8 Replies Latest reply on Jan 13, 2010 7:21 AM by jgaasbeek001

Poor quality when rendering Quick Time

jgaasbeek001 Level 1

My partner uses an iMac, and asked me to prepare a promo for her werk to run on her iMac. So I chose Quick Time as output format, and verified that the right codec (h264) was used. In order to meet the resolution of the screen installed in the iMac, I adjusted the frame size to the size of the footage I used (1080i HD). The output was there, and it played on the Mac, but after a few seconds, it became all pixelated. What did I do wrong? Any suggestions are welcome.

Kind regards

Jan Maarten

• 1. Re: Poor quality when rendering Quick Time
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Adjusting the frame size was probably not a good idea. That alone could accont for some shifting in the quality

But more so, you don't say what type of video you began with -- what kind of camcorder it came from and how you got it into your computer. Matching the right video format to the right project settings is the key to a good output with this program.

• 2. Re: Poor quality when rendering Quick Time
            jgaasbeek001 Level 1

Hi Steve,

Thank you for responding. I was not sure what information would be needed. I use a Sony HDR FX1 camera in HD mode at 25fps. I capture my footage with HDVSplit, so the input data is in .m2t format. For editing I use the 1080i 25fps project settings provided for in PrE (8.0). The iMac has a screen resolution of 2560 x 1440, so I thought to render at least at the size of my footage not to loose quality.The standard framesize for rendering appeared pretty low to me for viewing on a screen with said dimensions.

regards

Jan Maarten

• 3. Re: Poor quality when rendering Quick Time
              Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Well, it sounds like you're using the right type of camcorder and the right project setting.

But that camcorder produces video at 1440x1080. You're not going to be able to output any larger than that -- so you're certainly not going to be able to output a video at full-screen resolution for a computer monitor.

But you should be able to do a 1920x1080 (square pixels) MOV that should look very good.

• 4. Re: Poor quality when rendering Quick Time
                jgaasbeek001 Level 1

Steve,

That is what I thought: it should be possible to produce output at the size

of the original footage used in the project. So I have chosen that in the

output settings, with a disappointing result. The highest resolution offered

in a default PrE-setting is 640 x 480. Would that than be the maximum

achievable? That would be quit disappointing. Or should I just leave the

quality-lever at 50%?

Jan Maarten

• 5. Re: Poor quality when rendering Quick Time
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

What Project Share/Export settings are you choosing? It sounds like you have chosen to Share/Export to a DV Preset, which would be for DVD in SD resolution.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 6. Re: Poor quality when rendering Quick Time
                    jgaasbeek001 Level 1

I have chosen QuickTime, wich comes originally in 2 qualities for WAN and

LAN. Based upon the LAN settings I have increased the frame size to 1440 x

1080 and the quality from 50 to 100.

Jan Maarten Gaasbeek

• 7. Re: Poor quality when rendering Quick Time
                      digitalreply Level 1

Jan,

You can also try changing the bitrate value. The export settings mentioned by you look appropriate. So in addition to changing the frame size to 1440X1080, quality value to 100, you can also increase the bitrate from the default 800kbps value and check the results.

• 8. Re: Poor quality when rendering Quick Time
                        jgaasbeek001 Level 1

So far so bad: yesterday I tried rendering a test project of 4 minutes footage in the WAN preset format. The first 23 seconds of the output were fine, but than the viewer screen went to black, which is sort of simular to what happened in the high resolution attempt, where after a few seconds the output became pixelated. Still, any suggestions in what could be the issue are welcome