10 Replies Latest reply on Jan 3, 2010 8:00 PM by Steve Grisetti

About hd footage, project settings and previewfiles

Mika Järvinen

Hey again all!

About month ago I was talking in this forum about editing hd footage and among other things I found out (with your help) that project settings should be the same as the original video. In that time I was thinking that I could help to preview my video in Pre8 as the hd footage is almost too heavy stuff to preview in editing software. I was told that the final rendering was made of the files that have been rendered, not from the original. So I chose the settings which were quite close to mine original video.

But now when I had some problems I started to look deeper in to the rendered preview files, and their format turned out to be 1440x1080 and wrong pixel ratio!

So my questions are:

1. Is the final output rendering really made of those preview files or are original files used to finalize?  (In my case: W:\Scratch Disk\Adobe Premiere Elements Preview Files\uusikokeilu.PRV)

2. If the final output rendering is made from preview files, doesnt it affect to final product when converting the image from 1440x1080, 1.333 aspect pixel ratio again to 1920x1080 and pixel ratio 1.0?

For more clearing I attach some pics to explain what I mean.

Thanks again!

project settings.jpg

clipsettings.jpg

preview file.jpg

• 1. Re: About hd footage, project settings and previewfiles
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

In most cases, NONE of the original footage will be used to create your final output. Particularly in your case, because you're using an MOV as your input (and even though you're outputting to an MOV), your video will be converted to Premiere Elements native worfklow (HDV, in this case) and then converted back to an MOV.

That said, it doesn't look like your source video is one of the standard formats: DV-AVI, HDV or AVCHD. It's more likely from a pocket camcorder or still camera. What type of camera or camcorder is your video coming from?

• 2. Re: About hd footage, project settings and previewfiles
            Mika Järvinen Level 1

Ok, this begins to be quite scary. If the hdv (1440x1080 with 1.333 pixel aspect ratio) is the native workflow, there has happened downscaling with full hd material. Meaning the video quality is not as good as it should be. Even though in project settings there is Full hd format which should really mean full hd.

So the Pre8 downscales my 1920x1080 with 1.0 pixel aspect ratio to 1440x1080 with 1.333 and when I finalize it back to full hd 1920x1080 with 1.0 pixel aspect ratio there must be upscaling.

So conclusion: this can´t be right, or can it? It is almost same as if  I ordered family size pizza to eat by myself and all I get normal size pizza which is enlargened by strecthing.

And the original video I use is standard formats. Its 25 fps Full hd video with 1920x1080 with 1.0 aspect ratio what this editing software should understand. Not interlaced full hd, upper field first, which is very common in here Europe. As is 24p (23,796) which Pre8 can not edit but CAN deliver as output format!!

I have no problems in editing material; because of these forums I have found and be given lots of information which has made my Pre8 almost quite stable. I wonder how much it is asked to have product that would have customized project settings and real full hd editing... And again, 24p isnt marginal groups editing format but a very filmic standard which deliver beauty of the movement. And is very standard format in Europe.

My problem with Pre8 is that this product is almost same as a marriage to someones: you love it and you hate it. I like too many of this products abiiltes but I really hate when too many basic things can be found on over 1100e CS4.

So Adobe if you can hear my lonely voice, GIVE CUSTOMIZED PROJECT SETTINGS!

Pretty please,

Mika

• 3. Re: About hd footage, project settings and previewfiles
              the_wine_snob Level 9

Mika,

With the "big-brother" version, PrPro, one does get fully customizable Presets. It's called a Desktop Preset, and allows one to control every attribute of the footage. Also, as of CS4, one can have a Project, with different Sequence (think "mini Projects" in PrE) settings, hence different formats in the same Project. PrE does not allow for neither the Desktop Preset, nor does it offer Sequences. I guess that one needs to expect something for the extra $, that PrPro costs (roughly 6x the price of PrE).

Hunt

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: About hd footage, project settings and previewfiles
                Mika Järvinen Level 1

Okey thanks Hunt!

That program would be the answer, I know it now. But here in Finland its very expensive. You said it was about 6x more cash, hm. Is it really? Can you give me a place or link. I could really ponder if that is the answer. Thanks again!

-Mika

ps. Btw, just checked that even my other Pinnacle is rendering the preview-files to full hd 1920x1080 format and so it is capable to give sharper output. But otherwise I can not recommend that product for hd editing anything else than putting video files together.

• 5. Re: About hd footage, project settings and previewfiles
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

Just checked the Adobe Store and PrPro is US$799 vs US$100 for PrE. I was off with my guess. Now, I have been doing the full "suite" upgrades, and was estimating that PrPro was about US$600 vs the US$100 for PrE. My "upgrade" to the full CS2 Production Studio was about US$1200, from the CS2 Creative Suite Premium It's a difference of 8x, and not the 6x, that I cited. I do know that PrE is often discounted, so the differential could well be a bit greater, though with PrPro CS5 in development, there might be some price reductions on PrPro CS4 coming?

Good luck,

Hunt

1 person found this helpful
                  • 6. Re: About hd footage, project settings and previewfiles
                    Mika Järvinen Level 1

Ok, it was somewhat more expensive here in Finland: 954 euros meaning approx 1371 dollars. So it is like 10x more cash than Pre8. I bet it is worth of every dollar but it´s heck lot of a money for a program mainly as a hobby for me. But it remains to be my wet dream and in the meantime I try to survive with this Pre8 which has very nice features. Too bad this lacks of some vital controlling of projects.

Thanks again Hunt!

-Mika

• 7. Re: About hd footage, project settings and previewfiles
                      the_wine_snob Level 9

I do admit that it is not inexpensive by any means, but I have loved using it. I got PrPro many years ago, and have never looked back. I picked up PrE, because it can handle files that PrPro just refuses to Import and edit. I use it more as a "conversion tool," to get footage into PrPro. I do some light editing in PrE, but find that PrPro fits my workflow and style better, so I stick with it. I have yet to upgrade to CS4, and will probably wait until CS5, when I get a new workstation and move up to HD material.

Happy editing,

Hunt

• 8. Re: About hd footage, project settings and previewfiles
                        Mika Järvinen Level 1

Just looked CS5 features and those really looked great great indeed. I didn´t however see the possible release date, do you have any clue when or what year it is supposed to come out? Or maybe I was just too hasty..

Your plan is very good indeed; I have to start pondering the same option. It´s gonna hurt one time quite a lot when bying that product and maybe a computer for me but atleast from that on the program is giving more possibilities than I might even ever use. Well the biggest joy is learning new things. And uppgrading the product later on will consume quite a bit less money. If that is even needed to do every time new product comes out as your example shows out.

I hope that learning properly to use Pre8 gives some "ground"  to learn possibly invested PrPro later on more easily. My mind is settled down now. ;-)

Thanks Hunt,

-Mika

• 9. Re: About hd footage, project settings and previewfiles
                          the_wine_snob Level 9
                          I didn´t however see the possible release date, do you have any clue when or what year it is supposed to come out?

Not even rumors yet. Right now, speculation is running pretty high for a release at NAB 2010, April 18 thru 23. Only time will tell.

Usually, chatter ramps up, prior to a release, on the PrPro forum. Right now, we've only seen a few possible enhancements, though none has been confirmed for CS5. Often, about 2 mos. out, Adobe product people will start blogging about enhancements and features. Shortly thereafter, there are likely to be some "leaks," into that forum. Right now, none of that (beyond those "possible" enhancements) is happening, so it's all just speculation.

As I am looking to upgrade (computer and OS) around mid-year, that will give me time to read reviews from the early adopters, should CS5 come out Qtr 2, 2010. I am hoping that CS5's release will go more smoothly, than did CS4, which has just now really gotten on a firm footing.

This ARTICLE might give you a sneak peek into CS5, or maybe just a glimpse of what the future beyond will be.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 10. Re: About hd footage, project settings and previewfiles
                            Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

The general rule is that the Elements series releases new versions every year while the CS professional series releases new versions every year and a half.