of  the Sonic BD emulator (http://sonic-scenarist-bd-emulator.software.informer.com/) and others.  It seems that the main problem is limitations and constraints put by the BD 'owners', which are strangling this medium from wider use.  The consequences are that the players, media and software tools are too expensive.  I purchased a HD camcorder, a BD burner and PE7 with the intention to move from DVD to BD, but am gradually discouraged....:(

Another option, for basic playback, is to mux the audio and video using the free txMuxer tool, that can create a BD style file, but this would lack themore complex menu structure.

• 3. Re: PE7 does not support BD to folder
              pinkPunter Level 1

There is also a Scenarist BD emulator, but I don't have any information about price or features.  The whole point is that PE7 is quite crippled if it does not have a built-in facility to save a whole BD to disk.

A fairly limited option is to edit the video and audio parts in PE and then use a free tool like tsMuxer to create a BD on the PC hard drive.  This is limited however in regard to menu structures.

I intended to make a transition from DVD to BD, so I purchased a HD camcorder, a BD burner and PE7 (based on the 'advertised' BD support), however I am gradually giving up on BD, as the software is so limiting, the media and stand-alone players too expensive.  For home movies, the HD factor does not seem to justify all the pain....

• 4. Re: PE7 does not support BD to folder
                the_wine_snob Level 9

Adobe Encore can do what you want, with full Menus and Pop-Ups. Unfortunately, it is only available as part of Adobe PrPro.

Good luck, and I do agree that Sony, and others, are working hard to eliminate BD from public use, except with purchased/rented commercial BD's. I feel that it will be even less of a consumer medium with the next iteration, or two. Now, some player firmware updates have effectively locked out any burned BD. This is a choice that the powers-that-be have made.

Good luck,

Hunt